Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble ordering wide backing >

Trouble ordering wide backing

Trouble ordering wide backing

Old 08-26-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Trouble ordering wide backing

Is it me??
I ordered a piece of backing on 7/20 from a reputable vendor. They verified it's was in stock & charged me that day. I never received a shipping notice so after three weeks and three unreturned phone calls I finally spoke to someone who said it was on backorder. I am STILL waiting for that refund...
I placed an order with different vendor, verified in stock, charged that day, no shipping info within a week, called them, on backorder. Cancelled and did get refund.
Last week I placed my third order. Again I verified that it was in stock. (And this time I wasn't charged. Yea me!) Five minutes ago I received email it's out of stock until November!
I'm sick about it and sad because eventho all three were different fabrics I liked them and I can't find anything locally that I like as well.
All three vendors are reputable and I've ordered from them without problems in the past.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:37 AM

We live in trying times. Looking at history you just don't want to be at the center of plagues or wars. Supplies are impacted as well as staffing and now shipping delays.

I don't order much fabric any more. I've always had very good success with eQuilter being in stock but earlier this year it did indeed take more like 3 weeks than 3 days to receive my order.

I wouldn't hold it too much against the companies and blame it on Covid, but I myself am in a feud with a major chain because of a non-delivered order during storms and weather a few years back and the subsequent dealings with customer service. The missing order I could have overlooked, but not the customer service.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by emcay View Post
Is it me??
I ordered a piece of backing on 7/20 from a reputable vendor. They verified it's was in stock & charged me that day. I never received a shipping notice so after three weeks and three unreturned phone calls I finally spoke to someone who said it was on backorder. I am STILL waiting for that refund...
I placed an order with different vendor, verified in stock, charged that day, no shipping info within a week, called them, on backorder. Cancelled and did get refund.
Last week I placed my third order. Again I verified that it was in stock. (And this time I wasn't charged. Yea me!) Five minutes ago I received email it's out of stock until November!
I'm sick about it and sad because eventho all three were different fabrics I liked them and I can't find anything locally that I like as well.
All three vendors are reputable and I've ordered from them without problems in the past.
My friend works at Barnyard Quilting, they have wide backs in stock. https://www.barnyardquilting.com/shop/FABRIC/WIDE-BACKS and will ship within the US.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I learned Hancocks Paducah is now online again--Ebay--not sure about wide backing but they are getting fabrics out and delivered again. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by emcay View Post
Is it me??
This sounds very frustrating! Lots of places are still in lockdown, lots of people still not working *not* because there's no work, but because their state prohibits it. I think we all need to be kind and patient with each other, this entire year has been such a challenge for everyone.

Regarding your first order, I would call them back and verify that they show you cancelled your order, then sweetly ask when you may expect your refund, or should you dispute the charge with your credit card company?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:44 AM

Have you tried Marshall's Dry Goods or Quilted Twins? I've had very good "luck" with them and prices and customer service is great.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:48 AM

I ordered wide backing from 1,000 of Bolt Only One Nut about a month ago. I got it within two weeks which I think is pretty good for online stores now since they are all so busy. They have a very nice selection and it was cheaper than most other places.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! If I hadn't been told three times that it was in stock I might be a little less irritated. An "I don't know " or "We'll have to check" would have been better for me. And Peckish, the vendor says they refunded it according to their records so the credit card company is now involved...and pardon me for not having much confidence in their record keeping.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:21 PM

Not to disparage Quilted Twins, but 2 backings I've purchased from them have been very stiff and didn't soften with prewashing. I do like a lot of their regular fabrics and the quick delivery.
I have a quilt to mail this week. I hope it goes as quickly as the last one.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:43 PM

There are various issues going on right now, 1) is getting the product off the boats 2.) another is the USPS and their various problems, and 3.) some people are dealing with local concerns and the COVID 19 shut downs.

I have been getting things ordered from MSQS and Accuquilt but most of the fabric that I like online is sold out. And all orders are taking at least two weeks. But I remember back to the days we would order from catalogues and it tool 6 to 8 weeks. (When it finally arrived it was a surprise because it took so long.)