Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight line vs Fmq >

Straight line vs Fmq

Straight line vs Fmq

Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 AM

Angela Walters has a book and Craftsy class call Dot to Dot quilting that uses a lot of straight line patterns. I used her method on a QOV and it came out beautifully!

Last edited by lovelyl; 01-03-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Thanks Jan, I also ordered one!
Me, too! Thanks, Jan!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 AM

I use my walking foot almost exclusively when quilting but that doesn't mean I only stitch in the ditch or even do straight line for that matter. You can do a lot of curve type things with a walking foot. These can be a gentle zig zaggy type curve going in a straight line to making leaves, flowers, clam shells, orange peel etc. You can't do tight curves or small motifs but most anything else you can do. Give it a try.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Jan on the book. I ordered one too as it seems others have done. I can only imagine these book sellers are going to be perplexed at all of a sudden these orders coming in for this book that has probably been sitting there on their shelves for a while.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 AM

I agree. I am a new quilter, self taught. So, I just go with what I like
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Molly,
Twenty plus years ago, Lee Cleland wrote a book called Quilting Makes the Quilt with many examples of straight line quilting (and free motion quilting). There are wonderful photo closeups and all over photos of how a quilt would look with each individual pattern.

This book set me free from the 'necessity' of doing FMQ in patterns that make me crazy!

There are many used copies available on Amazon right now for less than $2!! Get one for some of the best straight line quilting ideas you will find.

Jan in VA

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...y++Lee+Cleland
I have this book and it is amazing how different quilting changes the look of the quilt.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM

I used to love FMQ even though I am not great with it, I am just OK. I thought I didn't like "modern" quilting until I did a more modern quilt top and thought it needed more modern quilting, like matchstick or something like it. I did real close easy waves with my walking foot and love the texture it gave. It is now my favorite quilt! I see more walking foot in my future.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

this is what I've done also. I have done some echoing but only on the small stuff like mug rugs, placemats.
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have never gotten the hang of FMQ so only quilt with my walking foot. I do straight lines 1" or 2" apart (not SID) or genial curves in an S pattern vertically down the quilt. Edge to edge, no threads to bury either!!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:26 AM

I seldom attempt FMQ anymore...I find straight line with a walking foot to work very well...Angela Walters and Jackie Gering have great ideas for straight line....also a lot of info on google for walking foot quilting...I like the modern quilting look and since I do a lot of QAYG it works very well for me....sometimes I stipple small areas but never have liked meandering very much...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Molly,
Twenty plus years ago, Lee Cleland wrote a book called Quilting Makes the Quilt with many examples of straight line quilting (and free motion quilting). There are wonderful photo closeups and all over photos of how a quilt would look with each individual pattern.

This book set me free from the 'necessity' of doing FMQ in patterns that make me crazy!

There are many used copies available on Amazon right now for less than $2!! Get one for some of the best straight line quilting ideas you will find.

Jan in VA

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...y++Lee+Cleland

I checked this book out from our library some years ago, when I was starting to quilt again, and thought her work was amazing in showing how the different quilting patterns changed the look of the quilt. It was so educational and interesting, but that also was the beginning of my "performance anxiety" over my quilting, so buyer beware!! The important thing to remember, as many of you already said on the thread - Do your own thing - whatever makes you happy, and let the rest of the world go its own way!