Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooo disgusted with myself!

keep at it. take a day or two off but don't give up. you'd be surprised how critical quilters are of themselves while others especially those you give quilts to are not so critical and love the work you did.

I actually think that 'stippling', or just wandering around with your stitching is much easier than SID. I have fun with the meandering part, but not with SID. Don't be so hard on yourself...relax....have some fun! :) Maybe some chocolate would help! :)

can I come to the party? I get like that from time to time, and I am a good quilter/teacher/lecturer. When this happens, I go do something else and come back to the project with a new eye, new mind - I look at it like it is a challange - and I get through it in a positive manner and excited to work on it.

When I think that my work is awful I always remember the day when one of my daughters got married. While she was coming up the aisle with her father, I was worried that everyone would notice a little error that I had made sewing her dress. There was a point in the front, I sewed one stitch too far , it made a tiny crease. The bodice was covered with lace and pearls. Do you think that someone would notice it. Because I knew, I was feeling bad! The best quilter has always room for improvement, instead of blaming yourself look at what you accomplished and be happy for what became easier!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the quilting? yoiks! you can hear the angels laugh, cry, and sometimes call ralph! but they surely do not sing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Now there's an image I won't lose too soon. Hurling angels. ROFL! Thanks Patrice, I needed a laugh today.

I buy cheap fabric $1 a yard if I can find it and practice, practice. When I get done, yes, the stitching is not great, but I bind it anyway and use it as a utility quilt and with every one of these I see improvement; and I don't feel like I destroyed a good pieced top. I am looking forward to the day I feel comfortable enough to quilt one of my pieced tops.

It's OK. Some of us are destined to be quilt top makers and not quilters. Fortunately, my daughter is a long arm quilter, and I don't have to worry about finishing the quilt. But, before she became a LA quilter, I sent my quilts out when I could afford it. FMQ and stitch in the ditch are not my forte.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    Been there, done that. We will commiserate with you all you want. I will say, it really does get better!
    Bj is right it does get better..just keep on going !!!!!!

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroltee
    We learn through our mistakes……….So keep on practicing soooooooooon you will be a genius. :thumbup:
    LOL, can't wait for that day! :wink:

RDM
    Blog Entries
    I had to reply because you stated so well how I recently felt over my machine quilting. I was bummed for a week over my poor stippling. B4 quilting I did 2 days of practice and all was well then but not when I got to the larger quilt. Now it's back to more practice and smaller quilts. I would encourage you as I am myself to keep at it-we're in the learning curve right now, and for large quilts, longarm quilters are worth it.

Your walking foot may be pulling your fabric to the side. Try feeding your fabric at an angle instead of straight in. When starting set your needle in your drawn line and then pivot your fabric so it approaches your needle at a slight angle. On mine the angle needs to be about the same as the minute hand on a clock reading 10:27 or 10:28.

Blog Entries
    I have been sewing for over 50 years. Today I spent several hours ripping out my whole quilt. It was all bunchy and out of alignment. It's like cooking. One does well for months then all of a sudden you start to burn things or things don't,rise. Keep going it will pay off.

Blog Entries
    The quilt I just had to rip out has very fluffy batting. This makes sewing very hard to stitch.

I understand where you are coming from,been there. Keep plugging away it will come to you .
    Gloria :-D

Practice Practice Practice....... I never took a class & my first time I wanted to make a quilt I didn't even know about 1/4 " seam & I didn't know how to quilt it but by looking & asking & practicing I can quilt.. Keep your work & make another one it doesn't have to be big and then compare & you will see how far you have come.. Happy Quilting, Shirley

Blog Entries
    I've never tried SID.....too scared :-) I think everyones work looks better than mine,but long ago I decided so what.Piecing quilt tops is a fun,relaxing thing for me.My work isn't perfect,not even near,but that's ok.

I admire others work,but still enjoy my own.We're all in it together.

BTW.....if you want to practice lines.....use plaid or patterned fabric with lines.

Everyone is right don't be hard on yourself. I am not perfect with quilting my own quilts but I'm proud I can do it and it does get easier with time. Just enjoy your quilt making and be proud you are a QUILTER!!!

I think SID is not so easy just because of what you said. I have given up on that and use decorative stitches, many times across the seam lines. That way it even hides when my seams don't match perfectly. It can't be way off, but I have wiggle room with slight variations.

Arlene

I have lots of finished quilt tops, table toppers, table runners, and wall hangings done and waiting to be sandwiched and quilted - guess I'm just afraid to start FMQ - straight lines I can do, but FMQ looks like much more fun!

After years of practice, mine are getting a lot better. Problem is I know where the mistakes are, no one else has ever found them. I think we are our own worst enemy when it comes to critisism

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
    If you look up SID in the quilter's dictionary, it says to sew R-E-A-L S-L-O-W-L-Y! That is the only way I can follow the lines, and I used to work in a sewing factory! If you decide to post, we will ride by real fast, just for you. Straight sewing does not make a quilt any warmer....

did you know that the amish who are known for their quilting, make at least one mistake in every quilt because only god can make something perfect! see, you don't have to worry about your mistakes!

I agree, chin up, enjoy yourself in your adventure with quilting... you will improve with practice. Save the quilts that you aren't happy with for the car for the kids to keep warm on cool nights, or to use in the park or on the beach.

As far as SITD, try a stitch in the ditch sewing foot, it does help, but if you don't have one and not ready to buy one maybe to discover that it doesn't help you, use a decorative stitch to go down the seam.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Practise, practise, practise. Just make up a rough sandwich with batting and two bits of waste material and keep quilting on it until it starts to look OK. You will eventually improve and continue to improve with each quilt. I was frightened at one stage when a friend got me to help her quilt some charity quilts - now I still get out the rough piece before I start, and do about ten minutes of 'loosening up' exercises on it and then get going on the quilt. Just be confident and consistent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Hey....at least you are trying to quilt!! I have one quilt top done (My first) and am working on a 2nd and I have not so much as attempted to quilt them....too scared!! PLEASE don't give up or I'll be that much more horrified to even try!
    I'm to afraid to even start quilting. I tie my finished tops. This is my easy way out! It reminds me of quilts my mom used to make when I was a child. When they look at mine, perhaps it will spark one of the grandkids to begin making quilts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast