Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sooo disgusted with myself! >

Sooo disgusted with myself!

Sooo disgusted with myself!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

I just had my second class for machine quilting and some of my classmates had a lot of negative self talk. The teacher asked them to please not do that and be kind to themselves. She said that we are in class and learning techniques. How are we supposed to be good at something that we haven't even practiced yet. Thought that fit in here.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
Step 1: Get some scrap fabric and sew a couple seams together or even make a grazy quilt patch.

Step 2: Take a deep breath, roll your shoulders and get relaxed.

Step 3: Lower the speed on your sewing machine.

Step 4: DON'T look at the needle...too late by that time

Step 5: Go ahead and stitch a couple lines....whatever you feel like doing.......doesn't matter...it's practice.

Step 6: Sit back with a little glass of wine - or grape jucie or water and take pride in what you have just accomplished!

In all seriousness....toss the "it's got to be perfect" idea out the window until it's a quilt that will be in a juried show...and none of mine will ever see those rooms!

Take it slow and you will soon find that you will ask yourself " Why didn I think this was soooo hard?"

And as others have suggested....don't do straight lines... unless you go slow in the beginning. It will come.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :-P
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Sorry to say, but practice is the answer. Go to http://daystyledesigns.com. She's great has lots of filler designs, and a lot of quilting info. Most of all try to relax and enjoy it.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 PM

Not one of the very best quilters on this board, started out an expert. It takes time and practice; you have to love the learning process. If I was afraid to post my mistakes, I would never share a project. Let us enjoy your learning experience too. And don't be so hard on yourself
Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 AM

I have been piecing quilts for about 20 years now and I still don't do my own quilting. Oh, I can SID but I also jump out of the ditch once in awhile. But you show me someone who can create the perfect quilt from start to finish. I bet the number is low!! Keep at it.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by jrb
Try using masking tape along seam to SID. This is how my daughter learned to SID.
Masking tape or painters tape can also be used to quilt beside so that you don't need to mark your lines for quilting 1/4" from the seam or any echo quilting, especially when doing hand quilting. I use 2" wide tape at a slant when I am quilting a wide border. No marking! For one quilt, I marked a chain pattern on copy paper, pinned it to the wide border, and sewed a straight stitch just as fast as I could sew. It worked beautifully. I plan to try it again.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 AM

Did you use regular size paper to mark the pattern on? Maybe you got more than one row on it? I love whatever works tips.

For one quilt, I marked a chain pattern on copy paper, pinned it to the wide border, and sewed a straight stitch just as fast as I could sew. It worked beautifully. I plan to try it again.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
Did you use regular size paper to mark the pattern on? Maybe you got more than one row on it? I love whatever works tips.

For one quilt, I marked a chain pattern on copy paper, pinned it to the wide border, and sewed a straight stitch just as fast as I could sew. It worked beautifully. I plan to try it again.
I cut it in strips just wider than my chain, taping the pieces together to make it as long as the quilt.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 AM

Thanks...you're a smart quilter!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
Thanks...you're a smart quilter!
I love quilting, knitting, crocheting, tatting, sewing, etc. I just like to find the easiest and quickest way for me to get the desired results. Then I can do some more.