Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight line vs Fmq >

Straight line vs Fmq

Straight line vs Fmq

Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM

If you are using a home machine...I'd do a gently curving line....that way you don't have to worry if your line is a little off kilter...it will look fine with the curved lines.

Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
Since I started quilting about 20 years ago, I have always done fmq, though not very well. I like the process of it but not the finished product. I'm tired of thread and tension issues. I'm so tempted now that I'm in my 70s to do more sid and less fmq. I was just wondering how many of you stick with straight line and how many fmq. For some reason I feel guilty by not fmq everything! Silly I know.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Thanks Jan, I just ordered myself one also. I've got about 6 quilt tops in various sizes I need to quilt and I've been dreading the FMQ also. New Year to try New Things.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:22 AM

Ha! I ordered and also, and was thinking the same thing.
Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Jan on the book. I ordered one too as it seems others have done. I can only imagine these book sellers are going to be perplexed at all of a sudden these orders coming in for this book that has probably been sitting there on their shelves for a while.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
You don't have to do just SITD, you can also do gentle curves with your walking foot. I recommend taking Geri's class on craftsy about quilting with your walking foor. She has a lot of different techniques
I so a lot of applique and quilt with my walking foot. You don't have to just do straight lines with a walking foot. My Avatar was quilted with a walking foot.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I'm 69 years old and have been quilting for more than 25 years, and I have yet to embrace FMQ on any quilts. I usually make utilitarian/baby quilts and SID and straight line quilting, and I like to use Rayon thread on the top just to add a little jazz to each quilt. I keep saying I'm going to jump into FMQ, but we'll see when that happens. I like to think that however you finish your quilt, hand quilting, SID, FMQ or sending it out to a long-arm quilter, you still get the joy of finishing quilts to keep or give away makes your efforts worthwhile. Just do what makes you happy and don't think you are silly, ever, you're a quilter, first, last and always.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM

I prefer FMQ, there is no marking to do. I don't like SID, my stitches are seldom in the ditch; so it looks really awful.
Sharon in Texas
Old 01-04-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
Thanks for all your comments. I do feel much encouraged!
I do a lot of straight line quilting but not much SITD--it's too hard. I use echo stitching, or just about 1 pressure foot width from the seamline...like a topstitch. Looks great.

If your machine is giving you problems, or you think you have to have that really expensive thread because otherwise it will break, then definitely go with straight line for your quilting!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM

I also do mostly straight line stitching, whether it's cross hatch, outlining a design or whatever strikes my fancy & I think suits the quilt pattern. I am quite intimidated by FMQ & I firmly believe that the quilting should not over power the quilt pattern but should enhance it. I love the look of feathers & now that I have a new Husqvarna Epic machine, I may try embroidering some on my next creation, depends on my mood. I think we should do whatever we feel comfortable with & matches our quilting skills. IMHO.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm thrilled the book I suggested has hit the mark with so many of you. Maybe I ought to go for a percentage commission from the sellers, hahaha!

Jan in VA