Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading A Serger >

Threading A Serger

Threading A Serger

Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Could you explain how you do this? Does the knot go through the eye of the needle?
Originally Posted by sewingladydi
I tie off when I want to changed thread rather than re-thread. I've had to re-thread from ground zero a couple of times, but my manual is pretty good. Once you get it threaded correctly, tie off next time. It makes life much easier.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM

I thread my upper and lower loopers with a dental floss loop tool. It works great. It has a large loop on one end for the thread the the other end if straight, thin and stiff to make it easy to feed. (They were created to get dental floss inbetween braces. Works like a charm.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM

I always tie the new thread to the old and slowly run it thru to the needle. Then I snip it and thread the needles. Easy this way . I leaned this in class. BTW I have a White Serger.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 AM

I knot the threads on the loopers and then I cut the threads just below the needles and pull those two out from the top. My 1 and 2 threads are very easy to rethread. I pull the threads to the back, put the pressure foot down and holding on to the threads, I run it gently until the tail i am holding is all of the new color. Also if you must completely rethread the machine, start at the bottom and work your way up. It is something to do with when the loopers cross the upper threads.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 AM

Don't pull the old threads that are already threaded out. Simply cut the old cones and tie the new cones onto the old thread in little knots and put some scrap fabric in the machine and sew until all of the new color is pulled through. It works, and then you don't have to rethread the machine with the new color. I hope this is explained so that it's understandable.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 AM

The knot needs to be small enough to go through the eye of the needle, plus cut the tails off the knot. It goes right through.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 PM

This was an interesting thread to read about.

I have a Viking 910 and was about to go crazy and throw it out into the parking lot of the dealership. Then I decided since I was going to throw it away anyway, I started taking it a part to clean and see exactly what the threading was all about. Someone mentioned to unthread it and keep re threading it until it is easy.....which is exactly what I did. It is not pleasant, but I can do it now. I keep neutral threads, grays, ecru, in it so I don't worry about the colors each time.

I think what was giving me the most trouble was the thread wasn't "clicking' properly into the tension disks. So even if it was threaded right, it wasn't sewing properly and just naturally I blamed it on the loops and hooks. So make sure it snaps into the tension disks and take control. You own the machine.....not the other way around.

Good luck and try to find the manual, or something on youtube.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM

The fourth thread is the hardest, and I'm speaking from experience. My serger has a diagram on it how to thread.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Your manual should show you the instructions. It is very important to thread in the correct order. Also, there is usually a diagram inside the cover. I admit it is tricky and time consuming but well worth it. As someone else suggested tie on your new thread , tightly!,turn your tension dials to "0" and pull the threads thru. Be sure to reset your tensions! Good luck, once you get it going you will love it.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 PM

I bought a Pfaff Cover Stich more than one year ago. I had it in a corner of my sewing room and didn't use it. Last month my sister came to visit me for 2 weeks and I gave her a used serger I bought for pennies. She was so exited with her machine that she started using it immediatelly, saw a quilt in 2 days and wouldn't stop talking about it. In the process we both learned how to thread it. My sister left and her gift to me was the exitement to use my serger. I have used it on the last 2 weeks almost every day.

I know that Pfaff is easier to thread than other machines but make sure you put some time to learn how to thread it, once you do it right it will saw very nicely and you will love it. My machine came with a video showing how to thread it, the most helpful thing I used.

One more tip, have it handy and threaded and you will see how much you use it.

Yesterday I saw 3 pillow cases in less than 1/2 hour.