Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stripology Ruler. >

Stripology Ruler.

Stripology Ruler.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:41 AM

Whenever I see a Stripology thread, I always debate with myself whether or not I should post because I love mine so much, but I don't know if it's simply one of those love it/hate it type things.

I use a 45mm fiskars cutter and have never had a problem moving the blade up the slot, but I always start in the wedge in the bottom and make sure I'm actually in the slot before starting. I can feel if it's in the slot or not, and cutting with the ruler is just so ridiculous fast for me that I really don't see the point in purchasing a die cutter right now. I can cut a jelly roll in under an hour, including ironing time!

I also always place my hand (carefully!) over the next slot over to the left, to make sure I'm holding the ruler down firmly. Are you having a problem with the ruler sliding, or is it purely getting the cutter to move up the slot? CG has the wonderful grippy stuff on the back so my ruler hardly ever moves - just once in a while when I'm cutting on the trim up line on the left that isn't really holding anything down.

I bit off more than I can chew again this year for christmas, and got a super good deal on a couple very easy panel kits that I wanted to make for my little ones. Very easy - panel and strips, and I was able to iron and cut the entire top in well under an hour using my Stripology. I timed it because I love the ruler and I'm always excited to use it Very sorry that hasn't been your experience!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 AM

I do the same thing Sephie does, I use my left hand and sort of hold down the adjacent slot as I cut up the ruler. I find if I don't do that, sometimes it does shift a bit on me. I've gotten quite good with it and use it for more and more strip cutting. Normally I'm subcutting when strip piecing. I normally cut my strips using my regular ruler as I have issued getting things folded straight if I've got more than one fold.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I got mine out and gave it another try. I used the Quilter's Slidelock to hold down the ruler next to the slot and it worked perfectly. I had a pile of strips cut in no time. Try using a big hardback book to hold the ruler or even a cold iron, anything with weight. I would suggest everyone invest in a Quilter's Slidelock. It is so worth it. The main reason I use it is for safety but have found other great uses for it too.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 AM

I have this and use it all the time. I just wish it were wider with more slots.
Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
I'm about to put this on my Christmas list, so I'm sorry to hear this!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanks Ladies, I've read and read reviews where I could find them, and I think I'm going to go ahead and ask Santa to bring one. Which would you choose - the original or the smaller newer one? Is there a place for both or would that be overkill? I have mild arthritis and need to be able to cut pieces more quickly.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Don't give up on it. I did the same thing and had similar problems as you and put it away for over a year and never touched it. Then I watched the inventors videos, and pointed my wrist up more and walla. Now, I would say it is my best friend. Also, like someone already mentioned to you, it must be on a flat service. If it isn't, it will skip.

Thousands of people can't be wrong when they say how much they love theirs (including me) so take some to time to figure out what your doing wrong.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
use a 28mm cutter.

a 45mm should work, but a 28mm will definitely work.
Thankyou so much Patrice for suggesting this. I bought a 28mm cutter this morning and "bingo" it works like a charm.....I'm slicing like there's no tomorrow! Can't stop grinning!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:36 PM

If you go in at an angle, then go straight up. Use an Olfa cutter, not Martelli. Did you watch the You Tube for hint on how to use it?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 PM

I have a June Tailor Shape Cut that I love. Having not really looked at the details on the Stripology ruler, how does it differ? Both are slotted at 1/2 inch increments. The Stripology is quite a bit more expensive. What are the advantages?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 AM

The stripology is sturdier then the shape cut. My only problem with it is that when you get to the top if you are cutting a folded fabric it always leaves just a little tad of fabric that needs to be cut with the scissors. But it is wort it I love it..