Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn PVC frame other way around? >

Turn PVC frame other way around?

Turn PVC frame other way around?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Default Turn PVC frame other way around?

For those of you who have the Dritz pvc frame, is the adjustment feature or mechanism the same on all four legs?

The space where I would like to use the frame is narrow, so I would want to use the frame with a narrower side in front of me. I am not worried about whether I can reach the whole thing; I can turn the frame or adjust the quilt in the frame.

The ads mention the back legs are adjustable for giving the frame a comfortable angle, but they also mention the front is adjustable for comfortable height. I don't know why you couldn't do identical adjustments on all four legs, but I want to be sure.

I've searched the forums and found lots of discussions about these quilting frames, and after much thought and calculating, I decided the Dritz pvc quilting frame may be what I need. I know I could make my own, but I like the adjustability of the Dritz frame, where a DIY frame would require me to have extra legs of varying lengths stored.

Is the adjustment feature or mechanism the same on all four legs?

TIA.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I'm not familiar with the frame, but wanted to welcome you to the QB
Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I have one that has several adjustments of all four legs. I can have it level to the floor, or "lean" it towards me. The brand name of mine is Dritz.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I'm not familiar with the frame, but wanted to welcome you to the QB
Thank you so much. I've been around, lurking for years. I forget you haven't seen me since I've seen you. I love the information and support of everyone here.

So I should at least introduce myself. Valerie, empress223 from Phoenix, AZ. It is crazy to be a fan of quilts here because much of the time, just looking at a quilt makes me break out in a sweat. LOL! But I have always loved quilts and still have patterns pulled from women's magazines during high school in the early '70s.

I have not made many quilts, but I have built quite a stash of both fabric and patterns and inspiration.

My ongoing project that I would like the pvc frame for is a king-sized quilt I made for my daughter a few years back. I am hand quilting, and it gets set aside in the heat of summer, 9 mos of the year here. I hope having it in a frame off my lap will extend my quilting time.

And now, just so I don't get diatracted from my question -- squirrel! -- are each of the four legs of the Dritz pvc quilting frame adjustable the same way so you could work from any side if you choose?

Last edited by empress223; 04-09-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have one that has several adjustments of all four legs. I can have it level to the floor, or "lean" it towards me. The brand name of mine is Dritz.
Thanks!

So are the possible adjustments on the front legs the same as the possible adjustments on the back legs? Thanks.

Last edited by empress223; 04-09-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by empress223 View Post
For those of you who have the Dritz pvc frame, is the adjustment feature or mechanism the same on all four legs?

The space where I would like to use the frame is narrow, so I would want to use the frame with a narrower side in front of me. I am not worried about whether I can reach the whole thing; I can turn the frame or adjust the quilt in the frame.

The ads mention the back legs are adjustable for giving the frame a comfortable angle, but they also mention the front is adjustable for comfortable height. I don't know why you couldn't do identical adjustments on all four legs, but I want to be sure.

TIA.
I am updating this in case anyone has a similar question in the future. I posted my question with another group as well and a couple people commented that they used their Dritz pvc frame as I plan to.

They said each leg is adjustable so you can work from the narrower side and you can raise the other "side" (which would now be the back) so the frame tilts toward you as it does when used as designed with a wide side as the "front."

One person did remind me, though, to consider the bar that runs from each front leg to each back leg as part of the frame upport structure would be running right across the new "front." So that could affect how comfortable you are and whether you can pull the frame up close with your knees under it.

The frame is on sale right now and I have an additional 20% off my order, so with that and having it delivered for store pickup for free shipping, I decided to go for it. I priced the pipe and joints at Home Depot and Lowe's and going that route might save me $5-10 over my final sale price, but I am fine with that because my DIY version might not have as easily adjusting legs and would not have the specially-made clamps. AND now the time I would have spent at the hardware store and cutting the pipe (actually, having it cut at the store) can now be spent quilting on the new frame.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor put one together for her granddaughter who wanted to learn to hand quilt. They have adjusted it through the years. She's twelve and does very well. She's been doing it since 8 years old and has made 3 crib size. She's gotten to where she sets the frame up herself. She can make it lap if she wants. She often goes to guild with her grandma and a couple other young girls are there. they have their own little section where they work on their projects. I think it's the best thing for these youngsters.