Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooo disgusted with myself!

Blog Entries
    everyone is bad at first, there are very few people in the world who can just sit down and stitch beautifully right from the beginning, instead of beating yourself up put together some small quilts and start practicing on them start small (like a 12" square) you can make it into a potholder later...as you get good on ones that size make a 15" or 18" square and keep practicing, making your practice projects a little bigger as you master each size. you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly you are quilting queen sized beautiful quilts.

Blog Entries
    Do not be so hard on yourself. I made a quilt and to this day I still do not feel comfortable even attemting to quilt it. I have practiced on potholders and oh my !!!! I cannot even follow a line I traced..

You may want to try stitching a 1/4" from the ditch, I like this much better, I can't sew a straight line either. I usually FMQ with a large stiple, after you wash and dry it it will look okay. Look at it across the room and it will look good.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Been there. Oh how I wish I didn't understand but I sure do!

I used to take my quilts to the longarmer until I got one myself. I couldn't quilt those big quilts eighter, don't feel bad.

Chances are very high that if you posted a picture the problem would be pretty much invisible. And not every technique is for everybody. I was a dreadfully perfectionistic knitter, so when I took up quilting I vowed never to rip anything out, no matter what....it's led to some creative applique, some pretty hideous FMQ (which the recipient still thought was brilliant) and amazingly few orphan blocks. Pick something fun and do that. Maybe you don't even really like SID.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
    Nobody is born knowing how to do it. Practice makes perfect. You are probably the only one to notice. If other quilters do notice I would hope they would have the good manners not to mention it, as I'm sure they could all remember when they first started.
    For any non quilter who should be so rude as to point it out just ask "when did you make your last quilt"? Rest assured the people who receive your quilts will not be looking for what you consider faults. They will be more interested in wrapping themselves in the love that your quilts carry.
    Don't give up. Just make more quilts so you can practice more.

The first time I tried to do any machine quilting was horrible I was out of the ditch, My 12 little practise squares were birds nests and my poor faithful machine stopped! Meanwhile a 13 year old in the class could write her name,do circles, squares the whole enchilada1 What a day that was.I had visions of having a quilt done that day so I took my poor machine in for repair used little squares of muslin and batting and worked on these I still can't do it perfect but it is passable most of my loops are round and things are better. The only way I can do an form of SID is with my walking foot without it I'm out of the ditch and off the road

Blog Entries
    I can't stitch in the ditch either and I don't dare try free motion. My straight line quilting isn't straight at all but no one seems to mind.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I'm still there with my quilting but when I am done no matter how bad it looks I'm proud of myself for not giving up. Do I post a picture on here? Oh yes I do because I want to show off my accomplishment.

sounds like you had a day like mine....

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66642-1.htm

I like SadieMae's idea - the decorative stitch instead of SID.

I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
    Ok, if you can't stitch in the ditch without going outsidet he lines, use some of those decorative stitches that work with the design and stitch in the ditch with that.

FMQ and do swirlies instead of stippling.

Ok do you doodle? If so what do you doodle?

Quote Originally Posted by e4
    Why on earth would anyone think SID is easier than other forms of quilting. I find that it actually is much more difficult than trying to do wavy lines, stippling, or other quilting. It is way too hard to move a whole quilt (or a big machine) in straight lines. My DS made a doggie jacket and just shook the whole thing back and forth under the machine until it was all quilted. It looked great after it was all done. Wiggle and dance while you quilt and quit worrying about straight lines!
    I like this lol

Maybe you try too hard and are overcorrecting too much. I used to do this. Slow and tedious. Finally one night I thought I would just put the pedal to the metal in order to get done. And use the quilt in a dark corner of the living room. Actually, it came out pretty good and my SID was so much better when I wasn't "on top of it" all the time. Just a suggestion. I have one machine that is way better than the other for SID'ing. Don't give up.

I hate SID...do it very seldom. And the people I make quilts for just love the stippling. Little do they know that it is so easy. They ask..."How do you put all those little curli qu designs in there"? HaHaHa!!!! Let them keep thinking that design is really really hard. I'll never tell!!! What they don't know won't hurt them...just make me feel gooooood!!! So don't be so critical of your work...whatever you do you are creating something that a lot of people cannot do!!! Just go for it.

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    My first quilting experience was about 20 years ago. I made these placemats (I guess I was doing FMQ and didn't know it back then, lol). I get them out every fall, they have been washed many times and are still holding up. I did a zigzag stitch. I think being young and more carefree made it easier back then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am sending you a quilting hug!!!! You are just having a bad day....try doing another stich or better yet, take a break form it, have a cup of coffee and a choc candy bar!!

I've been quilting for about 25 years....love the creative part of picking the pattern and fabric and watching the top come together. HATE the quilting part....so I do as little as possible. Put PolarFleece on for backing and batting so it needs little quilting, and what it does get, is utilitarian at best. Hang in there and whatever you do----DON'T USE ME AS A ROLE MODEL!!!!!!! Practice quilting and you'll get it figured out, I promise.

see if your machine has a SID foot..it helps..don't be so hard on yourself...take your time...start on small projects first and work your way up..it could be too that your trying to fit a bit rolled quilt into a small throat..doesn't work too well...every quilt is a learning experience...more onto the next...you will get it..blessings

I've decided there are some things I do fairly well, and some things I don't do well at all, and no amount of practice will help me with the tools I have. I can't afford to buy a longarm, and I don't know how good I would be on one anyway. I made the conscious decision about a year ago that I would basically just stick to handwork, and leave the machine quilting to others, and except for the baby quilts I've made, I've stuck to that decision, and I'm a lot happier. Also, on the quilts I have done, invisible thread is a good choice. My mistakes, and there are many, don't show as much.

I love you Avatar. Is it your pattern or does it have a name where I could find the pattern somewhere.

I agree that SID is for the birds. A special foot is a help. I saw one lady use rick rack over the seam which added an embellishment and hid the "not so great" stitch in the ditch. 1/4 inch echo stitching is very easy and quite pretty. Copying a pattern on copy paper, pinning it to the quilt, and free motion quilting over it is very easy and doesn't need a walking foot for a smooth line. Who cares if every stitch isn't the same length on FMQ.

I am with you, I feel the same, just finished quilting a quilt top, it was that way and I look at myself and say. Self you have been doing this for a while, you can't sew a straight line and everything you make is wonky. What is wrong with you. My problem is tho, no matter how hard I try, it doesn't get any better. I guess I had better put the rest of the word on my forhead. I had stu there time to put pid.

Rita

I am still in the process of learning - it seems to go on forever for me. I did find that if I quilt 1/4" from the seam, rather than in the ditch, I can ge a straighter line. Maybe this would help...

Please don't be so hard on yourself. If you look closely at pictures of the quilting in the quilting magazines, they are not perfectly quilted either. Just enjoy the process and don't worry about perfection. Quilt away then stand back and take a look at your quilt, let it rest a couple days and you wouldn't see what you thought was terrible. Have fun!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast