Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading A Serger >

Threading A Serger

Threading A Serger

Old 06-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Wow, I'm relieved that I'm normal!!! I've had my serger for about 15 years and sometimes the threading goes great, smoothly. The easiest way is to attach the new thread with a knot and loosen the tensions pulling the thread through. If your knot is small enough the thread will pull all the way through except the needle. Then I cut off the knot and thread the eye. BUT, when the thread has broken and you can't use this method it is a real bummer!!!
I have spent and hour or more! The "path" instructions are on the
door that drops down but it doesn't show the very last part of the
looper threads, one must go over the other......or it just won't
work right! Eventually I get it, but sometimes it takes a few trys!
Always when I'm in a hurry!!! I love the machine! I wish it was
easier to thread!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lyn
I have a baby lock. You put upper and lower loopers into their perspective holes, push a lever and a miracle happens. They are threaded. Baby lock uses a puff of air to shove the thread through.
Yes, I've wanted one of those for a long time. But for the amount of serging I do now (since I don't sew garments anymore), I'll hang on to my dinosaur and put my money into things for quilting. But IF the dinosaur should just happen to "bite the dust" I'll be getting one of those new geniuses.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Lyn

I got my serger in 2004 as a bribe. My husband had promised I would not have to move again. He was hired by another company and and we moved from VA to NH. Anyway, it doesn't do some of the fancier stitches the newer ones do but I am happy with it.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Thank you for the site. I have been threading it wrong all this time, I just asked my hubby to pull it out of the shed for me yesterday. So guess what I am doing today. God bless. Penny
Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Tallulah - I LOL! at your comment about not to thread at night!!! That is sooooo true!!! It always takes longer at night - I will have a more difficult time figuring out/remembering the steps! :) but during the day it seems less painful (LOL, well at least sometimes!!) :)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Tallulah - I LOL! at your comment about not to thread at night!!! That is sooooo true!!! It always takes longer at night - I will have a more difficult time figuring out/remembering the steps! :) but during the day it seems less painful (LOL, well at least sometimes!!) :)
Ok, have you noticed that if you need light colored thread, the dark will be on the serger, and if you need dark thread, the light will be on? I am a happy girl when I take the cover off and there is the color I need on it!!! lol
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM

LOL!! I was just thinking that!! That always happens!!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 PM

LOL!! I was just thinking that!! That always happens!!
Ok, my last thought on this. When my serger was brand new I bought red, navy, cream, white, and black cones. Now even if I need one of those colors, I use the cream or black. Is that lazy or what? Or do I just not care??? ha
Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM

If it matches up close - good to go!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
Ok, have you noticed that if you need light colored thread, the dark will be on the serger, and if you need dark thread, the light will be on? I am a happy girl when I take the cover off and there is the color I need on it!!! lol
When I was doing garment sewing (especially during the summer months when I worked on my wardrobe for the coming school year) I would use four different neutrals and use that for all the colors I was working on. I'd keep the light-colored sewing or the white to work on all at one time. The neutrals I'd use were a medium beige, a lighter beige, and two different grays, one pretty dark and one a little lighter. It worked for me. And after all I was the only one seeing the inside of my garments.

I also considered the colors I was working with at the time. Sometimes I'd notice that most of my fabric was in the blue family, or perhaps in the browns. Then I'd use colors that worked with the particular groups of fabrics. Sounds OCD, huh. Honestly , I'm definitely NOT, but it worked for me.

:lol: