Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT >

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

TRUE COST OF MAKING A QUILT

Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I don't make quilts for profit either, but it galls me when people ask me to make a quilt - AND say they'll pay me for my time - but the price they want to pay won't even cover the cost of the fabric.

I made one as a gift for my MIL, it was huge and beautiful and took a long, long time. She made light of it until my wonderful, sweet, darling husband told her to insure it for $7000, because that's how much it would cost to replace it. He did not pull that figure out of the air, either - he added up the cost of my time plus materials.
That is a very sweet, smart husband!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 AM

Compared to the garage full of unused tools - some still in original boxes - my DH has, quilting is a bargain!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 AM

Thanks - I never looked at it that way - I quilt a little here and a little there - after I finish work and try to quilt at least a full day on the weekneds if DH is involved in one of hisprojects. My 'work hourly rat is quite a bit higher than average - so if I took that into consideration - they would be museum masterpieces - but I quilt for ME - even if it is somehing I am donating!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 AM

Recently a friend asked me to make a quilt for her daughter for graduation from some antique blocks that she had found years ago in the attic of her family home that had been in her family since the early 1900s. I thought it would be a breeze, right? The blocks are already made so how hard could it be? Well, none of the blocks were the same size as she (the maker) had washed them after she made them. The only thing I could do with them was applique them onto squares of a background fabric. Long story short, I finished it, after about 150 hours of work. I got so attached to it that it broke my heart to actually give it away. I won't ever make a quilt for someone who asks me to. I get too attached to them, they are like giving away my children. I will voluntarily make them for family and friends but not because someone asks me to.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 AM

My niece sent me an email the other day saying she wanted me to make quilts for all 3 of her kids with their names on them and had very specific instuctions on what she wanted. I had made them baby quilts when they were born. I replied that the material would be around $75 or more for each quilt and if she bought the material I would show her how to piece the quilts on my next visit (this summer) then I would quilt them for her on my Long Arm. I still have not had a reply from her!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 AM

Let's put it this way.If I made one quilt at your prices,I would be spending in excess of $1,000 anyway you look at it. If I didn't make the quilt, I would, alledgedly, save that $1,000. But where would it be, but where would that $1,000 be? hmmmmm.

In addition to that, even if I spent for the materials, etc that it takes to make a quilt, if I didn't make it, I would loose some of the most precious things upon this earth. That being thanks, smiles, complements and self satisfaction and thanks to God that my quilt came out acceptable, not perfect.

Which would you rather have: The $1,000 or the happiness that come along with making a quilt. I prefer the later.

Thank you for reading: I remain, a mother, a grand-mother, a great-grand-mother and a faithful friend. I'm not asking for more. Thank you, God!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 AM

I enjoyed your calculations b/c MDM made a dble sided KS quilt for MDS and DiL for their wedding. She spent 2 yrs making it with lots of love. It has NEVER been on any bed in the soon to be 6 yrs they've been married. She went with my mom into a fabric store and asked a clerk about how much a KS quilt would cost that was hanging up and was shocked when told between $250 - $300 or more.... (It's like she thought it was a cheap way to give a gift if you made it yourself!) My son recognizes that Mom probably is hurt so he told me he wraps up in it at least 180 days/year...small consolation. I had done a counted cross-stitch that was professionally framed. MDS made a point of showing that they had displayed the picture in their 1st home. A yr later they moved and it is not anywhere to be found. Lesson learned: Be sure your handwork will be appreciated! You don't expect that you would be compensated for the labor, but would like it to be loved as you spent sooo much love making it...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM

That is the very reason I quit sewing cloths for other people. No one wants to pay what sewing is really worth and that is the reason people buy quilts from over seas.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Let's put it this way.If I made one quilt at your prices,I would be spending in excess of $1,000 anyway you look at it. If I didn't make the quilt, I would, alledgedly, save that $1,000. But where would it be, but where would that $1,000 be? hmmmmm.

In addition to that, even if I spent for the materials, etc that it takes to make a quilt, if I didn't make it, I would loose some of the most precious things upon this earth. That being thanks, smiles, complements and self satisfaction and thanks to God that my quilt came out acceptable, not perfect.

Which would you rather have: The $1,000 or the happiness that come along with making a quilt. I prefer the later.

Thank you for reading: I remain, a mother, a grand-mother, a great-grand-mother and a faithful friend. I'm not asking for more. Thank you, God!
This is a real 'eye-opener' subject this A.M. - but SO TRUE. I think we all do it not only for the love of quilting, but for the love of those we do it for. This is the REAL reason quilters are such SPECIAL PEOPLE - WE CARE!!!

In the 80's, while having a booth at a Country Peddlers Show, I bartered w/2 different fellow vendors who made BEAUTIFUL hand made carved/toile painted furniture. For 4 quilts, I got 3 hand carved/painted hope chests for 3 grand dgtrs graduating, a custom gun cabinet for late hubby & hand carved entry bench for dgtr.

I considered it a good swap, the other vendors were true artists in their work & I think we all appreciated the time/work that went into our pieces.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love. :lol:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 AM

And don't forget to add the backing material. Your figures are very realistic. People don't realize the costs that go into making a quilt, let alone the time. Kind of an expensive hobby but I love escaping into my own little world doing it.