Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder >

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
OH MY GOSH.... I want that bird fabric April!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!! Can you tell me the selvage info so I can shop for some?
i agree that fabric is lovley. what line is it and where did you get it? i think that fabric would be awesome in a OBW!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM

sounds like a good idea. i was kind of leaning that way. Maybe I can search ebay and the net to find a larger lot of the crane fabric. I think It is hoffman tranquility #8992. have to look real quick
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Robert Kaufman Tanquiltity Screen print D #8992

This is info for Crane fabric. Got it at hancock fabric
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM

I love the cranes and the zebras!! I have been looking at leaves way too long at this point but that will be pretty too. And hasn't the water lilies been done in one? That one will definitely make a pretty OBW!
I find myself saying, 'I wish I had done that one' an awful lot on these threads! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm glad to see it starting up again!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Marcia, that's just cool!

I don't know how you ladies see kaliediscopes in the fabric. When you show pieces of fabric, my brain can't translate it into a kaliediscope. I'm always shocked at what they look like.
me too...great fabrics
Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Marcia, that's just cool!

I don't know how you ladies see kaliediscopes in the fabric. When you show pieces of fabric, my brain can't translate it into a kaliediscope. I'm always shocked at what they look like.
me too...great fabrics
Using a hinged mirror really helps to see the kaleidoscopes that you can make. You just hold it open, so you see 6 reflections in it and slide it along the width of the fabric. I bring my mirror to the fabric store, to preview fabrics before I buy any. After a while, you might get your eye used to knowing what will and will not work.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:21 AM

Hey newestnana! I was just flirting with just this zebra fabric for a future OBW. :-) I kind of hope you will make it, so I can see how it comes out! :-D

knlsmith, I've just been working with a fabric that has lots and lots of repeats, both vertically and horizontally. (About 6'', even less than yours. I'll post a pic on the layout thread in the next couple of days once I've finished piecing.) And from my experience I agree with Cute, as long as you cut small enough, I think you should gt good variation.

If you are unsure, one thing you could do is play with the fabric on paper: print your fabric detail pic six times, stack and cut paper strip and make paper blocks. (I did this on my black and white printer only and even that helped me decide).

Or if you prefer to work with the actual fabric, you could cut and stack your six layers (I'd make them of two or three repeats each) and then cut one strip only . Make that six-layer strip into blocks and see how you like them. At worst you'll have cut your fabric into six large strips (say three repeats minus the strip you've cut), and you don't actually lose more than the one six-layer strip.

Just some ideas.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 AM

knlsmith, I just realised you said you only have 2yds of the cranes! :roll: Sorry that slipped my mind. Can't cut too many repeats out of that for your six layers, so testing on the actual fabric might not be so smart after all.

It will make for a smallish quilt if you decide use it. To give you an idea of the size you can get: I cut 2.75'' strips of my 6'' repeat fabric. I used both halves of four yards and one half of another four yards, which gave me about 255 blocks, for a finished size of roughly 51'' x 65''. At a rough guess you'll get a less than one third, I think closer to one fourth of my size out of the fabric you have, if you cut 2.5'' strips.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Hey newestnana! I was just flirting with just this zebra fabric for a future OBW. :-) I kind of hope you will make it, so I can see how it comes out! :-D

knlsmith, I've just been working with a fabric that has lots and lots of repeats, both vertically and horizontally. (About 6'', even less than yours. I'll post a pic on the layout thread in the next couple of days once I've finished piecing.) And from my experience I agree with Cute, as long as you cut small enough, I think you should gt good variation.

If you are unsure, one thing you could do is play with the fabric on paper: print your fabric detail pic six times, stack and cut paper strip and make paper blocks. (I did this on my black and white printer only and even that helped me decide).

Or if you prefer to work with the actual fabric, you could cut and stack your six layers (I'd make them of two or three repeats each) and then cut one strip only . Make that six-layer strip into blocks and see how you like them. At worst you'll have cut your fabric into six large strips (say three repeats minus the strip you've cut), and you don't actually lose more than the one six-layer strip.

Just some ideas.
salmonsweet: That's a really good idea to print your fabric on paper and then play with the paper instead of cutting your precious fabric. Making up a plan block really helps when doing any block, I think.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 AM

SALMONSWEET:

What a FANTABULOUS idea!! Print on paper and practice. I sure hope CUTEBUNS sees that suggestion. what an awesome tip!

You should start a thread with just that tip.

Going to start working on stuff today, I will def be using that tip and hopefully post some pics tonight or tomorrow morning.