Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrift stores clothing

Sounds to me like people are getting back to the way quilting was started....... guess that is why I love scrap and crazy quilts... It is taking what is discarted and making something special from it. Happy quilting everyone.

I know. IUtn't tjis awesome? The only vintage quilt I won is my babysitter's old quilt. It is made from her old clothes, and I feel close to her when I look at it. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas! Our Goddwill wants $3.99 a shirt so maybe they will have a sale sometime, and I can get some cotton. Thanks for the batting idea with the mattress covers - awesome!

I LOVE my thrift shops? I have several that I visit every Tuesday, 25% off for seniors! Love to get my tops and pants, they are already soft! I know they won't shrink any more! Most of the stuff is not cotton, but every so often I make out lie a bandit!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    I know. IUtn't tjis awesome? The only vintage quilt I won is my babysitter's old quilt. It is made from her old clothes, and I feel close to her when I look at it. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas! Our Goddwill wants $3.99 a shirt so maybe they will have a sale sometime, and I can get some cotton. Thanks for the batting idea with the mattress covers - awesome!
    Yikes - $3.99 a shirt? I am sure that you could do much better (cheaper) at garage sales or rummage sales at churches, etc.

HTH

I decided as I was folding laundry this weekend that at least two of my son's shirts will be repurposed into a quilt once he outgrows them.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    Our Goodwill has shirts for $4.76. They use color coded taggies on their clothes and certain colors are half-price. I usually buy shirts that are half price, unless the shirt has a pattern or color I really want. O

You can also use old ties to make quilts, I haven't made one but have seen pictures. I have made Neck Tie Angels from old ties. They are cute!

Oh yes....I bought two shirts and a cotton dress with a full skirt today and spent a whole $1.25!! I look for the largest I can find for the most fabric. I have enough to make a quilt. I love to recycle fabrics!! :-D

Lets see some pictures of those neck tie angels.
    Sounds interesting..............

Blog Entries
    My son is a clothes fanatic, loves shopping and buying, and he takes2 oe 3 bags full to GW two or three times a year. I never thought about keeping them for quilts, and I will now. He only buys all cotton or ,linen, no polyesters!!

We went to several yard sales this weekend and to one thrift shop where I got men's plaid shirts at 3/$1.00 and at the yard sale they were a quarter.

I keep a bag with several shirts and scissors ready to go to work on cutting apart when we are going to be in the car for a while.

Do you have any pictures of things you have made from these clothes?

That is ingenoius! A teacher would love to have one of those too!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I love going to thrift stores with my DD's. It is like a treasure hunt for me.

I have recently started buying 100% cotton blouses and shirts. I have found some of the prettiest color and pattern combinations. I enjoy cutting them apart and starching and ironing the pieces. I hope to make a scrappy quilt from them as soon as I get a good amount of them. I even tease my DD's that I may even "shop" for cotton blouses in their closets. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Does anyone else love to re-purpose clothes this way? I also am adding to my ever growing button collection at the same time. :mrgreen:
    I've been doing this for years. Actually, I do better at yard sales - great finds of 30s and 40s cotton clothing fabric, cheaper than thrifts.

Gal
    Gosh $3.99+ is a lot for a shirt, where I shop $2 for the good ones all others $1 and once a week they have a 50c day on selected items giving everything a turn eventually. There is always a 50c table with all kinds of clothing on it too. I also get fabric scraps and lengths for a few cents, nothing over $2. Some places are much more expensive of course, I just shop around. The place I go to is the Salvos, when I was in Australia (Bunbury)) the Salvos was the dearest place so I did not shop there. I go to garage sales and markets and ask all my friends to save old clothes for me if they are just going to chuck them out!

Gal

I go to look for 100% wool skirts or jackets and felt them up for my wool projects. Its a lot cheaper than buying the wool in quilt shops and you have a bigger selection.

the salvo's in canningvale is very cheap, and I have found some wonderful bargains at the good sammies they always have material and it is only $1.00 a piece at ours regardless how much is in it. but I still love text traders at least it is new and you can buy as much as you want

Our local Goodwill charges $3.50 per mens shirt. Hit the garage sales. You can find great shirts for as little as .10 or .25. A great way to stock up and recycle.

Great ideas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonrise
    I like buying kids' jeans (usually size 4 or smaller) and making "booty bag" purses with them. It's a blast to decorate them.

I use adult-sized jeans to make denim rag quilts. Boy are they warm! (And HEAVY! LOL!)
    I would love to see a picture of your "booty bag" purses. What a neat idea.

I started recycling clothing when I was in high school. My Grandmother and I would hit the Sally Shop (Salvation Army) and buy a large grocery bag stuffed full of clothing for $1. We would wash all the clothing and then take them all apart. This was during the time that mini skirts were becoming popular and the full gathered skirts and dresses were being discarded. Grandma and I would cut out skirts and blouses for me out of the largest pieces. Then we cut out tops, pants and shorts for my little sisters. The leftover went into a box for quilt blocks. Then we would cut each piece into different size quilt blocks and the strings and small pieces were sewed into String blocks. By the time we finished with an article of clothing there was hardly enough fabric left over for a bird to use in building a nest........and that's what Grandma did with the scraps........placed them outside for the birds.

Blog Entries
    Go to yard sales. The shirts are much cheaper. I do not buy blouses because there are too many seams and darts in them, but men's shirts or ladies dresses have quiet a lot of fabric. Just cut the seams out. I cut about an inch around the pockets and also the sewn in lables on the neck piece of the shirts. I think these will be striking in a quilt.

Why not use the pocket in the quilt?

I received 2 large bags of clothes that my granddaughters loved but couldn't wear anymore, I took them all apart and made a quilt for them. You wouldn't believe it brought tears to their eyes to see all their clothes in a quilt they could keep forever...I think you have a great idea going there.
    Sherrie

i made this for my grandaughters from their favorite clothes
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast