Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Stash???? >

Thread Stash????

Thread Stash????

Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM

I used to sew clothes and home dec things before the quilting bug bit me. I have a box of Coats and Clark threads in every color of the rainbow. When I started quilting, I realized just how quickly the C and C spools became empty. And at almost $3 a spool, it was breaking my budget.

I found Connecting Threads and stocked up before Christmas when all of their threads were on sale. I have at least one of every color, and two of some. I love how the Connecting Threads spools seem to last and last. I have a Janome and Brother and both machines like both kinds of threads.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

Before home embroidery machines were available for everyone, my neighbor did monogramming for local sporting good stores, uniforms, and team shirts. All the embroidery thread in all the colors came from France and was very expensive. She kept it in her freezer so it wouldn't dry out. Her machines were massive compared to the ones now. That lady made a fortune and her timing was perfect. She retired just as the small domestic embroidery machines were starting to sell.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

I attended the "threadology" class at Superior Thread and we all received a spool of all the threads they carry. Superior also has "try me" specials on their web site. It's a good way to try the King Tut.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

a good sale is a good sale, but i have had really bad luck with rotten thread from -discount- sources. also, thread has a much shorter 'shelf-life' than fabric...i have paid big bucks for good brand thread that a shop keeper had purchased a 'bulk-load' of and had it not usable for anything beyond basting because it breaks every couple inches...when i went back to the shop with the thread her and i together contacted the thread company who let us know after a couple years of 'sitting around' it weakens...sorry...'so i buy my thread from sources i know have a good turn around, are always ordering new...and i do have a stash but try to buy thread i know i'm going to use...within the next few months...in other words i buy it when i need it, the stash is the thread left on the spool after i'm done with my project...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 AM

I just bought a bunch of thread from Connecting Threads. So many colors, right price, and seems like really good thread. My machine has had no trouble when I use it.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Jim has bought me the Walmart white for piecing and another for hand quilting. I recently started collecting Coats for colors in hand quilting.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 AM

I've never used Connecting Threads thread, but wish it also came in different weights.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 AM

thanks for all the great ideas of collecting threads! and keep them coming? :) :)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 AM

I started collecting a few once I a purchased my HQ. There are the King Tut and So Fine. I have a small collection for embroidery threads. I have almost all the DMC embroidery floss colors.
So Fine is in a draw the same as KT.
I have two containers of small spools and YLI

King Tut #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58806[/ATTACH]

King Tut #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58807[/ATTACH]

Misc threads, and Aurifil
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58808[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58806.jpe   attachment-58807.jpe   attachment-58808.jpe  
Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 AM

Yes, I have a thread stash too. I need it to go with the fabric stash. I have a large supply of rayon thread for my embrodery machine. When I am sewing, I want everything there and ready to use.