Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble With Rag Quilt >

Trouble With Rag Quilt

Trouble With Rag Quilt

Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i have what is probably a dumb question about rag quilt making. is the back of the quilt also raggedy or are all layers brought to the front? like if there are 3 layers, do they all go up and then the back is smooth? does this question even make sense? I have read several tutes but still confused.
All the layers are sewn to the same side, leaving the other side with 'regular' seams (smooth).
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM

that is what i figured but wanted to be sure . do you use batting and if so is it cut smaller than blocks and then stitched down first? some of the tutes say to do that and others do not.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 AM

I could help with rag quilt info, if anyone wants to PM me.

that is what i figured but wanted to be sure . do you use batting and if so is it cut smaller than blocks and then stitched down first? some of the tutes say to do that and others do not.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 AM

Sounds like a good excuse for a new machine to me!! :) I would check out the Kenmores, they are made by Janome. I have had mine for a while now and I simply adore it, it is very powerful and runs great. I think they have a lower end model than the one I have on sale right now for $180, I have heard good things about that one too.

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM

I have a Brother from WM also, it is a light weight machine and when I tried my first rag quilt had the same problems. (i used 2 flannels and batting) A walking foot is the best solution. The machine is not too light weight, but when using so many layers you need that help from the walking foot. Also, I use a heavy needle (jeans) when doing thick layers. A walking foot is inexpensive and you will use it a lot for other quilting projects...a worthy investment.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Rag quilts are very forgiving. I made my first one with batting cut down so it was not caught in the seams. Quilted each square with an X and then sewed them together. The rest I have made using old flannel sheets for the middles, cut the same size as the blocks. Some I quilt with X's, some with +'s and some free motion in various shapes. I get bored with the X's.

Just have fun with it, whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 AM

For that many layers, you will certainly need a walking foot. If you don't have one, it will be a great investment.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 AM

I think I will look into a walking foot for my machine first! Thanks everyone you have been very helpful!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Your seams will have thicknesses of 12 fabrics if you make it as in your first post(6 on top and 6 on bottom). That is quite a bit. I use a Brother1500 that is a workhorse and I wouldn't have any problem, but that is thick. Remember also, that you will have to clip all of that thickness.

If it is a good quality flannel, it would be too hot for me to sleep with, but a lot of people get cold. I made one with denim on one side and flannel on the other. I didn't put any kind of batting or flannel in the center. It was plenty heavy.

Everyone has their own preferences, you just have to find the one that you like. I would take some leftover fabric and play with it.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

i have two brothers but i have a walking foot and never had any problems with too much fabric except sometimes sewing over thick seams.