Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the quilt I'm working on >

Tired of the quilt I'm working on

Tired of the quilt I'm working on

Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I am at the stage of quilting that I just want to be done. I've got 3 blocks to finish, a small amount of sashing, then the border, binding and I'm done. The quilt is for myself and I'm hand quilting the it. I really love it, but I'm already planning for my next quilt and am excited to start it, but I refuse to until this one is finished. Anyone face this same dilemma while working on projects? Self discipline to finish one project at a time it tough!!
Yes I hear you. I have sewn for about 40 years. for many years with kids and their sports and jobs, it was just mending, curtains, making new cushions etc, but really no clothing. There was no time. I have friends who quilt and for years wanted to learn. So I finally took a class and loved it and wanted to make all sorts of things. Well I ended up buying fabric for different projects that now I've committed myself to. My mind has moved on to more artsy type of quilts so now I don't want to do the other more simple quilts. I want to move ahead but keep telling myself I need to make the other projects before I move on. Right now I have 3 tote bags I'm making. I've already made 8 of these that I loved for family members, and I'm not loving these. I'm not sure if it's the fabric (not my style but am keeping the recipients in mind), or just sick of making the same thing. I just really want to move on to other things but have said I can't buy any more stuff till I finish these projects first. So that is pushing me to keep going, slowly albeit.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I find that when that happens I just put it aside and start on a new project....It is always exciting to go back to it later. I have always finished my projects.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm feeling guilty because of the quilts that I have waiting to be finished. I experiment, put together the top and then I get tired of it. I need discipline - everyday!
Thanks for posting this thread as I might be encouraged to work harder.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM

I usually have at least 2 projects going at once, even though space is an issue for me. I always get tired of whatever I'm working on before its done. But if I can go back and forth between 2 projects, I can always get the first one finished.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM

I currently have 3 quilts going. Had to take a break from hand quilting due to tendonosis in my hands. I found that I could cut & machine sew without hurting my hands so made three tops. I am tyeing them instead of quilting but am doing some hand quilting in the borders. (just couldn't resist lol) Is that allowed? If not, please don't tell the quilt police.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM

It depends on the quilt I'm working on, and whether or not I like it. I really dislike the one I'm doing right now which is a churn dash done in Civil War repro fabrics. My husband chose the pattern & fabrics, and it is driving me nuts. But I'm doing my best to get it done so I never have to work on it again.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM

I should be done with the main quilting by Wednesday night!! Then the border. I get excited when I get this close to adding the binding (one of my favorite things). I guess I have a personality that will only allow myself to work on one project at a time - something about sticks in the fire. I also don't have a sewing room where I can stash unfinished projects, so I can only do one project at a time. I will persevere!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Know what you are saying. After doing a big project sometimes I have to make at least one small project so it can be completed pretty fast. Have made 4 table runners and once the 4th one is done then off to make a quilt again.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Whenever someone asks "what is your favorite quilt" I always answer "The next one" When you get to that almost finished place its hard to keep going sometimes., Enjoy the journey and the reward will shine
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 PM

if i'm soooooo tired of doing something that it isn't fun, i move on. do something else to get my 'groove' back. if it ain't fun, it ain't going to happen. THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN. REMEMBER that.
i do try to push myself, but ............ see above.