Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To those of you who sew and don't work. >

To those of you who sew and don't work.

To those of you who sew and don't work.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
im disabled, I can't sew as much as i'd like to because of the pain in my back and shoulder. i'd love to sew more. I can only sew for about 5 minutes at a time. I wish I could sew more and feel guilty when I don't.
Wow i thought i was the only one! I can sew 10 min then have to rest. if i try to push it I havd to lie down to rest my back!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I have reached a bad burnout-can not get motivated at all.
Sounds like you need to take a relaxing break from quilting and do something else that inspires you! When you least expect it, a quilting project will present itself and you will be recharged and ready to go.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the sewing. If it's paid work you have to do for others, you should definitely have time off. But for some of us, sewing is rest and recreation, and it's what we want to do every day!
Exactly! I have tried to sew for money several times in my life, and almost immediately burned out. I did not like having to sew or quilt for others, as that set a monetary value to what I was doing, and as we all know, unless you are already famous, you're not going to make the money your skills are worth, which in turn really discouraged me! So it turned my love into drudgery. But I CAN sew for myself ( and those I give it to) for hours and hours and hours!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
im disabled, I can't sew as much as i'd like to because of the pain in my back and shoulder. i'd love to sew more. I can only sew for about 5 minutes at a time. I wish I could sew more and feel guilty when I don't.
Lynnie, I'm in the same boat, but I can go about 20 minutes before fainting. When I was working before medical problems, I would make an outfit before going to work! I sewed every minute off it seemed like. Now I feel bad I can't finish stuff quickly, but at least I can still do it. I'm finding hand work sometimes is more relaxing.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I just got a part time job at night; so I am going to be doing all my sewing during the day during the week. The weekends will be just for house work (BLAH!!LOL), errands, grocery shopping now ..Unless its a rainy day then I will be in the room sewing for sure ! lol
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 AM

I sew for a part time job at the bridal and I leave it there at 5:00. I long arm quilt at home and my quilts for my family and me at home. I am able to seperate the two jobs. If I don't feel like sewing that day, I don't. I enjoy going to work and I enjoy sewing at home. It's a win/win for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 AM

It is interesting to read how people choose to alot their time for sewing. Or how moods come and go. I think most of us would burn out if we did it 7 days a week for any prolonged period of time. Like many of you, physical limitations define how much I can sew. I have a disability (Meniere's Disease) that makes me keep my time at the sewing machine brief. Too long watching that needle go up and down and I get extremely motion sick. So I vary it up with other things. It works well that way for me. (Although petpainter, I don't know how you keep at it if you are fainting after 20 minutes. That is scary!)

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 06-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM

I retired 4 yrs ago and immediately began quilting obsessively every minute of the day and evening -- ignoring all else accept feeding kitties and really necessary house stuff. My husband became a very unhappy, neglected camper! I was totally wrapped up in myself and my creations. The result was: tendonitis in my wrist, weight gain, sciatica, and burnout. Now I pace myself and only quilt 2-3 hrs when my body lets me. Tendonitis is much better, sciatica is very slowly improving, and I'm eager to quilt when able. I'm enjoying my husband and kitties much more and just feel better all around. Will start walking again when sciatica is better! For me moderation is the key!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the idea share. I sometimes reach a saturation point, but have solved that problem by keeping some knitting handy, and also keeping my loom dressed and ready to weave. When I begin to feel a little burned out from quilting, I pick up the knitting needles or shuttles and create something else.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM

I am unable to work more than a few at a time too, ,my embroidery took three years to do it, and one of my favorite took me a year to do those silly little three inch squares but I managed., Keep on keeping.