Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any color...

Blog Entries
    Mine is orange. I like bits of orange in fabric patterns, but I have never been successful trying to use it in a quilt. I am trying to face my anti-orangeness. I bought an orange fabric yesterday that I will try to use somewhere in the near future.

I really dislike the Halloween colors. What I really like is a fabric that doesn't really go into a quilt but it makes the eye travel over the quilt and others see the whole rather than one piece or part.

For me it's pink! Pink was very popular in the 50s when I was growing up and I think my mother overdid it a bit. We had a totally pink kitchen.... pink cabinets, stove, refrigerator, plastic wall tile, flooring!! My bed was decorated with pink sheets w/sheer ruffled spread on top; and would you believe.... the part of the outside of the house that was stucco was painted PINK!! Yikes!! I HATE PINK!!

ps: I also had a pink and white pontiac convertible and wore a pink and black poodle skirt w/hoop!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    you don't like working with or just plain don't like? Mine is purple. The only shade I like in the purple family is plum. This is not to say I don't like any of the posted quilts with purple in them - I would never insult another quilter's color choices.
    I made a wedding quilt for a newphew, and he and his new wife wanted purple, red and blue. Since they live in Alaska, i did a bear paw pattern. Lord 'o mercy - I dreaded working on that quilt. Some days I just couldn't work on it at all, other days I sewed like crazy to get it done.
    What's your color challenge?

definately black - I like it, but my eyes don't

Neon colors....those just hurt my eyes too much. Too many brights or optically moving patterns can give me headaches, so I avoid those. Its not so much a hate as a prevention. :thumbup:

My mother was a cake decorator and she hated purple. Said it made her sick to her stomach to have to work with that color.

I have to say that I don't like purple....except in quilts! Purples and lavenders are wonderful in quilts. I must be weird. Anyone else have a color they don't like but do like it in quilts?

Sandy colored neutrals. I don't care for pink much, but it shows up in my sewing with surprising frequency. I don't mind purple, but I just don't end up using it much. But I have a real aversion to sewing with tans. I don't want to do it.

This was a fun post to read all the comments.
    My favorite colors are blue and yellow. There are lots of people that don't like yellow. I was looking for a car a few months ago hoping I could find a yellow one. I didn't find it. I guess I take after my grandma. She had yellow everything. Even her dogs and cats had to be yellow. She was highly allergic to roses but had hundreds of yellow roses in her yard. I guess everytime I see yellow I think of my grandma.
    My least favorite colors though are reds and pinks. I'll work them in something occasionally but for the most part I stay away from them.
    I just realized the bandanas on my dogs in the avatar are blue and yellow.

I will use any color under the sun in my quilts if I think it belongs there. I love the contrast of blue & purple against yellow - they are opposite on the color wheel and I think they are striking used together. I do not like orange, brown (boring), mustard yellow or dirty gold. But I made a nice quilt with all those colors in it. I fell in love with a particular floral border fabric and I bought other fabrics in that line and make my Pink Lemonade quilt with them. Somehow I didn't mind working with those oranges/golds/browns. Usually I only use browns in men's quilts.

pastel pinks and blues - our Mom dressed my sister and me in too many of these during our growing up years.

I think I do not like a color...earth tones or another combination and then I see a gorgeous quilt that tells me I am so wrong!!
    I applaud quilters who step out of the box and show me the way to beautiful. I tend to stay with safe color choices...and I know I need to move on.
    Poodle skirts...LOL...been there and done that!!

GREEN. Hate greens...

I love all the colors! The more the better. I especially love turquoise and orange together.

I like all colors but I like them pure, not when they are "greyed" like the Thimbleberry lines. Would love to do a quilt in purples, sage greens, golds, creams/ivories, and ecrus. My all time favorite, though, is red, red, and more red.

Boy, Barb, can I ever relate to you!! The two colors that turn me off are pink and purple too. I think it affects the pure love of making a quilt when I am asked to use those colors. My daughter loves purple and making her quilt was a pure chore for me. I believe it has a lot to do with the Color Me Beautiful course I took years ago. I am an "autumn" and pinks and purples aren't in my color pallette at all; lots of browns, peach, aqua, green and beige. When I work on those colors, I am in heaven. I'll bet if you found out what "season" you were, you'd find out why you hate purple. :) There is a Color Me Beautiful website to check it out.

Blog Entries
    Drab or muddy colors. Also I seldom use black; I love it in quilts that I see, but when I think of using it I see lint and dog hair and dust and...

I don't think I have ever seen a color that I didn't like and I expecially like blues and yellows.

I love all colors and love to work with them all in the right combinations. I do find, though, that although purple is my very favorite color, I don't use a lot of it in my quilting.

Here's some yellow
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama
    PINK!
    Even though I'm a girl, I have never liked pink. Of course, I've never been a "girly girl" either....just a good old tomboy.
    However, I do keep a very few small pieces of pink fabric in my stash because sometimes you just need a certain color to make everything look right.
    I completely agree I do not like working with PINK!! I have only a few peices in my stash. Once in a while someone asks me to make something and they request PINK ... all I can think of is "why did it have to be pink!".
    I am so glad that I am not alone in the dislike of pink. Yes I use it, have made a blue and pink quilt, shoot made my g'niece a pink (very pink) quilt, but still don't like it.

Pati, in Phx who uses most colors.

For those that don't like browns.... think chocolate from milk to super dark. Coffee with and without cream in varying amounts, tea brewed perfectly, and oh so many more things.

Greens are nature's neutrals. Think about all the different shades of green in nature.

I can appreciate all the different colors and use them all, but still have problems with using much pink. But like red.

Pati, in Phx

Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    I have to say orange is a great contrast complimentary color. It looks beautiful with blues. But you have to like that look which to me is visually stimulating when I see contrast complimentary colors together they pop.
    Here's my blue and orange quilt....

Enjoy,
    Pati, in Phx
    Attached Images Attached Images

There really isn't any one color I don't like! But there are some fabrics I don't like. But even those sometimes surprise me when they are in a pattern. I seem to lean more toward the jewel tones but I also like the pastels....I guess I'm easy!!! :D

Dee
    I love purple, blue, celery green, peach and getting back to more pink.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast