Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table next to sewing machine... >

Table next to sewing machine...

Table next to sewing machine...

Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 AM

After watching my work space in our bedroom explode, my DH commented that I needed an empty airplane hangar so I'd have room to stretch out. lol

I am thinking about commandeering our teenagers ping pong table for a cutting surface, etc....not sure how it will feel to use yet. But, (don't tell my kids) I have designs on it.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:55 AM

I have a huge Koala table with wings and extra shelves. I still have a tea cart with stuff on it that I can move around the room as needed.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:08 AM

I have a 10x10 room, used to be the guest room. I decided that since we don't have overnight guests very often I turned it into my sewing room. My husband is really handy, I have a huge L shape work space on two walls. It's 24" deep and counter height. So it's a good height for cutting and I have a higher than normal adjustable office chair and I can just roll around to where my machines are. There is shelving above the tables, I need a stool to reach the highest one where stuff I don't use often is stored. Under the table I have shelves that go the full 24" depth and they pull out so I can see whats on them. Then I have a little tiny desk for my laptop and a bookcase on the wall with the closet. The other wall were the door is the ironing board. Somehow it all fits and works for me. The L on one wall faces a big window that looks out over a greenbelt. Since we park our RV at home we use it for a guest house. We plug it in, hook up the water and instant guest house with all the comfort and privacy they need.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:32 AM

I have a Horn sewing table that opens out on both sides. My quilting machine sits on this along with my serger. To the left of that I have a sewing table with my piecing machine on it. Both tables have drawers that are wonderful to store my notions. To the right of the Horn table is a desk that I use for my embroidery machine. So, actually I have a U shaped sewing area. It is very handy to sew like this. I go to the utility room to iron. That helps me get a little exercise. I also have a long folding table that I use for a cutting table in the room. My room is packed since it is only a 10 X 12 size. That's ok with me bacause I can roll around on my chair and get to everything easily.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:38 AM

A rolling unit with drawers in my right is very usefull to iron.
Attached Thumbnails captura.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I always look when someone posts their new or reorganized sewing room. But what I've noticed no one except me, it seems, needs a table next to the sewing machine.

Just the two of us now so we eat at the kitchen island so the dining room is MINE, kinda. My sewing table nests into the corner, table at my right elbow, swivel chair. Table serves as cutting table, surface for laying out bocks, cut fabric ready to be sewn etc.

Am I the only one that needs extra space close by?

I have one of those wooden tv tables that i can fold up and put away.
You are not alone!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Before we moved to an apartment, I had a large banquet table for my sewing machine with space on the left for my cutting mat, and some plastic shelves to hold some of my supplies. On my right was my ironing board, which was extremely handy, I just had to swivel to my left and I could press my pieces. Now I have a craft table for my sewing machine, with a small 4 ft. table to the left. It's cramped, but when I machine quilt my quilts, I have room to spread out the quilt and since there is a wall in behind my sewing machine the quilt is supported and won't fall off the end. Instead of an ironing board, I have an ironing pad which I made out of a strong cardboard box, covered with batting and muslin, it works. Oh, no you are not the only one who needs extra space close by.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM

The first photo is where my ironing board is most of the time. The second shows how it swings over to my right of the sewing machine. That pic also shows the board my husband cut for me that exactly fits on the drawer to my left. both serve as 'tables areas' when it's needed.

I could do without them but there are certain tasks that go much more smoothly when they are set up.
Attached Thumbnails side-table-1.jpg   side-table-2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 PM

I purposely don't have it all together. I have some space so I get some exercise. Ironing board is in another room. If I sat and had everything at hand I would end up in all sorts of trouble as everything (in me) would seize up. Even in my outside sewing room I have things spaced out. Ashamed to say I don't use that room as much as I should. Now I'm on my own I can sew where I want.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 AM

I have a TV tray made into an ironing board on one side, and a folding table (about 2.5' X 3') on the other side. Everything is within reach, and makes things so convenient.