Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading A Serger >

Threading A Serger

Threading A Serger

Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Tallulah
Originally Posted by costumegirl
Tallulah - I LOL! at your comment about not to thread at night!!! That is sooooo true!!! It always takes longer at night - I will have a more difficult time figuring out/remembering the steps! :) but during the day it seems less painful (LOL, well at least sometimes!!) :)
Ok, have you noticed that if you need light colored thread, the dark will be on the serger, and if you need dark thread, the light will be on? I am a happy girl when I take the cover off and there is the color I need on it!!! lol
When I was doing garment sewing (especially during the summer months when I worked on my wardrobe for the coming school year) I would use four different neutrals and use that for all the colors I was working on. I'd keep the light-colored sewing or the white to work on all at one time. The neutrals I'd use were a medium beige, a lighter beige, and two different grays, one pretty dark and one a little lighter. It worked for me. And after all I was the only one seeing the inside of my garments.

I also considered the colors I was working with at the time. Sometimes I'd notice that most of my fabric was in the blue family, or perhaps in the browns. Then I'd use colors that worked with the particular groups of fabrics. Sounds OCD, huh. Honestly , I'm definitely NOT, but it worked for me.

:lol:
Hey, sounds like it worked for you! We don't change colors often for our quilt piecing and no one is wiser. Now, serger thread is a little different. It looks so gross when light thread is on a dark fabric. Yuck. 8-)
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 AM

The general rule is to thread the loopers first (the needles are easy to thread.....) Most of the loopers are not to dificult to thread but you must go acording to the right order (each serger is diferent)...
I also belived that I made a mistake by buying me a serger when I first look at all this intimidating details.....But after dedicating it some time (I would recomend to learn one or two steps a day....) there was only one intimidating detail: threading the four's looper.....
After this was mastered...... WE have been happily leaving together for almost three years now.....
I own the Brother 1034 D and it states its easy to thread....

Its a great tool.....
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM

This is a great thread, haha, I have a Janome serger and I have never been able to thread it, but my hubby does a great job....

I do have a ??, what kind of thread is the best to use?
My H thinks I should buy a better kind......
Old 06-09-2010, 03:56 PM

I have a bernina serger. I have never unthreaded it. When I change colors, I cut the threads from the spools, replace the spools and tie the different colors together. I then push the foot pedal and hold out the end threads until the knots come down to the needle then cut only the thread to go through the needle - works out perfectly everytime and my machine is many years old. My machine is also coded with colors for each spool of thread - would be easy to follow if I ever unthread. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 AM

Schwanton is correct, never unthread the serger - always tie your new thread to the old thread.

Now, I have accidently unthreaded mine - Singer, it it took an hour to get it correctly threaded. Unfortunately if a thread breaks, my experience, you have to rethread in the correct order...so if thread 1 breaks - you must rethread all (trust me learned the hard way tryng to short cut)

Once threaded correctly - I love my serger. It opens up new avenues for sewing and quilting too.

Hang in there,and very carefully in order follow the color coded chart on the machine. Do not try to short cut, thread the machine in the order specified in the directions. It does make a difference(do not know why, but does).

I can now thead my machine in about 10 minutes if needed, but I use schwanton's suggestion of kntting the new color to the old.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 PM

It really shouldn't take 10 min lol..however if you would see how a serger works with the way the loopers connect with the needle or needles to form the stitch..then you can see why threading in correct order is important. Once you know how it works..you can also learn how to thread just one if necessary cause you can see how to by pass the "catch"
Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM

First, best advice. Never, never unthread a serger!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM

lol never unthread a serger? thats like saying never go on a trip when it "might" rain..best thing is to be prepared with knowledge. Then your serger will get the use it was purchased for
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM

I'm looking into a brother 4 3 2 serger with built in threader and amp cd. Anyone know about this one ? I have a bernina 2500cde and I'm so frustrated trying to rethread. When I sit to sew I want to sew !! So.......hoping I can get this new one sooooooon.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:07 PM

I tie off when I want to changed thread rather than re-thread. I've had to re-thread from ground zero a couple of times, but my manual is pretty good. Once you get it threaded correctly, tie off next time. It makes life much easier.