Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Still working on not feeling guilty >

Still working on not feeling guilty

Still working on not feeling guilty

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM

I've done this in the past with my cross stitch stash, it felt like such a weight lifted and really gave me focus on the things that I wanted to stitch.

I'm not comfortable with hanging on to things just because, or with acquiring things just because they are on sale or were given to me, etc. If it doesn't work for me it doesn't work!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Thank you for your post. It is confirmation for me that I am right in cutting loose with those things/projects that I have packed away. It actually is a good feeling giving up those things that hold me tight to the guilt.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've been giving away lots of quilt kits and fat quarter bundles ($148) to people on my blog. I bought a lot of kits before I realized that I would never make those kits and a lot of those fat quarter bundles aren't my favorite fabrics. So, I had some giveaways and I found homes for a lot of them. One gal got 14 quilt kits. I just sent a gal the $148 FQ bundle and a $129 quilt kit that I knew I would never do. I am downsizing to a size I can manage. I am getting there. A few more giveaways and I'll be home free. I hand select the persons I give my fabric to. They have to be someone in need. I gave away a huge box of FQ to a young girl who had no stash at all. Maybe 3 or 4 more giveaways and I'm done. Makes me feel good, also.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM

I quilt with a group at the coast (I live in Oregon) and there have been a few projects that I have passed on to them - one was a quilt that was partially finished that I left on a table at the Community Center where they all sew and the next day when I went in again it was GONE! The person who picked it up to finish had EVERYTHING - even the back for it. I was so happy to see it gone. I gave a completed quilt top to a lady at the quilt shop where I was shopping for a back - I hated the top - she loved it and couldn't believe I was giving it to her - this was several years ago and she still mentions it. I made a Christmas Tree skirt - had it quilted by my favorite longarm quilter, then my son gave me one - needless to say his is more special to me - so I took the one I was making to the same Community Center and offered it to any of the ladies who wanted it - all they had to do was finish the binding (which I had already started and was half done with). It feels so good to let some projects go!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Today was the time to putter around, straighten things up, put a few items away in the new storage format, and cut some equilateral triangles for a friend who is doing a scrap quilt. Rather than burn out, I will read this evening and not even think about fabric, notions, or quilting :-)

The half hexagons have been removed from the design cloth and each set is matched as a pair. The remaining fabric is ready to leave with the blocks when I go to guild tomorrow evening. No Guilt :-) Someone will use it, whether at guild or a thrift store.

The bonus is that I found a blue, yellow and white UFO made with pinwheels and alternating plain blocks. The top is more than half done and the balance of the blocks need to be joined in to strips. It will be fun to complete this cheery top. Of course, I had forgotten all about this and I know just the person who would love to own/use this lap quilt.

This has been a great weekend. Your support is appreciated and I'm sending you hugs and smiles :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 PM

I found a lady who appreciates stuff I cannot through "freecycle" on yahoo. I have also gotten boxes of free fabric that way too. Not all of it was quiltable, but when one is on a budget, one is not choosy!

The lady I ended up 'gifting' to, had her outbuilding/sewing space burn down. She had thirty years of stash, and patterns, thread and machines, notions, etc. All gone. She was so grateful to get fabrics that I thought were unusable! She could make anything of out nothing!!

Holice from the board shared stuff, and I shared it with my quilting cousin! Such a blessing . . .

Quilters rock!
=0)
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 PM

I must try to declutter but half of my fabric stash was my mother's and every time I start I get too sentimental. Must try harder.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:11 AM

Sounds like a lot of us have been trying to declutter our sewing rooms. I was making progress for a while and then hit a brick wall again. Got a challenge recently from some friends to expose UFOs and get some finished up. I did look at all of them. Some of them I'd like to finish; some of them I just have no desire to finish. I am working on a quilt right now that has to be finished for a new grandbaby; then I am going to take a serious look at my UFOs and a lot of other stuff in my sewing room. Once you start decluttering, it does get easier. Or it did for me. I felt a little guilty at first about having bought so much stuff and never using it, but tastes change and stuff happens. If I'm not going to use it, at least it is a nice feeling passing things on to someone who wants it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by norwalkgma View Post
Enlist the help of a friend who sews/quilts or crafts and appreciates your stuff but can help you organize, prioritize and purge. I'd volunteer - have a knack for organization and helped sister set up her room in new house - but alas I'm in Ohio and you are ??? Good Luck - just start
I am between Cleveland and Akron. Unfortunately I have only my mom to share my hobby with and she is worse than I am! I did get 2 bags of stuff together yesterday. Hope to get more today. Looks like a gloomy day but cool, open the windows and let the breeze clean out the house while I clean out my clutter.
I did have a cleaning frenzy yesterday, we were to have 3 people for dinner...got the house somewhat together and hubby calls...he is bringing 4 business associates for dinner....and my grandson and his girlfriend were going to be there too! Uh...? My best friend looked at my stone- white look and said "get me a couple of laundry baskets". She cleaned off the counters, I did the dining room and family room. We ran to the grocery store, got home and finished dinner (our housemate did part of the cooking while we went shopping). Put on a wonderful dinner for 12 people!
Hubby is bowled over...said we did a wonderful job...so impressed! The business associates said they had such a great time because they were treated like family. Whew! As he left for work this morning I said we were having a light dinner tonight...and don't invite anyone.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM

I like the way you think, Kay. I am doing the same thing. Each week I take books, fabric or unfinished projects that I have lost interest in finishing to our quilt club which meets every week. Today I sorted through my crochet books and some of the ones I don't plan to use again are going to quilt club Wednesday. If none of the ladies there want them, I will donate them to a local nursing home. After cleaning out my parents' house and DH's parents' house and my sister's house after they died, I am determined that my kids won't have a lot of stuff to deal with after I am gone.