Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too Tacky for a Quilt Show??

"Three years!?!?! Even I could get one done in that length of time. Either she is very good or you are very patient." KwiltyKahy

Well, that confirms my suspicions...there really is a market out there for another LongArm-er!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    I would agree about completed quilts, however, having been the featured quilter at our last show, I totally understand the pressure and do't feel it would be tacky at all. My only advice is something I forgot and wished I had done and that was to have a book or register for people to sign and leave their comments. After a few weeks, you forget who stopped by and what nice things they said. It would be great to have a lasting memento of that weekend.
    Great idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok...im new and ive never YET been to a quilt show...
    however...
    isnt it the front of the quilts that people go to see anyway? thats all i would ooo and ahh over lol
    You'd be surprised...at all of the quilt shows I've ever gone to, they offer latex gloves so that you can touch the quilts, turn them over, etc. and if you touch a quilt without a glove on and you're caught...let's just say, it's not pleasant! I'm not speaking from personal experience, I've witnessed it and it embarrassed me just hearing the chewing out the person got...
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I agree with some of the rest that you need to find another quilter. three years is a little much. Even for the best of them. I'd be getting my quilt back. And, as far as the show, the only ones I've ever been to, display finished quilts. But, I'd kinda like to see them myself, so why don't you give us a show here and let us decide?
    The show is the weekend of April 1st. I'll take pictures while they are hanging at the show. My avatar is not yet quilted and my moose needs to have the borders finished,

This top is now together but not quilted
    Name:  Attachment-170450.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  77.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your quilt tops are beautiful! Please keep us posted as to what you do!

Blog Entries
    HAHAHAHA!!!!How true!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    have you seen some of the quilts in shows??? tacky is not an issue

Blog Entries
    I would take back my quilts from the LA, 3 years is too long, and are you sure she still has them and that nothing has bappened to them. That happened to someone else on this board and when she contacted the LA, that person could not even find her quilt top. Call her immediately.

Blog Entries
    IMHO, you were invited, so go. I don't think showing finished tops only would be tacky.

They are stunning!

Your longarm quilter must REALLY be GOOD to leave a quilt there for THREE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, Holice...by the way, I really, really like your avatar!! Is that a quilt that you made? More importantly, do you have the pattern name for it -- I just LOVE it, particularly the bright colors that are used -- great job!

Our small group in a little tourist town decided to hang a show in the library, three stories, lots of banisters, balconies, blank walls and tables. Beautiful old polished wood and carvings. When everyone got their stuff hung, it was barely noticible in all that space.

I went home and brought baskets of UFOs and set up demonstration areas, stacked fabric, displayed blocks, WIPs, thread and notions. I heard more than one comment about all the strings but mostly raves for our show. Maybe it was tacky, but a real education for non-quilters.

In my opinion, I'd try to get them finished. Otherwise there will be lots of snide remarks from the peanut gallery. I usually don't criticize quilts out loud at shows because I'm there alone. But I have heard some not so complimentary comments from others. If you're the featured quilter, well, the attention to the details in your quilt will be intensified.

Quote Originally Posted by libthekwltr
    I agree, Holice...by the way, I really, really like your avatar!! Is that a quilt that you made? More importantly, do you have the pattern name for it -- I just LOVE it, particularly the bright colors that are used -- great job!
    Holice: I've admired your avatar for some time as well. I love the rainbow colors. I would like to know about the pattern as well. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think I'd check with the person who invited you, to be sure they understand what you would be displaying.

I haven't seen just quilt tops by a featured artist...all of them have been completed quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    THREE YEARS?????????

You must be VERY patient!
    I have to agree with this statement. :shock: Three years is really really waaaaay too long, even if she had explanations and you have been agreeing. There's no way she should have been putting you off for 3 years!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    At the Dallas show there were several booths and two exhibitors that said they only do tops now...the weight and bulk of traveling with the FULL quilt is too much!

If you are doing JUST a talk/trunk show then tops are fine!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Your longarm quilter must REALLY be GOOD to leave a quilt there for THREE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wouldn't wait that long for Karen McTavish, Kimmie Brunner or Sharon Schamber...let alone anyone else!

The last lady that said her quilt was at the LA for over a year came to find out that her quilt had been finished and sold!

Give that woman and call and demand your quilt back..finished or not!

Quote Originally Posted by ladydi64
    I would take back my quilts from the LA, 3 years is too long, and are you sure she still has them and that nothing has bappened to them. That happened to someone else on this board and when she contacted the LA, that person could not even find her quilt top. Call her immediately.
    I agree! It was my first thought - her LA lost 'em. And if they are like the photos of WIP, OMG!!! Irreplaceable.

Blog Entries
    Our guild won't accept quilt for the show unless they are finished. I've gone to lots of quilt shows and have never seen
    a WIP displayed.

Blog Entries
    Three years??? IMHO 1. The quilt is lost! 2. She made a non-repairable mistake 3. She quilted it and kept it 4. She packed it up with others and it went to someone else.

I agree with the majority. I would contact the guild and see if they are ok with the tops, only quilts for a quilt show. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok...im new and ive never YET been to a quilt show...
    however...
    isnt it the front of the quilts that people go to see anyway? thats all i would ooo and ahh over lol
    If you are lucky the quilt show will have a place marked on the front that lets you hold the quilt to look at it better including the back. Many times the back shows the quilting better than the front so it is nice to see the back.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    have you seen some of the quilts in shows??? tacky is not an issue
    ckcowl! ROFLMAO!!!!

If the front were all that mattered LAQ's could not command the fees or the accolades they do. Quilt show quilts are quilted.

I am also a person who enjoys making blocks, then rows and tops. I have a lot of tops completed. Not so many finished quilts. At a guild meeting one time , members asked to be able to see my work. I was very pleased that they might be interested in looking at my treasures. Before saying 'yes' I asked if they would be offended if these were mainly tops as that is what I had enjoy doing. I also collect quilts and a few unfinished tops. All was ok. When it was time for show and tell, a couple of smaller tables were pushed together and were treated as a bed for a bed turning. A couple of my friends were given white gloves; [just to be funny] and did the honors of turning as I spoke of each entry. I had many comments about the variety of quilts, appliqued, pieced, a whole cloth, and alot of quilts and tops featuring vintage fabrics. I adore feedsacks! It was great fun and I think they enjoyed the show and tell, [MY LITTLE TRUNK SHOW].

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast