Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97 >

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM

I have been there. Actually on two quilts. One was Thimbleberies quilt where I put the flowers block on upside down and it was a long time after the quilt was done that someone brought it to my attention. The other one was a sampler which had been quilted and binding on before I realized I had made a mistake. Both had been quilted by a long Armer so I was not about to start taking them apart. But since both errors are close to the edge and it is not binded yet. I would try and fix it.

But it is a very nice quilt.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. If the mistake will haunt you forever take out the quilting and fix it. If you can live with it, just leave it as it is because the person who receives it will love it either way.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:54 PM

I've heard that the Amish make a mistake on purpose so call it an Amish quilt! I love this quilt and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM

I would make nice patriotic label and applique it on, I think that would be perfect!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Actually, it looks like it could be a design statement about our best laid plans going wrong, but still being part of a beautiful whole. The stars could be viewed as spinning, so if the person receiving it doesn't know you made a slight error, the uniqueness of the design may be interpreted this way. I'm afraid if you start to unsew it, the fabric will become damaged and that would be worse than a design snafu. It looks lovely!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 AM

Reading all these posts I have to say it's a bit disheartening that for some, the pursuit of perfection outweighs the beauty of the quilt as it is. I have total respect for all thoughts and opinions on this, but I can't help but feel that the spirit of quilting has gotten lost by some, replaced by that never ending need to only create something pristine and perfect. I know sometimes I have to remind myself why I do this and what I am really trying to achieve and accomplish with each quilt I create. This thread can be a good wake-up call for some of us that total, absolute perfection shouldn't really be the goal. To do our best? Yes, of course. But to also accept that the occasional mistake can also be viewed as a happy accident, and can be what makes that particular quilt incredibly special and unique without worry of what others will think.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM

OK, I fixed it. It took about six hours of pick ( which actually was quite relaxing) and a couple hours to sew it back together. (which was not fun). I'm happy with the way it turned out although my husband said the quilting is larger than the rest of the quilt. The hard part was sewing it back together because I didn't have much room to sew the seams. I can't thank you all enough for all your thoughts, suggestions and kind words. How can anyone live without this quilting board?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 AM

It's beautiful!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
Reading all these posts I have to say it's a bit disheartening that for some, the pursuit of perfection outweighs the beauty of the quilt as it is. I have total respect for all thoughts and opinions on this, but I can't help but feel that the spirit of quilting has gotten lost by some, replaced by that never ending need to only create something pristine and perfect. I know sometimes I have to remind myself why I do this and what I am really trying to achieve and accomplish with each quilt I create. This thread can be a good wake-up call for some of us that total, absolute perfection shouldn't really be the goal. To do our best? Yes, of course. But to also accept that the occasional mistake can also be viewed as a happy accident, and can be what makes that particular quilt incredibly special and unique without worry of what others will think.
I agree with you. But the reason I choose to fix it is because it was going to Quilts of Valor. Their mission statement is
to cover all combat service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor. I couldn't know for sure how the person would interpret the mistake and since they are wounded I wanted it to be the best possible for them. If it was for me or my family I would have left it that way. It would have given them something the talk about long after I'm gone.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 AM

My thought would be to say it was planned...falling stars for fallen heroes?