Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of repeating the same block >

Tired of repeating the same block

Tired of repeating the same block

Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb C. View Post
I have a solution for all of you. Try something new. I sew for a charity, and I don't use any patterns. Here is an example. Let's say you have 4 or 5 squares with animals for kids on them. Generally you discard something like that because there isn't enough blocks for a whole quilt. Got to think outside of the box, ladies. Every quilt doesn't need to be exactly the same!! Say---put a border of different colors on each square. Lay this blocks out on a flat surface and place them in a scattered pattern. Ok, now think "what else can I do?" Oh, I will make some half- sq. triangles to go around one side. Oh, now they need a small black edge to set them apart from the block. How about a block with a big flower going up the whole side. (do it.) lay it out and decide the placement. Then I would think---some small churn dash blocks or some wonky star blocks would look cute placed in another area. this thinking process continues and you have made "your own design"! I have so much fun doing this method. I don't get bored. Sometimes you have a lot of partial seam sewing, but with black strips to separate the motifs, it works in easily. I will post an example here.
That is a really cute quult. T

Not everyone has that gift/ability to think/create like that, though.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:08 AM

I feel you. I picked out the fabric I wanted as the main part of my quilt (NO QUILT PATTERN IN MIND - only size). The fabric would work with my stash, I picked the size blocks I wanted for the size quilt that I wanted to make. So then I pulled an old phone book (for the pages), pulled out the pictures of the blocks I would like to try out too. Because I didn't want to get bogged down making the same block over and over, so I only made 4 of each block. I had 6 different styles of blocks picked out (this way I would have ALL of the blocks I would need, but NOT so many I would get tired of making them), this gives me a chance to try different blocks I wouldn't have done because of NOT want to make too many of the same blocks (it also gives you a chance to find out if you like making the blocks and want to do it again or not). When finished with ALL the different blocks, I use my wall to look at the layout. Move them around and use stash fabric to fill in and around. I've made a couple of these (did to twin sized quilts for twin boys, the same colors and blocks but the layout was different for each one - so each boy had HIS own quilt, different than his brothers quilt and mom could always tell them apart). Your extra blocks can make a pillow case out of or swap with other blocks and quilters.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Another thing you can do is make the same block but vary the size. Make some 3' 6", 9", 12". Lay them out and see what you need to go between them! 9 3" blocks together would make a 9" block. 4 6" blocks together would make 12" 9" + 3" would make a 12" blocks. All kinds of various sizes would keep the blocks fresh! Even just strips of fabric interspersed with the blocks would change the whole look of the quilt.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM

I am having the same problem, so for now I am working on small projects that give a more immediate sense of accomplishment. I am incapable of not sewing so for now I am making pincushions, etc.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:07 PM

I am making queen size quilts for my kids but I also make a lap quilt while I'm making the queen to give me a break after working on one for a while. It does get my sewing room in a bit of a mess but it's fun to get them both done at just about the same time.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Making sample quilts is a great idea. I have gone to websites that advertise blocks by size, i.e. 6in, 7in, etc. and I make different blocks in that size. I also like blocks that you can change colors in the very same block and the color change holds my attention for a little while. I have to have a CHALLENGE.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Like many here I love making quilts but want to learn a new technique each quilt. Doesn't always happen. Once I have learnt the technique I have another UFO to the pile.
I do make bags. Wall hangings table mats and runners and bunting. If you think of any others let us know.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by danlynmartin View Post
If I find a quilt I really like and it has a lot of repeating blocks I do several projects at the same time and only do one or two blocks and then move on to something else. I come back to that quilt several days later and do a couple of more. This makes it less boring and it is surprising how soon you seem to be putting it all together. This works for me and especially with paper piecing.
This is the solution I found. If I work on different WIPs at the same time.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 PM

A quilting friend of mine recently showed me her "story quilt"--may be just what you would like to do. The one she did was more a row-upon-row technique, so the bottom row looked like fencing, the next row like houses/rooftops, the next like trees, etc. and no sashing in between, so the background matched and it flowed. It was gorgeous.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM

I too have multiple WIP's and without them, I couldn't get any of them done. I can work on one until I am tired of it, then move to another. My son told me the other day I have too many going, but, they should all be done by Christmas, and I want to start a Snowman too.