Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions? >

suggestions?

suggestions?

Old 09-01-2014, 11:41 AM

I use Chrystal Light plastic containers for my pens & pencils and applique marking tools.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM

I use the clear plastic containers that sheet & round cakes & cookies come in. They are great for putting projects in & also for storing different size squares in. They stack really nice. Also, the filmy plastic sheets that are in the bottom of some meats can be used for templates.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM

I use a cookbook holder for the pattern I am working on, or to hold a magazine
Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeaniedrain View Post
I am doing a demo for my quilting group in Jan. My idea is to demo items that are not made for quilting but have been used successfully. What do you use and how do you use it? Thanks in advance. Jeanie
baby alligator clips to keep ruler instructions with the correct ruler, fishing boxes for hexie storage, cake 9x13 caddy with dome lid and handles for hexie storage, metal cookie tins for portable hexie sewing kit, bar soap or toothbrush/cup holders with suction cups for attachment to car windows to store sewing supplies while traveling, Intuition razor containers for bent pins, needles disposal. Scrap booking carry alls for sewing supply/tools, knitting needle point protectors for scissor point protection
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM

I have a rotating kitchen utensil holder on my sewing table to hold scissors, rotary cutters, small rulers, and other things I use frequently. Lint roller to clean up threads. Cuticle stick to push seam allowances the right way under my needle. I put powder in my chalk markers to mark sewing lines. A desktop file folder holder to hold my rulers.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM

I use an eyebrow shaver to remove a long seam. It is quicker than a seam ripper! You can find eyebrow shavers in the health and beauty aides dept.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:25 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned Glad Press-n-Seal. I put it on my quilt, draw what I want to quilt on it with a marker, then FMQ on the line. It pulls right off after quilting.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Speaking of freezer paper, you can iron it to your ironing board to protect the cover from scorches, etc. This is particularly helpful when fusing, in case you make a mistake. When done, just peel the freezer paper off and toss it. A very inexpensive protective cover!
Brilliant! Just Brilliant!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn1965 View Post
I read this about bonus triangles and now use my ruler in a non traditional way. This worked wonderful. I don't know how to explain it so am just adding the link.
http://www.joscountryjunction.com/tr...nus-triangles/
Great idea, but I will use up the glow tape I just bought (wouldn't you just know it) for the same purpose first. Does the permanent ink come back off?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Has anyone mentioned using dryer sheets ( I use then for several loads, adding a new one in every few loads) as stabilizer behind the background fabric when doing machine applique? This works really well for me.

=