Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tangle Mess! >

Tangle Mess!

Tangle Mess!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

so many interesting ways ...I too used the delicate cycle, and take them out before just about dry. Works for me, sometimes I still have the threads but not as many!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

If you haven't tried the newer threads then how can you know if they aren't better? I always try the new and then decide before dismissing it just because of the price.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 AM

I never prewash anything and there are millions of us who don't. It doesn't matter how much you pay for fabric or how big the pieces are, some of it will tangle and ravel if you prewash it. This is a perennial discussion on this board--I'm in the don't wash it crowd. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm a newbie and I learned that all fabric should be washed before cutting and sewing. Did that and my material came out a tangled mess. Had to get scissors and snip out tangles from one material to another. What should I have done? Any suggestions or is this a common problem?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
If you haven't tried the newer threads then how can you know if they aren't better? I always try the new and then decide before dismissing it just because of the price.
I use a lot of Coats & Clark. I also use a lot of Mettler. Both are holding up, just fine. Both allow me to sew a 1/4" seam and have matching points, etc. (when I'm careful LOL). I prefer the Mettler, as it seems to create less lint . . . HOWEVER, I already have lots of C&C, which I intend to use. Also, the C&C is easier to find, locally (the closest LQS isn't local. Then there's the price factor. For some people, especially those on a fixed income, price IS a very important factor. "Let's see . . . do I pay twice as much for the thread . . . or do I clean out the lint, an extra time or two . . . and use that money, to buy extra fabric?"

I honestly don't understand all the snobbery, about thread. What works for one, may not work for another. So what? WHY does anyone care, what someone else uses? WHY the need, to call someone else's choice, "crap"? If you don't like the thread/fabric/machine/whatever someone else uses, just don't swap blocks with that person. No need to insult anyone, because he/she chooses differently. Okay, standing on this soapbox is making my head hurt, so I'm getting down, now.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I solved the problem by quitting prewashing.
I very seldom prewash...following this rule...prewash everything or nothing. I can't say I have had much of a problem going with that rule...been quilting for a few decades so it seems to work.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I use a lot of Coats & Clark. I also use a lot of Mettler. Both are holding up, just fine. Both allow me to sew a 1/4" seam and have matching points, etc. (when I'm careful LOL). I prefer the Mettler, as it seems to create less lint . . . HOWEVER, I already have lots of C&C, which I intend to use. Also, the C&C is easier to find, locally (the closest LQS isn't local. Then there's the price factor. For some people, especially those on a fixed income, price IS a very important factor. "Let's see . . . do I pay twice as much for the thread . . . or do I clean out the lint, an extra time or two . . . and use that money, to buy extra fabric?"

I honestly don't understand all the snobbery, about thread. What works for one, may not work for another. So what? WHY does anyone care, what someone else uses? WHY the need, to call someone else's choice, "crap"? If you don't like the thread/fabric/machine/whatever someone else uses, just don't swap blocks with that person. No need to insult anyone, because he/she chooses differently. Okay, standing on this soapbox is making my head hurt, so I'm getting down, now.
Sorry but your price argument isn't supported by the math. If you buy Coats and Clark at the regular price at Jo-Ann's you're paying almost a penny a yard. If you buy Aurifil at Discount Embroidery Supply at their regular price you're paying slightly over a half cent a yard. Better quality for about half the price. I'll take Aurifil any day.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Sorry but your price argument isn't supported by the math. If you buy Coats and Clark at the regular price at Jo-Ann's you're paying almost a penny a yard. If you buy Aurifil at Discount Embroidery Supply at their regular price you're paying slightly over a half cent a yard. Better quality for about half the price. I'll take Aurifil any day.
Not everyone shops at Jo-Ann's or Discount Embroidery Supply, so your own "price argument" is moot. As reference, I was using the price of WalMart C&C and my LQS's price of the Mettler thread, I've bought (for similar amount). No one is saying C&C is better, only that it's decent thread. A person's choice is just that - a CHOICE. I'm sure Aurifil is a fine thread, and the right choice, for you. However, why not allow others to be happy with their choices? Why the need to degrade someone else's CHOICE? Regardless of the reason someone chooses one thread over another, it's really no one else's business . . . unless that choice directly affects something another is sewing.

I'm now going to go sew on my latest quilt top . . . and will probably use BOTH Mettler AND C&C thread, just for the heck of it! I've been using black Metrosene Plus but now my bobbin is empty. Oh, the possibilities!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 AM

I stitch a narrow hem on the cut ends of all my fabric before washing. Later, when I'm using my scraps, I sometimes pick out the hem to get that extra 1/4 inch of fabric, otherwise I don't. I just cut the hem off and use it to tie newspapers, etc. Otherwise I would be wasting that amount of fabric by cutting off the fray.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Not everyone shops at Jo-Ann's or Discount Embroidery Supply, so your own "price argument" is moot. As reference, I was using the price of WalMart C&C and my LQS's price of the Mettler thread, I've bought (for similar amount). No one is saying C&C is better, only that it's decent thread. A person's choice is just that - a CHOICE. I'm sure Aurifil is a fine thread, and the right choice, for you. However, why not allow others to be happy with their choices? Why the need to degrade someone else's CHOICE? Regardless of the reason someone chooses one thread over another, it's really no one else's business . . . unless that choice directly affects something another is sewing.

I'm now going to go sew on my latest quilt top . . . and will probably use BOTH Mettler AND C&C thread, just for the heck of it! I've been using black Metrosene Plus but now my bobbin is empty. Oh, the possibilities!!!
I was just trying to show you that it's possible to pay less for better quality thread. But you don't seem to want to entertain the possibility that C&C might not be the most for your money.

And don't yell.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM

I don't prewash unless the fabric is red, navy blue, or black. I haven't had any problems with shrinkage.