Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooo disgusted with myself!

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Oh dear!! Perhaps it is just one of those days!!! Get yourself a cuppa and some chocolate and it will be fine!!!!!Well it works for me!!! (Sorry I.m English! A cup of tea here is the answer to everything!!!)
    A cup of tea and a pound of chocolate cures everything :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hang in there you will get better. Your name says it all - love and care are part of making memories :!: :!:

hey don't be so hard on yourself we all mess up sometimes I can't see a straight line, can't draw one even with a ruler but I keep on trying. My STD is always somewhat wonky but I love quilting so hopefully anyone who gets some of my quilts will just say at least she tried.
    retiac

Power Poster
    practice makes perfect and as far as SID you really need to go slow.

Quote Originally Posted by retiac
    hey don't be so hard on yourself we all mess up sometimes I can't see a straight line, can't draw one even with a ruler but I keep on trying. My STD is always somewhat wonky but I love quilting so hopefully anyone who gets some of my quilts will just say at least she tried.
    retiac
    My geometry teacher told me there is no such thing as a straight line. So we needn't stress over it :lol: :lol: :lol:

ya want to know why I don't post really close up views of my quilts? My SID are all over the place but I pick a good spot and take a picture of that area if I think a close up is needed.
    So don't let it get to you. I use to feel the same way and I have been sewing (clothing) for years. Quilting is fairly new to me and YES I make lots of mistakes but I'm hanging with it because some day I know I will finally get one Almost perfect, until then I will keep going and learn as I practice. So should you.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
    Henry Van Dyke must have been a very wise man when he said, "Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." The same goes for sewing and quilting. Try to look at your quilting as if it was someone else having done it. Would you be unkind in assessing their efforts or would you choose to be a cheerleader for someone just starting out? I'm betting you'd be kind. And the longer you spend reading posts on this site, the more times you'll read about quilters who stockpile their pieced tops, because they are hesitant to try quilting them. You have lots of company, hon. Soon enough you will be looking back on your first attempts with fond memories and laughter.

You are so brave to quilt using a DSM!!! I made 4 placemats that I quilted on my DSM, with the feed-dogs up and no walking foot - what did I know???! Hated it and decided only very exceptional people could ever quilt on a DSM, knew I wasn't one of them and promptly went out and bought a longarm! I love watching Leah Day quilting on her DSM and I'm totally blown away by what she can do, but I know I'd never be able to do the same thing on my DSM. Kudos to you for continuing to work at your quilting, you will get better the more you practice and you are so much braver then I will ever be!!!

ya but---Leah Day is FMQ on an 8" square ! love her designs & so appreciate her posting them free. SID is usually for the birds. serpentine stitch makes it look so easy & looks good too. FMQ is not an easy thing. If you can remember that the needle will follow your hand & look at where you are going, not where the needle is hitting. your brain can do that. you do not look at the hood ornament of the car when you are driving--you look at the road ahead. forget all the rolling & folding, just bunch it up around the area you are doing.do that, move to the next area.
    smooth curves are hard to do all the time ! also helps to remember to keep your shoulders down.don't hunch.
    do some small charity quilts & just relax 7 have fun. you will get the hang of it and wonder what ever scared you so much. oh, get Machinger gloves. (by the time you read all of these letters, you will be exhausted. but the great
    number of replies shows you how many of us have felt the same way--or maybe still feel that way)

The wiggle/wobble stitch or any decorative stitch is the new SID. Does anyone really like to do SID, I sure don't.

Listen, I have taken many classes on free motion quilting and the mantra is, "practice, practice, practice". My first stuff, (well, everything is "first stuff") looks horrible, but I am slowly getting better. You cannot do this well until you forgive yourself and allow it to look bad for the practice. Also, no one knows what it was supposed to look like except you!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just had my second class for machine quilting and some of my classmates had a lot of negative self talk. The teacher asked them to please not do that and be kind to themselves. She said that we are in class and learning techniques. How are we supposed to be good at something that we haven't even practiced yet. Thought that fit in here.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
    Step 1: Get some scrap fabric and sew a couple seams together or even make a grazy quilt patch.

Step 2: Take a deep breath, roll your shoulders and get relaxed.

Step 3: Lower the speed on your sewing machine.

Step 4: DON'T look at the needle...too late by that time

Step 5: Go ahead and stitch a couple lines....whatever you feel like doing.......doesn't matter...it's practice.

Step 6: Sit back with a little glass of wine - or grape jucie or water and take pride in what you have just accomplished!

In all seriousness....toss the "it's got to be perfect" idea out the window until it's a quilt that will be in a juried show...and none of mine will ever see those rooms!

Take it slow and you will soon find that you will ask yourself " Why didn I think this was soooo hard?"

And as others have suggested....don't do straight lines... unless you go slow in the beginning. It will come.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :-P

Blog Entries
    Sorry to say, but practice is the answer. Go to http://daystyledesigns.com. She's great has lots of filler designs, and a lot of quilting info. Most of all try to relax and enjoy it.

Not one of the very best quilters on this board, started out an expert. It takes time and practice; you have to love the learning process. If I was afraid to post my mistakes, I would never share a project. Let us enjoy your learning experience too. And don't be so hard on yourself

I have been piecing quilts for about 20 years now and I still don't do my own quilting. Oh, I can SID but I also jump out of the ditch once in awhile. But you show me someone who can create the perfect quilt from start to finish. I bet the number is low!! Keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrb
    Try using masking tape along seam to SID. This is how my daughter learned to SID.
    Masking tape or painters tape can also be used to quilt beside so that you don't need to mark your lines for quilting 1/4" from the seam or any echo quilting, especially when doing hand quilting. I use 2" wide tape at a slant when I am quilting a wide border. No marking! For one quilt, I marked a chain pattern on copy paper, pinned it to the wide border, and sewed a straight stitch just as fast as I could sew. It worked beautifully. I plan to try it again.

Blog Entries
    Did you use regular size paper to mark the pattern on? Maybe you got more than one row on it? I love whatever works tips.

For one quilt, I marked a chain pattern on copy paper, pinned it to the wide border, and sewed a straight stitch just as fast as I could sew. It worked beautifully. I plan to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Did you use regular size paper to mark the pattern on? Maybe you got more than one row on it? I love whatever works tips.

For one quilt, I marked a chain pattern on copy paper, pinned it to the wide border, and sewed a straight stitch just as fast as I could sew. It worked beautifully. I plan to try it again.
    I cut it in strips just wider than my chain, taping the pieces together to make it as long as the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Thanks...you're a smart quilter!

I love quilting, knitting, crocheting, tatting, sewing, etc. I just like to find the easiest and quickest way for me to get the desired results. Then I can do some more.

Blog Entries
    I no longer do most needle work, but agree with you. Using good tools & learning as you go...before long it's done & time to find another project.Quilting has taken over, so it's mostly something quilty.

Quote Originally Posted by needlenut
    I love quilting, knitting, crocheting, tatting, sewing, etc. I just like to find the easiest and quickest way for me to get the desired results. Then I can do some more.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I just worked on hand quilting a baby quilt last week and when I took it off the frame all I could think was "How am I ever going to give this as a gift, it looks so lame." But, you know what? The recipients of the quilt thought it was marvelous. So now, I'm going to concentrate more on how much love I sew into the quilts and less on how "good" they are. We're bound to get better with practice.

I want some of that ice cream too!!!! LOL Do not quit!! It just takes some practice - it will get better - as the others have said, we all have been there!!!
    Try making some small quilted projects to do your practicing on. Maybe some hot pads, or baby quilts, or even just some quilted fabric to make something out of (purse, parts of a jacket or clothing) for later use.
    Chin up -- it will get better, and you will laugh about it later!!

One thing I did for quilting a diamond grid was to use wide blue painter's tape. Tape a piece diagonally across quilt, then stitch down the edge. Keep moving the tape, and lining it up evenly. Since it is painter's tape, it does not leave any residue on your quilt top. You will have to change the tape piece once in awhile. Quilting a long straight line like that helps you get the 'feel' of handling the quilt top and adjusting your machine speed.

I have used the blue painters tape and it helps a lot like Laurie said. It has been a life saver when I hand quilt and machine quilt. Straight lines a go go.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast