Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a "best time" to purchase a machine? >

Is there a "best time" to purchase a machine?

Is there a "best time" to purchase a machine?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Many times people will upgrade when a new model comes out so my dealer has some good used machines then.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Its whatever is the right time for you. The one thing I have learned is there are always sales, classroom models at discounts after show, unless you are getting a machine that just got released there are deals to be had so its when you are ready financially to make that choice.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM

I purchased a floor model serger last Sept. and got a great price. I know my LQS also sells class room machine during the summer. And they have great discounts during and after the big Mid-Atlantic Quilt show. Don't discount gently used machines which come with a warranty. Many are traded in because the owner just wanted the newest one - not because they are "old" and heavily used. So ask around your local area and visit your local dealers.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 AM

I've always found the best time to get the best price is when you walk in with cold hard cash and negotiate. I personally would never pay more than 50% of MSRP. And stick to you guns. Greenbacks talk....
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Also, the machines used on cruises are sold for quite a discount, as I understand it.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM

How do you know what the MSRP is. I have a Pfaff QE 4.0 and it seems to me the dealers are not quoting the same prices: some dealers will add more accessories or options than others. It's very hard to compare prices.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Seems like a lot of us on the QB are contemplating a new machine- be it sewing, embroidery, or quilting.
Many of us have a specific price point that we need to stick too while we drool over a higher end machine.

So I was thinking, do manufacturers showcase their new machines at a certain time of the year just as car manufacturers do? If so when? And are there significant savings to be found with the older models? Perhaps if we all waited a bit we just might be able to purchase that higher end machine. I know the waiting is excruciating.
At all of the larger quilt shows you'll find manufacturers demonstrating new machines. They will usually sell these "previewed" machines for much less. You get the manufacturer's warranty, and will have to negotiate for classes, etc., with a dealer, but you can literally save several thousand dollars. Same with longarm machines.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
How do you know what the MSRP is. I have a Pfaff QE 4.0 and it seems to me the dealers are not quoting the same prices: some dealers will add more accessories or options than others. It's very hard to compare prices.
I agree with the pricing. The various options only create more confusion for the newbie who is trying to determine the must haves from the whistles and bells.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 AM

All great suggestions. Is there a web site that provides information, list of dates, and which vendors
will be attending quilt shows? Also, how do you go about finding information about machines used on a cruise?
tY
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 AM

If you are close to SanMarcos . . . Headquarters and classes and fabric, etc. at Quilt In A Day . . .headquarters!