Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestion please:) >

Suggestion please:)

Suggestion please:)

Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 AM

Here is a link to Sharon Schamber's video:
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...our-Quilt.aspx

I've also basted on my kitchen table by using the cardboard cutting board I have for cutting out garment patterns, and basting in portions. Lay the board out on the table, use binder clips to secure the bottom layer, spray baste the batting & top. For tops bigger than the board, baste in sections.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Our local library has a room that if not in use can be ussed for such tasks. The only problem is that if a group show
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
You can baste on a regular table - even a card table.
Just center all layers and let sides fall to the floor. Smooth and stretch out. Baste the section on the top of the table. Then pull the next unbasted section to the top and continue until all is finished. I have basted queen size on a card table this way. The sides hanging over will keep the layers smooth and pulling to the top of the table further straightens it out.
Never thought of using a card table..good idea. Thanks. The floor is just not an obtion for me.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Search here for the Sharon Schamber method. I hope I spelled her name right. She demonstrates how to do it with two boards on YouTube. I bought myself the boards last night and plan to try it soon.
I've been using this method with great results. I don't have a lot of room to lay a quilt out . i use my folding table and boards. i don't care to do basting but the results are worth it.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

I use my grandmothers's 100+ yo quilt frame! I attach the backing with pins, stretch it out on dining room chairs and use c-clamps to hold it. Then I put the batting and top on, and pin or baste. If the top is too big I roll one or both sides until I can reach the middle. Rolling is best done with 2 people, but it's not impossible for 1 person to do. DH helps me. If I am hand quilting, I leave the sandwich on the frame. If I am machine quilting, I pin pin pin. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 AM

I put 3 folding tables together. 2 side by side and one at the end. I have my patio or half of garage or the yard. My house is small so this is what I have to do and it works. I have two leafs for my dining table but it still hangs over. It is a problem. Good luck and I hope you let us know.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM
EC

I followed this video for my last quilt. Not a large quilt but it worked very well. I'd have gone down to the basement if the quilt were larger. I'm not a big advocate of crawling around on the floor! (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 AM

If you have someone who will loan you two fold tables (the long ones) you can stretch it on there. I use masking tape to hold down the quilt back. I have problems with my back so I was never able to pin them on the floor so we invested on two long fold tables butt them up together and then I can roll around them when I need to pin something. I also don't baste the top bottom or batting as the basting spray holds them pretty good while I pin them but I do use lots and lots of pins. Of course now I don't have to do that anymore since my loving husband purchased the Tin Lizzy for me in July. I think I am still more afraid of it then pinning quilts but it does work beautifully just wish I had an even bigger room. Happy quilting. PS: He had also purchased clamps for me on the $ bin that most generally mechanics use so I could save on having to use masking tape they open quite big in the jaw just like a clothes pin and hold down the quilt back great you can also move them easier if you have a wrinkle in the quilt.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM

before you lay it out, starch both the front and back to make them lay flat. I have screwed a foam insulation board that I covered with flannel to my sewing wall. It works miracles. If I were you, I'd check out my church to see if they have a table big enough. I would certainly use spray adhesive between the layers also to keep everything from shifting.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 AM

My quilt group meets in a library and we use the floor or tables in a large meeting room. Check if your local library would allow you to use their space for couple of hours.

The use of a church is a good idea too. The women at my church meet monthly to chat, have supper and complete any crafting project we have at hand. I have laid out several quilts at those events.