Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two sided quilt? >

Two sided quilt?

Two sided quilt?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 AM

Suecq; welcome aboard! I was just thinking of doing very simple block patterns on both sides, perhaps a 9 patch with a fussy cut block next to it. (alternate the 9 patch for reverse side) I think my fabrics will work in a situation like this. What do you think about this pattern idea?
Welcome to the board and you've come to the right place for ideas and help in every quilty situation.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 AM

Going to Cotton Theory now and see what they have done with a two sided quilt. Thanks so much.

Gosh, that is exactly what I had in my head. Thank you so much for this info. If only I could get it outa my head and on to the sewing machine.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Quiltinghere; did you use her theory in making your Log Cabin quilt? Is it really bulky, I would think that pattern would be especially heavy with all the seams on two sides. But if you use yours 3 seasons it must not be....looks like I better buy that book or DVD.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 AM

I made a double sided quilt just over a year ago. The front was an assortment of stars done Amish fashion and the back was a plain black.

I used Japanese quilting in grey which was a neutral for the front. It looked fantastic and really gave the plain side a real oomph whilst the colours just stood out on the patterned side.

Hope that helps. Will look to see if I have any photos of it so I can post them.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Tussy thank you so much I look forward to seeing the picture of your quilt.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM

I tend to always make double sided quilts--more bang for the buck. Plus, in my quest to use up stash, I usually don't have big enough pieces for the backing. So I make the backs to fit the fronts. Often, the colors coordinate but the patterns differ/complement. I use an HQ16 for quilting and have yet to have a problem with seam thickness.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reminder about the two sided log cabin. Haven't done one since I did the class. Just cut my batting squares and will get into my scrap tote. I love to paper piece and this is even more fun!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 AM
jlw

I am having the same challenge! I want to make a double-sided quilt for my grandson - one side Ravens and one side Orioles. I'm wandering if I could do a sew and flip method for the first side on just batting - no backing, using dark thread in my bobbin. Then, when that side is completed (minus binding/backing), turn the whole thing over and repeat on the other side using the dark stitching to guide my stitching/flipping?? Then binding the entire quilt.... Input??
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Sounds like you have some good ideas - good luck with your quilts!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM

There should not a problem to have a two-sided quilt. I have successfully done pieced backings (more practical to use smaller fabrics from the stash than to run out and buy backing fabrics), and I have not had any difficulty in quilting through all three layers even with extra seams. Stippling or meandering works nicely for both sides of the quilt. Hope this works for you.