Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thousands of Bolts Fabric >

Thousands of Bolts Fabric

Thousands of Bolts Fabric

Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 AM

I would come back with a call to them. Sometime you would just receive a canned message, if you call you will get better results.

Originally Posted by Shorebird
Originally Posted by sharon b
Did you call them today ?
I sent an email today, rather than call..........explained they came highly recommended and how disappointed I was.............their response was, basically, sorry!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
I would come back with a call to them. Sometime you would just receive a canned message, if you call you will get better results.

Originally Posted by sharon b
Did you call them today ?
I sent an email today, rather than call..........explained they came highly recommended and how disappointed I was.............their response was, basically, sorry!
OK - just got another email from Thousands of Bolts. I am attaching here.............I did wash fabric, as I thought it might soften up enough to be used..........I am still not happy with their response............I did not look at the price - we were searching for the right color blue for the backing.........Company's response seems to indicate if their price is cheap, then fabric quality will be poor..........you all be the judge.........

[b]Again - we are sorry you are disappointed. We would have accepted a return if the fabric had not been washed. I guess pricing may be a factor also. Since this backing is the least expensive available, it cannot be expected to match the quality of those selling for 50% more. [b]
Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 AM

I am sorry you had a bad experience with Thousands of Bolts. I have been ordering from them for several years and only one time did I get a fabric that was stiff. I have always had good luck with their fabrics. I watch the manufacturer and order the brands that I know to be best.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM

I buy from them all the time and love the fabric, but I have never bought the wide backing. I know a lot of the retails wide backing is also stiff compared to most fabric. To get the good grade wide you may have to go to a LQS.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 AM

So sorry to hear you had a hard time with them. I have ordered fabric from them, but never 108" width. I buy that in muslin and from Joann's. Guess I am sticking with that.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 AM

Please keep us posted on what they say....so we all know how they treated you. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i only order fabric from them when i know who the manufacturer is and the quality of that manufacturers fabric.
I agree. Especially when you're shopping at a budget-priced store, you have to be a little bit more knowledgeable about the products.

I just looked at their site, and they do have a range of quality brands among their selection of quilt backings. You won't go wrong with Benartex, Henry Glass or Timeless Treasures. (You'll note that those ones cost more, too.) Merrivale and Quilt Traditions I'm not familiar with. I think that the Quilters Choice is the budget brand I bought two bolts of and, frankly, would not do so again. I wouldn't call it stiff, but it is thin and doesn't have the nice hand that better lines do. It is also wrapped very crookedly (as in, order a foot more than you need to compensate for the crookedness, unless you know the shop is going to do you right by giving a VERY generous cut). But... it is budget priced.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM

Quilters Choice kis the one I bought at 8.95 a yard. Hope it isn't too thin for my project.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM

I have purchased quite a bit of batiks from them (name brand) and have been happy with all my purchases.
I agree to give them a call. They are wonderful to do business with.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM

I found 108" wide fabric for backing of a large quilt for my daughter in a dark, dull blue color, and ordered it. Package arrived.........and was I ever disappointed. Not only was the color off (far too bright) but the fabric was so stiff and rough it would have scratched you, and so thin that you could see the individual warp and weft threads (not a homespun fabric either)....and the light just poured thru the fabric...........

Was I just unlucky with this one fabric, or have others received very thin, poor quality fabric from this on-line shop?
Which brand did you order.......?