Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch.  Is it all equal? >

Starch. Is it all equal?

Starch. Is it all equal?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I am a big fan too Anita. I have about worn out your book Rotary Cutting Revolution. I really like your tips and methods.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
You may be right. The homemade recipes that mimic Mary Ellen's Best Press are basically vodka and water. Vodka is made from fermented grains, which means the base is organic. Technically that classifies it as a starch. However, if you compare the pressing characteristics of Best Press to sizing and starch, it much more closely resembles sizing.

The marketing of Best Press is ambiguous. I have a bottle here that says "The Clear Starch Alternative". That could mean different things -- for example (1) that it is a clear starch instead of a white starch, or (2) that it is clearly an alternative to starch (ergo, not starch), or (3) that it is an alternative to starch that happens to be clear. I never even thought of the first meaning until you brought it up.

Maybe it's in-between. An organically-based sizing.........

Edit: Should add that I have a bottle of Best Press here that was given to me about a year ago. I haven't used it, but it is more than half empty from evaporation. I think that is because of the alcohol in it. Spray starch, Sta-Flo, and starches mixed from powders do not typically contain alcohol and also don't evaporate. So, for me, it is difficult to classify Best Press as a starch; it acts much more like a sizing.
Eek... I just bought 2 gallons of it on sale from JoAnns. I better get in there and start using it.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I like to make my own..It is better than any I ever bought and it is cheap to make...