Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Terribly unhappy with embroidery work done for me (pics) >

Terribly unhappy with embroidery work done for me (pics)

Terribly unhappy with embroidery work done for me (pics)

Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MiniCC
Shoulda coulda woulda, you shouldn't have to ask any of this. I would walk into the embroidery store not with the intention of thrashing them, but with questions to see if they see what you see. You know like
"I picked this up the other day got it home and with closer inspection, something doesn't seem right, like these puckers here....i don't embroider at home, but I don't think it should look like this, what do you suggest?"
Ask to speak to the shop owner, i'm sure they wouldn't want this type of work representing the shop. If they don't offer a refund kindly ask them to reimburse you b,c you are going to have to replace the work.
I'm sure they will understand. It's business, not personal to them :)
I'd go with you if you were closer:)
Ditto, I agree. You've had time to think about it, and once something goes wrong, it seems to continue that way. My experience anyway.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Are you able to remove the pieces that are embroidered? It looks like it is not all one piece but meybe sewn on separately. If so try to remove them and do another piece. If that is the case I would not take it back to them. I use wash away stabalizer and if you let it drip dry you don't get any puckers. If you take the embroidery out from front or back it will not only leave holes but faint color of the thread used. If that doesn't work I would do very close stapeling. You might try spray starch and ironing.

Hugs
Loretta
Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Hi,

I can understand why you would be unhappy, however, it doesn't look that horrible and I agree with the person who said that it might make the fabris weak for the second sewing.

It is a very nice piece.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 PM

There is a saying that goes you do not get mad you get even .I would take a photo of it and tape near where the shop is telephone or power pole, dont write anything on it. Poeple are always curious and will see it. You may do a hundred good deeds but do one bad one and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Is the banner appliqued onto the quilt top? Or set in as a separate piece? Seems to me like it might just be better to replace the whole piece of fabric. And by all means, have it embroidered by someone else. That was a bad job and I would have been hesitant to pay the person for such a job!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by pieces
And is not the fault of the embroiderer.
Amazing statement. Whose fault is it then?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I've pondered over this for the past day and a half now and I think I've decided what I'll do. I'm going to print out some letters in a font I like, trace them on to fusible and applique those letters on to a new piece of banner. Applique that new banner over the old one, then cut the old one away. A little more work but I'm just worried that I'll spend even more time quilting on this cruddy banner, only to find out it didn't work to even the puckers out. Then I've really got a mess on my hands. It's at a fixable point now so I'm going to fix it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
That sounds like a good way out and I am sure your beautiful work will be set off wonderfully by your applique.

I understand that you don't want to confront the person who messed up, but, after you have fixed up the quilt and cut away the offending part, would you consider writing to them, sending back the cut out piece, telling them that that you were really displeased with the work and were not able to use it and had to rework the whole thing because of what they did wrong. You might want to print out this thread and enclose it as well so they can see that a whole bunch of women (and men) who work with textiles were pretty unanimous that this was a really bad piece of work.

This lets them know that what they did is not good enough, saves you from having to go in there and say it all to their face, and, if they are honourable, they can write back and offer to refund you!

Do please post a pic when you are done- from what I can see, this quilt looks gorgeous!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

It looks like she did not use a stabilizer paper on it. I would take it back to her, and ask her how to get the pucker out of it. I am so sorry this has happened to you, and on a gift, what a shame. Good luck and God bless.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I've pondered over this for the past day and a half now and I think I've decided what I'll do. I'm going to print out some letters in a font I like, trace them on to fusible and applique those letters on to a new piece of banner. Applique that new banner over the old one, then cut the old one away. A little more work but I'm just worried that I'll spend even more time quilting on this cruddy banner, only to find out it didn't work to even the puckers out. Then I've really got a mess on my hands. It's at a fixable point now so I'm going to fix it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
That's what I would do :thumbup: :thumbup: Good luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 AM

Was this just the single layer ot the applique already on the backing ? It looks like whoever did ti didn't use a good stablizer.
So sorry for the frustration you are having to deal with... If I was closer I'd help and do it right...
ConnieF