Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions? >

suggestions?

suggestions?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Suz

And don't forget the small stack of Post-It Notes used as a seam guide. Just pull off the bottom sheet and adhere to the machine bed. When it wears out, pull off another.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 AM

Don't forget the inexpensive clear cutting mats that can be used to make templates. Also, hair barrettes to hold your binding in place as you sew it down. A fishing tackle box to corral all your small things. A wrist band for pins. A pack of post-it notes to make a wall to run your seams by to ensure a straight seam. Small slivers of soap to mark lines with. A small sponge to dampen the edges of your applique to tuck under.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I use coffee filters as stabilizer when I applique.
Sounds good....but how does this work?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 AM

I use a heavy glass or mason jar to hold my large comes of thread--just set it on the table behind my machine.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Has anyone mentioned parchment paper yet? It works the same as an applique sheet for fusing. I also use it to turn Misty Fuse (a very lightweight fusible web) into a paper-backed fusible. I iron the Misty Fuse between two sheets of parchment paper, then peel the paper off one side while it is still warm.

Used the freezer paper on my ironing board last night for a big fusing job. Used the parchment paper on top to protect my iron from the fusible. Misty Fuse is very fine and hard for me to see. I got a little on the freezer paper. All I did was iron a freezer paper patch over it so I could fuse again.

The everyday items I use the most for quilting are freezer paper (I use it for machine applique too), parchment paper, blue painter's tape, and Elmer's white washable school glue.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Large clean pizza boxes are GREAT for storing your pressed 12 1/2 " blocks flat while making the rest of your blocks. I keep all related fabric and pattern in the same box. Just label the front with name of project and stack them on a closet shelf. It is also easy to transport a project to class. The plastic cutting boards from the $$ store are great for templates and stencils...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Painters tape. Can be used on rulers without leaving a residue. I also use it to hold the corner squares on snowball blocks and flying geese, doesn't distort the block and get in the way like pins do and can be reused. Also used for holding appliqué in place when applying by machine. My roll is covered in small pieces because it can be reused many times therefore making it very inexpensive.

painter's tape is also great for holding a bias cut stationary while you sew. just don't sew over it.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Bobby pins to hold binding in place while you sew. They come in packs of about 100 for less than $2 - at least where I bought them. Very easy to use, no pins poking you through the process.

Glue stick to match points and hold the match while you sew. I taught my grand niece and nephew to use washable glue stick when they made their first quilts. Neither they nor I had to worry about them poking themselves (or each other!) with a pin.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Clear nail polish and salt? What do you do? Paint the nail polish on the ruler and then sprinkle with salt. Never heard of this one.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 AM

golf tees are good for keeping matching bobbin and thread spool together.
I use a secretary type rubber finger to pull my needle through several layers, hand quilting or binding.
As mentioned yesterday in another thread, old fashion planters hold lots of stuff.