Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble With Rag Quilt >

Trouble With Rag Quilt

Trouble With Rag Quilt

Old 09-10-2010, 02:05 PM

That's what the walking foot is designed to handle.
Three of my Brother machines I got at Wal-Mart, and they all came with complete sets of feet.
Your Brother likely came with a walking foot, and it will do the trick.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Your seams will have thicknesses of 12 fabrics if you make it as in your first post(6 on top and 6 on bottom). That is quite a bit. I use a Brother1500 that is a workhorse and I wouldn't have any problem, but that is thick. Remember also, that you will have to clip all of that thickness.

If it is a good quality flannel, it would be too hot for me to sleep with, but a lot of people get cold. I made one with denim on one side and flannel on the other. I didn't put any kind of batting or flannel in the center. It was plenty heavy.

Everyone has their own preferences, you just have to find the one that you like. I would take some leftover fabric and play with it.
In each block i have a cotton pc on top, 1 pc of flannel in the middle, and 1 pc of flannel on the bottom!! So every block has three pieces of fabric! This one is just mainly a practice quilt to see if i even like it once it is done!! Thanks so much
Old 09-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Ok, I thought when you said 2 of cotton and 4 of flannel that was for each block. duh!!!!!

That would only make 6 layers and I haven't had any trouble with any of machines sewing through this. Your machine may be different and need the walking foot. I have never had to use mine, but machines have their own personalities sometimes.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I always cut my middle filler fabric 1/4" smaller then the top and back for rag quilts. No use stripping gears on your machine and that will happen if the fabric is too thick and you have to pull it through.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I always cut my middle filler fabric 1/4" smaller then the top and back for rag quilts. No use stripping gears on your machine and that will happen if the fabric is too thick and you have to pull it through.
I get it. So you are saying the middle fabric is not included in the seaming, right? Very interesting, I never thought of that.