Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of repeating the same block >

Tired of repeating the same block

Tired of repeating the same block

Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 AM

There are many BOM sites, if you like to sew a lot, try several. If you sew a little, try one.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 AM

I, too, suffer from boredom when doing the same thing over and over. I was recently on McCall's site and found a quilt that has a lot of variation. I down loaded the free instructions and hope to start on it soon. Go to www.mccallsquilting.com/quiltalong Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 AM

I am with you on making the same block over and over. I am making a "Road to California" quilt with multiple blocks. Have 12 out of undecided number made. I am using the psychology to make one each day or two, and telling myself I will take a break on this one then!! (Hope it works!)Mariah
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 AM

I try to stay away from small blocks and enlarge or go twelve inch blocks so I want have to make so many. I don't mind the smaller ones on baby or lap size quilts. When I get tired I put it away for awhile but that adds to my ufo pile.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:29 PM

If I love the pattern enough I'll suffer through it.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM

I am making Lovers knot. 163 blocks all the same but 2 different color ways. I have about 120 done. It took 3 days about 3 hrs each day.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:33 AM

I have a solution for all of you. Try something new. I sew for a charity, and I don't use any patterns. Here is an example. Let's say you have 4 or 5 squares with animals for kids on them. Generally you discard something like that because there isn't enough blocks for a whole quilt. Got to think outside of the box, ladies. Every quilt doesn't need to be exactly the same!! Say---put a border of different colors on each square. Lay this blocks out on a flat surface and place them in a scattered pattern. Ok, now think "what else can I do?" Oh, I will make some half- sq. triangles to go around one side. Oh, now they need a small black edge to set them apart from the block. How about a block with a big flower going up the whole side. (do it.) lay it out and decide the placement. Then I would think---some small churn dash blocks or some wonky star blocks would look cute placed in another area. this thinking process continues and you have made "your own design"! I have so much fun doing this method. I don't get bored. Sometimes you have a lot of partial seam sewing, but with black strips to separate the motifs, it works in easily. I will post an example here.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0246-001.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 04:53 AM

Am I the only one that likes that sort of thing? It's great for when I'm too tired or lazy to think. I like to have an easy project and a harder one going at the same time.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 AM

Quilting can have a lot of repetition and I certainly am not interested in doing the same block over and over, particularly if it is the same fabrics. You might want to scroll through the photos on this Flickr group. Yes, there are lots of quilts with the same block repeated, but there are lots that are distinguished by wonderful design and color. Take a look.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/themodernquiltguild/
Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Nancy, it does start to get boring when you have to make a lot of one block. Even with assembly line piecing... yawn. Have you tried sewing a row quilt? Like a sampler, but with each row having a repeated block. There are some really pretty ones out there.
Check out this search I just did: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...ts&rs=ac&len=9
Some of those row quilts are wonderful. A couple of years ago my guild did row quilts by swapping. You would make your own row and then pass it on to someone else to add a row. The results were so much fun. I was new in the guild and didn't participate as I was afraid of 'messing up' but I'm hoping we'll do it again it the future.