Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticker Shock >

Sticker Shock

Sticker Shock

Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by echoemb
I always suspect that they raise the prices on items so when they put them on sale they are the regular retail price after you apply the coupon.
i've always felt that way too. i buy my batting online by the roll. but haven't bought any in a while
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 AM

I just got 4 queen size heirloom warm and natural, which is my fav, for 13.00 each canadian from connecting threads. They have their 40% off battings all the time and if your order is 50.00 or over then shipping is free in US and 7.00 in Canada. Sorry but I can't beat their prices anywhere here for even close to that. I also order their books and fabric all the time, the fabric is gorgeous and I just order from the clearance section which is huge savings. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 AM

I have a Joann's 15 min from me. Our Walmart does not carry fabric or yarn anymore. We do not have a QS . So Joanne's is it! I am ready to buy batting for an ispy quilt and being new quilter want you help. Will warm and natural be ok? It's for a toddler now and I made it twin size but don't know if it will be use on a bed or just on floor for play.
.iit is for my first great graandchild. I will post pic when done but be kind as I am self taught. Lol
Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shayna
I have a Joann's 15 min from me. Our Walmart does not carry fabric or yarn anymore. We do not have a QS . So Joanne's is it! I am ready to buy batting for an ispy quilt and being new quilter want you help. Will warm and natural be ok? It's for a toddler now and I made it twin size but don't know if it will be use on a bed or just on floor for play.
.iit is for my first great graandchild. I will post pic when done but be kind as I am self taught. Lol
Warm and Natural is what i use 95% of the time..IF the quilt top has a lot of white in it, i get the Warm and White.
check out the packaged W&N first..if you have a coupon, you may be able to get a queen size packaged..and have some left for the next quilt.
the W&N on the bolt is going to be 90" wide, i believe.

if you don't have a coupon. Google "printable Joanns coupon", and see if you can get one that way, watch for a 20% off total order too..there may be one out there..
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by carolynbb
My goodness - 118 miles round trip just to hit a JoAnns!! You must live in the country!! That's not a bad thing - I love the counrty - but still...I don't think I'd go shopping very often. I actually like shopping online.
I live in Southeast TN between Chattanooga and Knoxville; and it's about the same distance for me to find a JoAnns also; and I'm in a reasonably civilized area. There just aren't near the fabric stores available in smaller communities any more. There is a Hobby Lobby about 25 miles away; but they have gotten more and more expensive on their yarn and material. I pretty much choose online to buy material any more, esp since many Wal Marts have cut the fabric from their stores also.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 AM

I usually buy all my Warm and Natural at Joanne's when I have a good coupon. The last really good one was 60% off this summer so I bought a whole bolt! Hopefully that will last me a while!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:05 AM

i buy warm and natural from connecting threads when it is on sale.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I like Hobbs 80/20 batting (not the fusible version). It's a very nice soft, but slightly puffy, batting that is good for either hand or machine quilting. Washes up beautifully.

Connecting Threads has it on sale this week, with free shipping if your order is more than $50. A king-sized batt, which is 10 feet wide by 10 feet long, is $21. Here is a link to it:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...m8020Btng.html

Do you mean you are using Warm and Natural batting? I Googled Warm and Gentle batting and couldn't find it. If you are accustomed to Warm and Natural, you will find the Hobbs 80/20 softer with a better drape; however, it will need closer quilting. W and N allows quilting lines up to 10 inches apart; Hobbs 80/20 is more like 4 inches apart.
Thanks for the information on the large king size. I'm ordering one now. It will last me quite a while.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 AM

oops :oops:
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 AM

Until a few years ago we did not have a JoAnn's in the Memphis area but we did have a daughter living in Santa Monica CA and when we went to visit I would take an empty suitcase and visit JoAnn's. Needless to say that was one fun trip and the memories of that trip lasted as long as the stash I brought back. Each time I would ask the manager when they would come to Memphis, and finally someone listened. Good think too as our daughter moved back to Memphis about the same time as the store opening.
Originally Posted by carolynbb
My goodness - 118 miles round trip just to hit a JoAnns!! You must live in the country!! That's not a bad thing - I love the counrty - but still...I don't think I'd go shopping very often. I actually like shopping online.