Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 PM

I would use it as a sewing room, but before moving the longarm, I would set up cutting area, ironing area, sewing area, reading area, tv, storage, planning wall etc. the lonarm would take up lots of space in that room....
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Utilize that space. If it makes it easier for you to do something you enjoy, then I say go for it. Happy quilting.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM

If you have to clean it, cool it, and heat it, you can do whatever you want to do with it. Go for it! Great idea.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM

If not now, when?
It's your home, do what you want.
We all wish we had that freedom.
Live on the edge a little and get going.
Life's too short.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 PM

I say go for it! You will be so happy in the larger room. If I lived alone, that is exacty what I would do.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM

i think that sounds like a good idea!! it sounds like you would be happy in the larger room
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM

I agree with everyone that you can do what you want with your house. Also, it's much better to use the existing master bedroom than to knock out a wall. Not only would that project be expensive, but if you reduce the number of potential bedrooms in the house you make it lose value when it's time to sell. This is a consideration even if you have no intention of selling it, ever. You never know what might come up, and if someone is inheriting the house someday, that also might mean something to you.

I'm a little bugged about you sleeping on a couch. If it's because the TV puts you to sleep, maybe you can put the TV wherever the best bed is going to be, and that will be your new master bedroom. You don't want to wind up with back trouble that would interfere with your quilting! You shouldn't have to sacrifice a comfortable bedroom to get the sewing area the way you want it. You'll love your house when you make it suited to you, with no regard for what anyone else thinks goes where.

Another idea, if you wanted to use the living room, might be to get a door (or French doors) put in between it and whatever is next to it. We did that to keep our pets out of the living room. It's the one room in the house where guests can sit down without getting covered with hair.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 AM

I am in a similar situation and I have been thinking of doing the same thing! My sewing room/guest bedroom is the smallest in the house and is jam packed wall to wall to ceiling (nearly!) with quilting stuff. I even have to crawl under the cabinet to get out of the room when I use the back leaf extension! I have used graph paper and little paper cut outs to see how I could arrange everything if I used the master bedroom. So what is stopping me? I have a four poster queen size bed which I love and quilts to put on it. I would have to give these up for a twin bed in order to fit in the smaller bedroom and I cant quite bring myself to do that! But if you can manage it, DO IT!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 AM

If it was me, I wouldn't have any trouble at all turning the master bedroom into a sewing room. I think it sounds like a great plan.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 AM

If I lived alone, I would do just that. Go for it, make life easy.
Mary in TX