Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you who do craft shows.... >

For those of you who do craft shows....

For those of you who do craft shows....

Old 06-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Twinkie your Pie hot pads are FABULOUS!!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

For several years I did craft fairs with my sister, who was by far a better sales woman than I am, she was very good at it. After making quilted crafts for years for my church's Holiday Fair, they opened up the Fair to craft people who wished to rent a table. Each year is different, one year I'd made 12 Bow Tucks bags and came home with 4, sold table runners, placemats in sets of 4, Holiday wall hangings, candle mats, mug rugs, etc. and each year something different sold. I tried to make a variety of items, bags, accessories, household items, etc., etc. Make a couple of each and see what sells, and make sure you have vertical space for display as well as a table, so people can see what you have. The best of luck to you and your daughter.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I would avoid taking special orders like the plague.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 AM

think of the type of customer she will get. Small gift items, kitchen items like table runners or mats to go under the floral arrangements would be good. Also a small basket with baby items or personal items would go along with the floral items. Smaller bags that could hold a floral item and then later used as a tote bag might be good. If you did quilts, I would recommend the small throws and maybe do them in garden prints to compliment her items. The bigger issue is learning how to price not only to make a profit, but to keep items within the price point her store will handle. Good luck, take it slow and learn every day!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:12 AM

I was at a craft show and one booth had chap stick holder on a key ring. She had a basket full of them in all different colors and novelty fabrics and also a basket of new chap sticks. You could them both or just the holder. She said she got the pattern from Pinterest and it was a great way to use up small scraps. Another friend mentioned Amazon as a good source for chap sticks in quantity. I bought several and immediately put one on my key chain - love it~
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I agree! It can take the fun out of it. Beginning tomorrow will be the month of Christmas in July! May want to throw in a few cutsie holiday items.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would avoid taking special orders like the plague.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 AM

Display is the most important factor when I do craft shows. When someone walks by, if they can't see what's for sale they won't come in for a closer look. For example, I had a ton of mug rugs in a basket. No one was looking in the basket. So I took some out and laid them on the table next to the basket. Then I started selling them by the handful.

Around here, craft shows are not doing very well compared to years ago. Now it seems that we only sell items under $10.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Start small and see what catches the buyer's interest. Maybe some hot pads and pot holders would sell well.

A word about Mug Rugs at craft shows.....most people who are NOT sewers or quilters, don't have a c;ie what mug rugs are. I put a small label on mine saying "What's a Mug Rug? A coaster with attitude". Maybe your display could feature a coffee/tea mug and a biscuit.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM

I just went to Pinterest and put "chapstick holder" in the search box - wow! such cute ones. Great ideas for seasonal/holiday/animal ones. If you make purses, you could make a matching holder. Be great at Christmas time for stocking stuffers.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM

It seems like everyone I've talked to lately is dealing with worn out potholders. Not always quick and easy, but I bet they would sell