Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Support your local quilt Shop

Blog Entries
    I used to work in retail so I understand about rude customers. That is why I try to never be one. But I am always amazed when the salesclerks are rude to me without provocation. I have always learned to "vote with my feet" and I don't support those shops.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee
    I used to work in retail so I understand about rude customers. That is why I try to never be one. But I am always amazed when the salesclerks are rude to me without provocation. I have always learned to "vote with my feet" and I don't support those shops.
    When I was working as a clerk in a book and video store I actually had a customer scream at me because I didn't have a pen for her to write a check with.

Banned
    I am all for supporting our LQS, and let me tell you...I do!
    But I am careful where I spend my money. If I don't like the way I am treated, I will go spend my money elsewhere. I don't think it my responsibility to help keep them in business, if they are rude, or make you feel like they are doing you a favor. Sometimes I want to say....don't forget who (customers) pay your salary. But I don't return rudeness with rudeness. I just make the decision whether it is worth it to shop in their store.

I rarely shop at Joanns, for various reasons, but will buy notions with a coupon. I also will buy from their remnants table because of the great prices. Great for making purses, tablecloths, and to upholster. We have a couple LQS who honor Joanns coupons for fabric and notions. Would rather give my money to the LQS.

I love most of our LQS, and want to give them my business, as long as they act like they want my business!

But it is hard to beat the convenience of shopping on line (especially in the winter). I can always find what I am looking for (not always easy at LQS) and I love the sale prices. I also receive coupons for on-line stores, and free shipping.

I love visiting quilt shops as we travel, we have met the most interesting people. DH usually checks out the main street of town first & then wanders in, he's always in shock if I come out without at least one bag. I have only ordered 2 times on-line when the fabric line I needed wasn't available after looking at local (within 100 kms) stores.
    I love to shop in small grocery/specialty shops as well..not just to support them, but because I enjoy the atomosphere.

I totally agree. I was looking for a class on the one block wonder. None of the shops were having a class, but The Glass Thimble in Columbus, Ohio came to my rescue. One of the associates walked me through the entire process in a one-on-one situation. I will buy 99% of what I am quilting from them.

we have a great quilt shop that I am glad to buy from. They offer classes and are always friendly. Have gone to another quilt shop that I don't care to ever go back to.

im extremely lucky as there are 3 LQS within a mile ! of my house and thats not including Joanns or Hancocks.One of them is even open on Sunday,the woman who owns is said if she ever opened a shop up she would be open on sundays,when she was a pharmacuetical rep and quilted on the weekends,and if she needed something,there wasnt a shop open,and she did just that.its great

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I see so many people complaining about how rude and awful shop owners are but have you ever considered what kind of customer you are?

I know of one shop owner that quit selling fabric and has gone to just longarm quilting and one of the reasone she cited was problems with rude and demanding customers.
    Well with our experience, we weren't rude nor demanding. She was intent on steering us to the more expensive machine and we thanked her for her time and left.
    I, too was a small business owner for 20+ years. My customers were the life blood of my company. One does not treat a client or potential client like this. To act as if her day was interrupted because you walked in the door. If her "attitude" would have been more professional, she would have had a sale.

I shop at Joann's, the managers there are really nice. They don't hesitate to offer discounts if the merchandise isn't up to par. The fabrics they have are good enough for my uses. I don't break the bank when it comes to shopping for fabric. I buy what I need, scour the bargain bins. I don't see the need to pay $10.00 a yard for a fabric when Joann's has it for $5.00 a yard and it's the same thing. I bought 2 yards of a purple Batik last night for $3.50 a yard. Same stuff as the LQS has for 3 or 4 times that amount.

I have 2 quilt shops near me... well, one is right around the corner, the other is about 25 miles away. But you know what, I will gladly drive the 25 miles! That shop is so very friendly and welcoming, not to mention helpful when I have questions.
    The one around the corner is (most of the time) quite snobbish. The gal designs for magazines and thinks she is above the rest of the world. A couple of times, I have gone in there and was treated surprisingly well, but the last time might just BE the last time I go there. They made me feel like I was a piece of dirt on the floor, for all the kindness they showed.
    So I think the quilt shops should take heed and treat their customers (whether new or regulars) like they really WANT the business.

I do believe that we all have a good attitude going into a LQS because we have saved up or need that special thing for a project. But when a customer comes into ANY LQS they should be acknowledged right then and there. When we aren't well it goes down hill from there. We don't feel like we matter. There are some people that shouldn't even own a business. From all the comments, it still holds true. I do feel all your pain but I believe that those shops need to have letters sent to them about their rudeness. Who knows how many other letters they get?? It might change their ways?????????
    Just a thought............................

Yes if the town supported the LGS I would still be in business. :(

I buy everything that I can from my LQS. I do order a few notions that are not available locally. The shop owner is friendly, greets everyone by name as they come in the door. When a new batch of fabric comes in and there are some that she knows I would like, she calls me on the phone. I buy very little at Walmart.

i am so excited!! My LQS is having a preview show this thursday to show us all the new arrivals!! She has kept a bunch of stuff in the back room so we haven't seen all the new stuff yet! Plus she is doing a few demos and even asked if I would do one on a new ruler-the double diamond. i am so excited for the preview show!!! we even get to shop the store that night!! yeah...i'm saving my money this week for that!!

cjomomma - Yes, the debate continues. I am always suprised at the comments re WM fabrics. Have had no problem with any of theirs - prices are so reasonable and as to their customer service, I do not expect to get detailed info from clerks in any stores, unless it is speciality shops. I will stick with them for my fabrics - Probably because there are no other near, cept JoAnnes and their service and prices are really ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    cjomomma - Yes, the debate continues. I am always suprised at the comments re WM fabrics. Have had no problem with any of theirs - prices are so reasonable and as to their customer service, I do not expect to get detailed info from clerks in any stores, unless it is speciality shops. I will stick with them for my fabrics - Probably because there are no other near, cept JoAnnes and their service and prices are really ridiculous.
    AGREE!

JJs
    Banned
    Speaking of weird things happening - we were, weren't we? LOL
    Yesterday at Hancock's I was looking at the piled up bolts on the mark-down counter. I had my cart (buggy to those in the deep south) beside the counter.
    Along comes one of the clerks and without a word proceeds to abscond with my cart. WTF??!?!?! I said, "Do you mind?"
    She goes, "oh, this is one of the store carts"
    What?
    I said, "well, it was right over there with all the others"...
    THEN, she says, "I'll get you another one"..
    duh
    That Hancocks (the one is Tuscaloosa) has been a mess every time we've been in there. I was really thinking I'd wind up not even buying anything until I found the yellow/blue stuff...

Blog Entries
    I love my LQSs that I go too.

I live almost 50 miles from any LQS. 2 just went out of business. The one wasn't friendly at all,and nobody would help if you had question. I went to one quilt shop with a couple of friends last yr., and when we walked into the store it was like where are the staff. They were watching some video on the internet, and said just look around the shop, when your ready to check out come and get us. We probably could have cut our own fabric, bagged it, and took half of the store. Needless to say we didn't buy one thing.

I get a friendly hello when I go into my LQS. They always ask if I am looking for something special and are willing to assist me if that is the case.

Often times I am just looking with nothing in particular in mind. I like that they respect that and let me browse to my hearts content. They understand that I may leave without purchasing a thing, and that is okay with them. They know that the next time they see me I will probably spend $75 or more.

Only 1 of the four shops I patronize seems to be put out if I don't purchase something. I still will shop there because I like the owner..but her one salesclerk, not so much. This shop has a nice selection of batiks, so I have to go once in awhile. :D

My LQS did not return after Ike came thru, so I have to drive about25 miles to get to one, so I do buy a lot on line now.
    As for friendly LQS, I go to a family reunion in Kentucky (about 20 miles out of Bowling Green) in August and my cousin's wife and I plan a sop hop every year. Each year we go in a different direction. We discovered many were closed, we have found a couple of places that should not call themselves quilt shops, and we have found some delightful ones. We always buy from the shops we like. We have been a little surprised to see how scarce LQSs are in some areas, Nashville for one.

If the shop is not friendly and welcoming, I do not buy anything. Their is no excuse for rudeness. Like the scene in the movie Pretty Woman, "Big mistake".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by renee765
    Quote Originally Posted by fussycut
    Yes, fabric prices are increasing everywhere. I just want to remind everyone to support your local quilt shop. They not only provide fabric but they provide services as well, things that you will not come by on E-bay, Walmart, chain stores, etc. What about the time you needed help with a particular technique-local quilt shop to the rescue. What about the time you needed to learn something new-local quilt shop to the rescue. What about the time you just want to escape the day to day stress of everyone's life-quilt shop to the rescue. Who will help you figure out yardage and make pattern modifications?
    They also provide good quality fabric that lasts and will withstand the test of time. If you are making a heirloom quilt, don't run the risk of using less than quality fabric.
    Most local quilt shops are not in the business to make millions but rather to provide a service to a wonderful group of people - Quilters! We need your support to stick around.
    :) Any suggestions?
    I admire LQS owners and the hard work they do to make their quilt shops popular and successful - almost more of a 'way of life' than a 'store'.

But as I was reading your post, I couldn't help but answer your questions a little differently.

What about the time you needed help with a particular technique - this Quilting Board has come to my rescue.

What about the time you just want to escape the day to day stress of everyone's life - this Quilting Board has come to my rescue.

Who will help you figure out yardage and make pattern modifications? My friends on this Quilting Board have come to my rescue.

Having said all this, it makes me wonder if our modern technology, with the ability to easily order quilting supplies online, and virtual communities (where else could you get ideas from someone on the east coast, west coast, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) that creates a global quilting fellowship have made it extremely difficult for a LQS to stay in business? Thank you for all the work that you do!
    Unfortunately having SS as my only income, I have to agree. We have some large fabric stores here that have wonderful bargains, so though I love to visit LQS's I have to buy where I can afford to. And, yes, get my help from all of you.

I live 20 miles from the nearest LQS and I support them when I can. I do shop online simply because it is convenient and I can't go to the LQS as often as I need things. I have found that some quilt shop owners/employees are awesome and others are NOT. Those that are snobby, etc., well, let's just say that I don't frequent their shops. Different shops for different folks. I love the LQS and want to support them when I can, but there is also the need the order online for those of us in remote locations.

My general philoshophy is to make my purchases at businesses I want to be there next year. I choose to support the bussinesses that provide a real value,,, great choices, great infomation, great people, or just great charma! Plus the "local owner" will be spending the dollars in the comunity , rather than a corp. that profits go WHERE? And its primary concern is with its stock price.
    Got to say my local shops provide more inspiration and encouragement than money can define , that is REAL VALUE.
    Only one local shop was a real downer( snobby staff, lack of service, seemed only interested is selling me a new machine ...contantly ) , they went out of business this spring and ... I had no sense of loss. Now if one of my favorites went out of business , I would feel the loss of a trusted friend and resource... for a long time. Buy/spend where it matters to you if the business is there next month or next year. In this economy it really matters.
    OK , I'll stop the editorial.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    Being fairly new to quilting,, and wal mart not caring their fabric anymore,, I am in a pickle,, lol.. SO although I love the LQS,, we do not have them in Puerto Rico,,, so I am forced to buy online,, or have my mother run and grab what she thinks I would like,,or need. (usually right as well,, but then again mothers know everything right,,lol..) but I understand your post,,, it is true,,,,
    I used to live in P.R. too and suffered from the lack of quilt shops. Ever since I've lived stateside I've been SO grateful for quilt shops! It's when you DON'T have something at all that you realize what you're missing. Now I sure do support my LQS because I'd hate not to have one. That is not to say that I don't shop at Joann's occasionally too. But for good fabric, I go to my LQS! 8-)

I LOVE our one remaining LQS. We had three... one lady moved (rarely went there though it was the closest - she was very rude and always too busy to answer any questions or offer much help), another closed due to the age of the owners (poor people did not want to close but had to) and the third is THE best. They offer a wide variety of fabrics, wonderfully friendly staff and are very, very helpful but leave one alone if one wants to just browse. I do not go often but do go when I have a specific project. There is another quilt shop about 40 miles south - I love going down there as a day out with other quilters - so much fun. It was getting to the point that WM's choices (here at least) were minimal in quality. JoAnn's has some good choices, but the prices are beginning to match the LQS so I'd just as soon support the LQS... and while JA's has wonderful coupons they are making it harder and harder to get the sales - 40% off REGULAR priced items - when all the items are on sale - give me a break.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast