Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble ordering wide backing >

Trouble ordering wide backing

Trouble ordering wide backing

Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 AM

I am fortunate to have 2 LQS near me which carry a nice variety of 108” backing fabrics...and they definitely appreciate customer support during these uncertain times.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:00 AM

I've had amazing luck with fabric.com. They sent the wrong pattern of indoor/outdoor fabric (on a long cardboard tube), and they told me to just keep it and they'd send the correct one! Good customer service.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:07 AM

I was in a big quilt store on Monday and was very surprised about some of the slightly empty shelves. I asked a clerk about it and she said it has been hard to get cotton fabrics in. Guess it is just like anything else-this pandemic has really delayed production of many items.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:13 PM

I have always gotten my fabric from Hancock of Paducka. They have the yards of fabric that they have on ;hand listed on their website. I always finalize my order before I leave the site because if I just leave it in my chart and don't check out....it may not be available when I do check out. One time I had it in my cart and was looking for more and when I went to check out...puff....it had sold out....but I knew it then. This last time I was looking for some sale fabric to use for masks and there was one I wanted but it said "out of stock...but more is on the way get your order in now" and I did....and I got it before the likely date they had listed as it being back in stock. They do have it posted on their website that shipping may take longer than normal.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:50 PM

I still have a back order from June from Hancock's of Paducah--luckily only 1/2 yd and not urgent. fabric.com never sent my face mask lining--when I called they said it was poor quality and my bill was adjusted (not sure about that!) and C & T Publishing shipped me a book that I ordered in July (but knew it was not being published until Aug)--they sent via USPS on July 28 and according to tracking # it's sitting in Jersey City since Aug. 3--will say that C & T did send me the eBook--but PO is saying it is lost and since I don't have the original shipping invoice C & T has to file for that--so we'll see what happens. I realize some of this mess is supply chain, but I never had any issues with mailing packages until mid-July--that's on the PO!
Old 08-28-2020, 04:43 AM

I too ordered from a reputable company a year or so ago and the order was delayed and then the fabrics were all wrong and fell apart upon using them. What a night mare. Customer service was of no help. Just told me I would not do business with this company again. I hear all kinds of rave reviews about this company and keep my mouth shut for obvious reasons. This was long before the shortages and long before Covid. I have run into many shortages since then, like everyone else, I did request refund on elastic that never came and I did receive the refund. Looks like some vendors have to update their web sites if things are on a serious back order.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:28 AM

“I have been getting things ordered from MSQS and Accuquilt but most of the fabric that I like online is sold out. And all orders are taking at least two weeks. But I remember back to the days we would order from catalogues and it tool 6 to 8 weeks. (When it finally arrived it was a surprise because it took so long.)”

I LOVE THAT! SO TRUE. And i do remember. Filling out the paper order and sending it off with a check! Ah, those were the days.
MSQC is my favorite and it really makes you wonder when most things you look at are unavailable. Actually a little scary as to what is happening in our world right now.
My retired friends told me to buy now because you may not be able to buy all you want in retirement. And i have happily followed that advice! .
Who would have thought it would apply for right now!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Beginning of this month, I ordered a bolt of Muslin from Marshall's Dry Goods. The site said 'ships in 5-7 days', I wasn't in a real big hurry for it and ordered. I had it in my hands 6 days after I ordered it. I'll buy from them again without blinking twice and I'm glad I picked up all the fabric I need for my sister's quilt now instead of a couple months from now. If the predictions about Covid hold true, we're going to be in serious, serious trouble and ordering fabric then will no longer be an option, I'm afraid.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:29 PM

Marshall Dry Goods is my recommendation, too.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:40 PM

MSQC and Jordan Fabrics have sent my recent purchases in a timely manner. Both use tracking numbers for fabric.