Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrift stores clothing

Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    Do you have any pictures of things you have made from these clothes?
    Here is a quilt I made for my husband's grandparents with some of his old shirts, my old shirts, and scraps to fill in the gaps. I didn't buy any yardage for it at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made a quilt from my late Father's shirts and I used a pattern I found on quiltville.com. I am an intermediate quilter and I was able to make it. It was called Stretched Star and it was perfect for my Dad's plaid shirts. I need to start hitting the thrift stores now. It is fun to get fabrics for such a good deal.

Bonnie Hunter has a book, Scaps and Shirt Tails, that is about using "gently used" shirts. Bonnie makes beautiful quilts and has a wonderful web site with her quilts, tutorials, etc.

http://www.quiltville.com/

I make a quilt for my DD out of mens shirts from the thrifts stores, I like the small prints. I also buy clothes for myself at the thrifts stores, and people are always asking me where did you get that " I love it" i always tell the truth.

I keep saying to myself that I will go to a thrift shop but so far have not made it to one yet. Maybe this week.

Love to see pics of the pocket quilt.

Blog Entries
    I look for cotton scrubs in really neat patterns. I have found smiley faces, Peanuts theme charactors, animals, hearts, even batik. A quilting friend mentioned men's shirts and I have found some neat horse fabric on 100% cotton shirts. One was even a men's size 3x--it had a lot of fabric by the time I cut it up and only cost $3!! I always remove the pocket, but some squares with a pocket would be fun.

Wow your thrift stores are cheap....in my area shirts are $4.99, yes, $4.99 at all the thrifts. Goodness, I can shop the department stores during their clearances and do better than that! Still I do shop the thrifts for books, etc. but clothing is pricey.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Blog Entries
    I went to the half-price sale at our Salvation Army today. I got 10 mens shirt, 5 womens shirts, a huge piece of pretty green minky, new pair of curtains, new twin sheet set, fitted sheets, pillow cases, 8 new wash cloths, 2 scrub tops and a vintage sewing machine--with all the presser feet and manual, for a whopping $37.00!!! The sewing machine was marked $10 and I got it for $5.00!!!

I like to buy sweaters that I then felt into wool to make handbags. Also, old handbags make great leather stuffed animals and doll shoes. I'm always looking for interesting trims and buttons too. And, let's not forget the quilting books.

Okay.....I LOVE THRIFT STORES.....I was thinking the other day that they need to start a support group for us addicts. Salvation Army is my favorite. Stuff is a mess but part of the fun is digging through all the junk...er....I mean treasures.
    I have be decorating my house this summer with all thrift store finds. I am calling it Shabby Sh%t..... :lol:

It's funny that y'all are talking about thrift store clothes shopping!!! I just spent the afternoon perusing the Salvation Army shop and found some real gems. I love silk and velvets with a plan to make some crazy quilts. I look for scarves and ties and especially antique sewing items. Last time I found a huge cotton scarf that was made in France. Today I found one of those weight things to hang on my back for better posture!!! The price $1.49!!! I hadn't purchased one before because they were too expensive!!! I found several clear plastic purse/bag that I use to keep my projects in. I never know what I will find!!! There is another huge store in our small town, Citizens in Action. I can't begin to tell all the fine treasures that I have found there!!! I am glad I'm not alone because my family thinks I am a junk collector until they see what I picked up !!! So, lets keep on panning for gold!!!

Sweet Home, Oregon and now Independence, MO
    In Independence, Missouri, we have a shop called Charity Thrift Store. Every Sunday, there is a tag color for 44 cents. Once a quarter or so, they have and 88cent sale. Every shoe and clothing item is 88 cents. It's awesome. I recently bought 4 pair of those wild, wild women's pants that have some kind of glorious print. One is paisley, one bandana, one tropical, etc... These are either going to be hobo bags or Miche style bags. For 88 cents!I also buy dresses or skirts with silk lining to use for lining in my purses. Men's dress coats work well for that too.

Every Sunday our local Goodwill store has one color tag that is $1 per item. I like to go buy men's 100% cotton shirts for $1, since they have a lot of usable fabric. I cut them apart and bag up the fabric. I use the material to make "men's" quilts, since the fabrics aren't as fussy and don't usually have flowers.

Thrift stores are where I purchase all my wool for my projects. Then I hand dye and felt it.

Power Poster
    Oh darn. Another place to buy fabric. I have gone in to shop around and bought a skirt once but hadn't thought of fabric.

my best friend shopped the second hand stores for satins, brocades, and velvets. From these pieces, she made some of the most awsome quilts. I am fortunate enough to own one, also a beautiful tree skirt.

Yep I shop there too!
    I have a box of shirts for a flannel quilt from when my husband passed away.
    Just can't seem to get them out just yet, it's only been four years and I still smell him on them.
    One day I'll just cut them all apart and make a memory quilt
    silly sewer sandi

Gal
    Butterflyblue, I love your quilt, I have been busy saving up scraps and checks to make a similar one, I am so inspired by the 'look' of your quilt, well done.

So glad I am not the only one who loves to shop in thrift stores, my family used to think I was crazy until they saw how much I saved and just what things you can pick up by shopping in these places.

Gal

What a fantastic idea. You girls are really smart. TY

We are lucky to have a thirft store where all clothes are 5cents. I never thought of taking cotton clothes apart and saving the scraps.. Thanks Jan

Ladies' used denim dresses/jumpers are a great source of denim. On sale day they are quite reasonable and have more fabric and are easier to unsew than jeans and pants. You can also get some cute printed and plaid denims from dresses and skirts.
    I also shop the curtains, tablecloths, napkins and such for cotton fabric items. I find more than I had expected when I started looking there.

Blog Entries
    Our thrift stores are pretty reasonable. Goodwill has 50 percent off EVERYTHING almost every other week. Another thrift shop has a great senior day and their prices are always reasonable anyway. We are lucky in the Colorado front range!

I found Tommy Hilfiger denim skirt with the tags still on!Perfect fit!$4!! A beautiful vintage long dress that I wore to my daughter's outdoor wedding a few yrs ago!! We got to St Augustine, Fl to the shops there . Have found great bargains!

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I went to the half-price sale at our Salvation Army today. I got 10 mens shirt, 5 womens shirts, a huge piece of pretty green minky, new pair of curtains, new twin sheet set, fitted sheets, pillow cases, 8 new wash cloths, 2 scrub tops and a vintage sewing machine--with all the presser feet and manual, for a whopping $37.00!!! The sewing machine was marked $10 and I got it for $5.00!!!
    Wow!!!! What great buys!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast