Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight line vs Fmq >

Straight line vs Fmq

Straight line vs Fmq

Old 01-02-2016, 05:40 AM

Default Straight line vs Fmq

Since I started quilting about 20 years ago, I have always done fmq, though not very well. I like the process of it but not the finished product. I'm tired of thread and tension issues. I'm so tempted now that I'm in my 70s to do more sid and less fmq. I was just wondering how many of you stick with straight line and how many fmq. For some reason I feel guilty by not fmq everything! Silly I know.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Hi Molly! I am nearing 64 and having poor motor skills, I prefer straight stitching over just meandering. Growing up, I always admired the look of hand quilting. I like the quilting not to distract or over power the piecing of the quilt especially when it is a Masterpiece. I enjoy the look of cross hatching for backgrounds. But now with all the charity UFOs stacking up, I am having to look twice and give some of the quilts to members of our church groups who do quilting on LAs. Thanks for posting this interesting discussion. We are women who have a diverse opinions and I look forward to what others have to say.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 AM

To me, hand-quilting always looks best no matter if elaborate or simple. I also like the "big stitch" or "utility stitch" which is a form of hand-quilting. Meandering almost always looks good and that I can do well. I now often combine FM with straight line and/or utility stitch and instead of stitching in the ditch, I use the feather stitch over the seam instead. It gives a really great look. Cross-hatching can be a lovely choice also. For modern quilts, straight lines look wonderful. Quickest way for me to "ruin" the look of my top is to try to stitch in the ditch so i go over the ditch or 1/4" to each side. MUCH easier and looks better too, imho.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

If the three layers are fastened together, then it is a quilt. It doesn't matter if you FMQ, straight line quilt, hand quilt, big stitch, tie or tack! Do what makes you happy which is the point of a hobby!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:18 AM

You don't have to do just SITD, you can also do gentle curves with your walking foot. I recommend taking Geri's class on craftsy about quilting with your walking foor. She has a lot of different techniques
Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 AM

I prefer SITD. I like the way it allows the piecing to show. Most of my quilts are done with SITD, though I do cross-stitch some.

Dina
Old 01-02-2016, 08:28 AM

I do some FMQ on some of my quilts and I have done straight lines also. It just depends on the quilt and the way I want it to look. If you don't like the way your design turns out when you do FMQ, I know some lady who draws her design on her quilt then FMQ quilts it. But to me that is not FMQ. I use to like to hand quit my quilts but because of my multiple sclerosis I machine quilt now. Just do what makes you happy and enjoy.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If the three layers are fastened together, then it is a quilt. It doesn't matter if you FMQ, straight line quilt, hand quilt, big stitch, tie or tack! Do what makes you happy which is the point of a hobby!
Exactly!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:12 AM

We all have different styles and techniques. FQM ain't the only thing out there, so do what makes you happy, otherwise what you love will become a source of frustration.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM

I am not good at all with FMQ so almost all my quilts are straight line. Whether SID, 1/4 inch or cross hatch (which I love). Every once in a while I will attempt FMQ meandering in the background on a small piece