Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Too Tacky for a Quilt Show??

Blog Entries
    [quote=ladydi64]I would take back my quilts from the LA, 3 years is too long, and are you sure she still has them and that nothing has bappened to them.
    ---------------------
    That was my first thought. i'd check and ask to actually SEE them
    just to make sure they still existed. Then I'd take them to someone who will get them done some time this century.

I've been to only a couple of quilt shows so I'm no expert about what or shouldnt be displyed .... but ..... I will say it would be refreshing to see some quilts displayed in the various stages of development. Perhaps this is what I would see at a guild but I don't currently have that option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Seems to me a completed quilt is expected at a quilt show. Also, I'd find another LA to get your work done. Waiting more than 5 weeks is not acceptable, don't you think?
    I agree with Theresa and you should call your LA to see if she can still find your quilt

I enjoy seeing unfinished tops and being able to see how they are constructed, so as a 'member of the public' I am sure that with approval from the organisers they could be displayed or discussed as works in progress without any disapproval from admirers.

Blog Entries
    NO, I wouldn't put unfinished quilts in a quilt show. I don't think I look at them long if they weren't finished. We all have unfinished quilts. What's the point? You probably make very beautiful quilts.. but until they are finished they aren't a quilt.. they are just pieced fabric.
    Sorry, I don't think that' what you were wanting to hear.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Kaye Woods just puts a back on, no batting, and takes her quilts as tablecloths to shows. She saves a lot on shipping...

Seems to me a completed quilt is expected at a quilt show. Also, I'd find another LA to get your work done. Waiting more than 5 weeks is not acceptable, don't you think?
    I agree - you need to find another LA-er. There's so many on this board whose work is just beautiful. I'd start here.

Aw Theresa, you are too kind, and so tactful! I'd be grumbling after 4 weeks, but 3 YEARS???! LOL

As the quilts being displayed at trunk shows are about the piecing/applique and not to showcase some LAQ, I think that it is fine for Applique to not have them quilted. But for a quilt show I would think it would be preferred for them to be quilted. After all, aren't all the other entries required to be finished?

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    The quilt shows I go to have judge and unjudged sections. I personally would not mind seeing an unfinished project. Then I can picture my own quilting (which has to be very simple) rather than seeing someones ornate that I cannot replicate. Does that make sense?

Blog Entries
    I am posting the solution under pictures Photos for Guild Quilt Show. I am sending the guild the photos and descriptions of finished quilts and tops and they can choose what they want to display. I will be vending and doing demos so some will be shown with the demos. Thanks for all the posts, they were very interesting and helpful.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108738-1.htm#2800051

3 years???? this is uncalled for. I sent my quilt to a Long arm quilter and the most time is 7 week turn around. This is if life gets in the way.. I would find a new LAQer.

IF the present LAQ still has the quilt, she should do the entire project for FREE. My gut feeling is that she doesn't have the quilt and is hoping it will be forgotten, I guess. Would like to know what happens! (Ugh!)

Quote Originally Posted by applique
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I agree with some of the rest that you need to find another quilter. three years is a little much. Even for the best of them. I'd be getting my quilt back. And, as far as the show, the only ones I've ever been to, display finished quilts. But, I'd kinda like to see them myself, so why don't you give us a show here and let us decide?
    The show is the weekend of April 1st. I'll take pictures while they are hanging at the show. My avatar is not yet quilted and my moose needs to have the borders finished,
    Sister ... I wouldn't care if it was a work in progress ... personally I'd be at your booth for quite a while ... you do awesome work!!! I say go with the mixture ... just make sure signage is available ... and since you are basically at a booth, not a part of quilts to be judged, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

Wish the show was near where I live ... I'd be there with bells on! I love the horses and the wolf in your avatar!

WHy three years does she do it for free? Are you particular or unclear about quilting designs? Want help pm me

Blog Entries
    The guild called today and they want ALL the pieces finished and tops!! What fun!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3