Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sweet Sixteen Quilting Machine >

Sweet Sixteen Quilting Machine

Sweet Sixteen Quilting Machine

Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM

I had researched the HQ Sweet 16 last year because I have back and hip problems and cannot be on my feet for more than 10 minutes. I have to sit for a few minutes to relieve the pain, then I can get up again. I was all set to pay the $4,000, but decided to wait until after the International Quilt Festival held in Houston each year. At the show, I saw a machine that was very similar to the HQ in two models -- the "Take it Anywhere" and "Table Unit" modles. The machine only weighs 35 lbs., so the Take it Anywhere model (which has a clear quilting surface) can be moved very easily. And the price was less than half what HQ was asking. That was a show special price, but the regular price was still less than the HQ. The couple who owned the booth are the manufacturers of the machine and they are in Tennessee. My sister and I sat and FMQ'd and talked to the saleslady for quite some time, discussed it at length at home that night, and went back and each of us bought one the next day. I like not having anything to block the fabric on either side, and I can set it on any table I want. Our guild has a charity quilt night once a year where we finish quilts that have been made and donated, and I plan to take my Sunshine 16 this year, because doing baby quilts with a large stipple are a breeze with this machine.

As a side note, I have a Bernina with a stitch regulator, which I never use. I found that if I set the speed where I want it, I can run the machine at a consistent speed, then all I need to worry about is moving my hands smoothly.

If you want more information about the Sunshine 16, PM me and I will give you their information. And no, I will not make anything off the referral. I just want to see an American business stay in business and see fellow quilters get a good machine.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM

I also have standing up problems so have been researching sit downs for a while. I did end up with the Sweet 16 - it is on its way right now and will pick up at dealer next weekend. Can't wait.

Why not a cheaper one? mai nly because it was impossible to try them or the bottom price was not the one to get or they were just ugly (sorry!). HQ also has a great rep.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM

I have a Sweet Sixteen an its a really fine sit-down-Quiltmachine. I love it and never give them back.

Katharina
Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 PM

I got my Sweet Sixteen back in December and I love it. I just quilted a baby size quilt on it Friday and it was a breeze with so much space. I have the Tru-Stitch regulator and the overlay and I love it. It makes the stitches very professional. I hadn't used the King Tut before, but bought it in pink with bottom line for the bobbin and it was just simple to tension. First try and I had it right. I just can't say how much I love this machine. For this project I found a panto I liked and traced it out on Golden Threads paper started in the middle and just followed it. Then did the next row above and next row below the middle. It worked out great and I had a great design on my quilt.

If you see an earlier post from me... I did order a Sunshine 16 in August 2012 and then cancelled it. A couple months later I got my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen (December 2012) and stitch regulator and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by madamepurl; 06-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM

I have a Sweet Sixteen, and if I could return it, I would. I have had it for a year and have had it in for service three times, because no matter what I do, the upper thread keeps breaking. My dealer can usually make an adjustment, and then it works to finish my project, but as soon as I start up a new project, I'm back to square one.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM

Check out the Baby Lock Tiara!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM

I have a new sweet 16 and am having the same problem with thread breaking. I have adjusted the tension over and over but the thread still breaks. Very frustrating. Did your dealer tell you what to do to prevent this from happening?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:37 PM

I have it, love it. The plus for me is that I can sit down and quilt. The drawback? you have to be careful when you make your quilt sandwich or you will have wrinkles. Mine sews like a dream. It like Superbob bobbins and King Tut thread. Anything else I use I have to fiddle with the tension and I don't like that so I don't use other bobbins or thread. I'm happy with mine though.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 AM

This link for the tention is AWESOME...thank-you!
Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I have one and LOVE it! I keep trying the new stitch regulator they have whenever I go to my dealer's store, but I don't really like it. If you're already used to fmq then it seems too choppy for me, and one more thing to think about. I did spend a couple of days working out the tension thing, but I just saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM and it resolved all my questions. I bought my dealer's demo and it was $32900 including some extra needles, bobbins, & 12 thread cones thrown in.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 AM

I too was impressed with these machines at the LB Quilt Show but my D?H had just bought me a Baby lock Jane so I was in no position to purchase another machine but took all the information in case I win the lottery. Yes, it was not a nice to look at as a Sweet 16 or Tiara but the price was certainly more affordable.

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I had researched the HQ Sweet 16 last year because I have back and hip problems and cannot be on my feet for more than 10 minutes. I have to sit for a few minutes to relieve the pain, then I can get up again. I was all set to pay the $4,000, but decided to wait until after the International Quilt Festival held in Houston each year. At the show, I saw a machine that was very similar to the HQ in two models -- the "Take it Anywhere" and "Table Unit" modles. The machine only weighs 35 lbs., so the Take it Anywhere model (which has a clear quilting surface) can be moved very easily. And the price was less than half what HQ was asking. That was a show special price, but the regular price was still less than the HQ. The couple who owned the booth are the manufacturers of the machine and they are in Tennessee. My sister and I sat and FMQ'd and talked to the saleslady for quite some time, discussed it at length at home that night, and went back and each of us bought one the next day. I like not having anything to block the fabric on either side, and I can set it on any table I want. Our guild has a charity quilt night once a year where we finish quilts that have been made and donated, and I plan to take my Sunshine 16 this year, because doing baby quilts with a large stipple are a breeze with this machine.

As a side note, I have a Bernina with a stitch regulator, which I never use. I found that if I set the speed where I want it, I can run the machine at a consistent speed, then all I need to worry about is moving my hands smoothly.

If you want more information about the Sunshine 16, PM me and I will give you their information. And no, I will not make anything off the referral. I just want to see an American business stay in business and see fellow quilters get a good machine.