Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch.  Is it all equal? >

Starch. Is it all equal?

Starch. Is it all equal?

Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 PM

I agree about the bugs not being a problem. I have used all types of starch and left it for months ant never had a bug. I'm in Michigan lots is bugs in my area but maybe the hard winters I'll them all. Guess you would have to try it in your area.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:07 PM

I use both. I use Best Press when I am ironing fabric and want to get the wrinkles out. If I am going to cut any blocks with bias, I starch the heck out of the fabric so it won't stretch. I have not had any issues with bugs and sometimes I am months getting back to a project. I have not tried starching the back, but will try that on my next back.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I get peeved when someone says don't buy this or use this because it's too expensive. Maybe a new car but starch?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM

The difference between Best Press & Starch is that, with Best Press you can iron right away & you will have no flakes, with starch you have to let it dry a tad into the fabric, while still wet, if not the heat will create white flakes on your fabric. I use both depending on what look or feel I want.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM

I've bought just about every starch or starch-like product out there. I think my absolute favorite is sizing. What really makes me happy is a bottle or can that sprays well and doesn't drip big globs on my fabric.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM

I've never had any problem with bugs and Florida is pretty buggy. I frequently use starch but I'll spray the fabric and then roll it up and let it mellow for the starch to absorb into the fiber of the fabric. If you press right away you get flakes and a gunky iron. I bought a bottle at Sally Beauty Supply that was for hairspray and it sprays in a fine mist. I really like it for starch. No globs or over wet spots.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 AM

I like my fabric very stiff when cutting for piecing, so I mix 2/3 Sta-Flo to 1/3 water and put the mixture in a spray bottle. I put the sprayed fabric in a plastic bag and keep it in the freezer until I am ready to use it. I do use Mary Ellen's Best Press for my final pressing of the quilt top and any time I have a wrinkle that I have trouble getting ironed out. I would not want to sew without either Sta-Flo or Mary Ellen's Best Press.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Mary Ellen's is not starch; it is advertised as a "starch alternative".
I don't believe this is true, I think it is starch. The MSDS sheet for Best Press says it's in the "starch family". I think they clarify the starch to make it clear; add perfumes, dyes, and a surfactant to make it absorb quicker; and market it in specialty stores like quilt and fabric shops instead of the grocery store. They can call it an "alternative" because it gives us a choice over the standard starches we've been using for years.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

I bought the new Flatter spray. I like it better the Best Press. The best starch to use is Oxford and Wells. I buy it at Amazon. I use Sta Flo to make extra heavy starch. I use extra heavy when there are small pieces to cut and sew. There are many options available for everyone.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM

I mix my own with the blue stuff from walmart but I do love the lavender Mary Ellen's best press I spritz and iron my pillow cases and few blouses, smells so nice when I go to bed and have been asked what kind of perfume I'm wearing when I wear the blouses but now I can't find the lavender anymore the sewing store I use to get it from never seems to have the lavender so I'll have to look online when I run out.