Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Tacky for a Quilt Show?? >

Too Tacky for a Quilt Show??

Too Tacky for a Quilt Show??

Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM

It would be nice to have at least one completed quilt. That being said, I recently saw an interview with a designer who travels with only quilt tops for her trunk shows. She said with the current airline policies on checked bags it's the only way she can take a lot of pieces.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 AM

WOW, three years at a longarmer that is unimaginable to me. Course I do my own quilting but honestly what's going on with that person that it would sit there for three years?

Personally, I have never seen an unfinished quilt at a show. As in your case for demos, trunk shows and lectures that would seem fine. Since you are to be the featured quilter I can only think your work must be fabulous. But judging at shows is a different story altogether. They are looking at the finished product to make their decisions regardless of who did the final quilting.

I would get in touch with your guild and find out what requirements they have to show your quilt. There are different rules for different guilds and shows. So that would be the first place to start.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM

With the price of airlines and shipping going thru the roof, I think alot of people will be showing quilt tops. They are sooo much lighter. After all, its the top we are interested in and I would love seeing the backs especially applique, to see how its cut out behind. I think this is a win-win situation. Being able to see these WIP's back and front may take some of the intimidation out of applique.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
With the price of airlines and shipping going thru the roof, I think alot of people will be showing quilt tops. They are sooo much lighter. After all, its the top we are interested in and I would love seeing the backs especially applique, to see how its cut out behind. I think this is a win-win situation. Being able to see these WIP's back and front may take some of the intimidation out of applique.

I disagree. I'm interested in seeing a quilt, not a top and the quilting is 50% of the finished piece. It's not a quilt unless it's quilted. I don't know of anyone who would show an unfinished top unless it was one, in an educational type booth to show construction.... Just my opinion!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

It's my understanding this will be a special exhibit so for me the usual rules would not apply as long as signage indicates that.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
It's my understanding this will be a special exhibit so for me the usual rules would not apply as long as signage indicates that.
It is a special exhibit. I do not belong to the guild and my quilts will not be judged. I will also be vending there and doing demos. I do have finished quilts also it's just that I like some of the newer unfinished ones a lot. Signage might do the trick or maybe they can be near the demo. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

I agree with many here that I would contact whoever is running that show and ask their thoughts on this. I also agree that I would have sought out a new LA quilter long ago. Three years is about two years and ten months too long to still have your quilt. :shock:
Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by hobo2000

I disagree. I'm interested in seeing a quilt, not a top and the quilting is 50% of the finished piece. It's not a quilt unless it's quilted. I don't know of anyone who would show an unfinished top unless it was one, in an educational type booth to show construction.... Just my opinion!
I think both are important. Quilting like the people on this board do really make a quilt. And bad quilting could spoil a beautiful quilt. Unless it is finished, it is not a quilt but a top.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Three years!?!?! Even I could get one done in that length of time. Either she is very good or you are very patient.
Originally Posted by applique
I have been invited to show my work as the featured quilter at a guild show. Normally I give a trunk show/Demo/Lecture to guilds at their meetings. So most of my quilts are just the tops. At least the last 12 or so new quilts are all tops waiting for my LAQ to get to them (one quilt has been with a LA for 3 years!). At the meetings, I just mount them on heavy felt with a sleeve and hang them that way as a WIP. They seem to love it....but is it too tacky for a quilt show which is coming up real soon??
Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 AM

I'm one of those who is much more a top maker than a quilt finisher....so I'm more interested in the tops of quilts than the finishing techniques and quilting designs. I'd love a top-only show!