Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Thrift stores clothing

I love to go to the thrift shop. I have gotten pretty buttons from clothing, beautiful fabric that I hope to use at some point, and now I am buying purses for the hardware. Just the metal rings, etc., can cost over $4.00 for one purse, and I get them for .50 cents. Can't beat that. I have stopped buying clothes for fabric to reduce my stash to a managable amount.

Blog Entries
    You all have given me something to think about. I occassionally go to thrift stores, but it never occurred to me to go just to treasure hunt. When I treasure hunt, I think of yard sales. Which thrift stores do you think have the better bargains?

I love Thrift Stores---have found just the right fabric that I had invisioned for a particular quilt there and so much cheaper than LQS or Joannes. If I do not go once a week, I have withdrawal. Also for you Grandmas out there that make doll clothes for your grandaughters, I buy kids clothes or tween clothes to use---Just take apart and lay the pattern out and sew. My grandaughter loved that her Samanta's clothes were different than others and I can usually get them for 99 cents to $1.99---if there are any pieces left over, I use them to make a doll quilt. I AM ADDICTED--have also found great items for storage there for great prices. Just bought those cube squares that you put together for $2.99 for 24 of them--am going to rearrange and use them in sewing room. Ok, tough to be at work---I want to go again now.

What great ideas! Think I will try that!

Blog Entries
    Yes, some favorite thrift stores. And especially church
    yard sales/ rummage sales. You can get some real bargains
    at such sales.

And I'll admit that sometimes I cut extra large garments down
    to fit me!! Some of the older clothing have very good to
    excellent fabrics that are never seen any more. Not quilting
    related, but one of my very favorite "out to eat" dresses is
    one I cut down from one of my aunt's evening dresses...and
    I'm 76 so that makes it OLD. It's a thick jersey I think, cream
    with huge red flowers and just as large, fancy paisley prints in
    it. I love it and have for many years. Now one of my granddaughters is hinting strongly for it, and it fits her!!

Blog Entries
    Ha!! nice to meet lots of other thrifty's. A girl I sued to work with all ways had unusual clothes (very nice) but I asked her where she shopped. She Laughed and said GW Boutique. Where is that I asked????? Then she laughed harder. Good Will !!! Curtains is my favorite lots of yards and great when they are 1/2 price. OHHHHHHH no I gota go... I got the fever .

I found a pure silk dress from Thailand in a metallic fushia with some black cording on the yoke. $3 at Salvation Army! I have used the fabric in art quilts and made a purse out of it. The black cording appliqued part was really interesting on the purse.

We have a Thrift Shop that has shirts on sale for a quarter on Tuesday and Thursday. You can imagine how much fun that is. And I always get the largest sizes I can that will work well. Its ALWAYS fun

Blog Entries
    OK you have convinced me. I went to the local GW yesterday and bought 7 walmart bags (crammed full) of fabric for $22.00. Some were blocks already cut out and some were applique already cut out and some had templates. Then I went to the local Salvation Army and bought 5 yards of cotton fabric and 2 paper back books for $1.75. Will be checking this out more often.

I love our Salvation Army shop.. this summer I got an ULTRA- SUADE jacket, like new, just my size for .25 cents. Always looking for clothing for quilts. Each piece has recently gone up from 10 cents to 25 cents. Made my grandson a denim quilt.

yea do it all the time - buying cotton shirts etc at GW and SA etc. Also cut up my sons old dress shirts into 6" blocks and made a simple quilt just sewing them all together - was doing just for fun between projects so just used an old mattress pad (quilted one) and an old sheet on the back. I was going to just use it for a quick cover up while watching tv. my dau came home from college and found it and latched on to it swearing it was the most comfortable quilt she had (meaning she took it!)

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I love the quilts with flannel on one side and blue jeanson the other. They are SO warm!!!!!!! I dont even use batting, just cut squares, same size of each, and put them together. You dont finish the edges, so they unravel a bit.
    My sister in-law bought one, which I remember sleeping under. They look really cute, but they are unbelievably heavy. You may want to take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy
    I love to go to the thrift shop. I have gotten pretty buttons from clothing, beautiful fabric that I hope to use at some point, and now I am buying purses for the hardware. Just the metal rings, etc., can cost over $4.00 for one purse, and I get them for .50 cents. Can't beat that. I have stopped buying clothes for fabric to reduce my stash to a managable amount.
    You can also use the leather in many of the (used )purses for any number of things, hinges, repair, bracelets and so on.

We are such a talented and clever group! I love all the ideas for recycling and being thrifty.

I just stopped at Good Will because some of you have mentioned that you have picked up quilting material. Didn't find any but I like looking at wedding gowns and they had so many that were priced right. If someone knew how to restyle them they would be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a very LARGE size wedding dress at a garage sale for $1.00. You would not believe how much lace, beading, etc. it has on it - a very high neck and long sleeves, long train, etc. It is dirty, of course, but has lots of good salvagable goodies on it. It will take me a whole day to take all of it off. SCORE!!!

Blog Entries
    I just love this board. There are so many good ideas. The other thing I like about this board is we talk about so many different things. (quilting, going green, canning, recipes, books, weather and whatever else we want to talk about. LOL). All the things I enjoy. Where else can you find so many friends to share your interests?

Know what I do! I buy 100% wool sweaters for crafts.I shrink them way down (felting). 8-)

Also hit the GoodWill OUTLET store if theres one near you its pay by the pound Like $1.49 here in wash state :-D

I grew up call'in them "goodie stores" asin we'er going to the goodie store

I grew up call'in them "goodie stores" asin we'er going to the googie store sorry 4 the double post

I have never heard of a Goodwill outlet store but I'm going to be checking on that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jshep
    You all have given me something to think about. I occassionally go to thrift stores, but it never occurred to me to go just to treasure hunt. When I treasure hunt, I think of yard sales. Which thrift stores do you think have the better bargains?
    I think you have to research your area. Where I live it is the womens center ( for battered women) I could go up to the GW stores about 20 miles from my home, but I have several different ones 2 miles away!

Blog Entries
    How does the "buy by the pound" work? We have a Goodwill outlet that does that but I haven't gone there before.

I have recycled used clothing into quilt fabric for years. I shop yard sales and rummage sales as well as thrift shops. One church generally has a bag sale shortly before closing time of their rummage sale. One can purchase a brown grocery bag for a dollar and take home as much as he or she can stuff into the bag. At their last sale, I purchased 2 bags and stuffed them with mostly 100% cotton extra extra large mens shirts. I may not live to use up all that fabric.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast