Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Challenge of the Month 2010 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 AM

All I can say thank goodness the list inside my head is not considered UFOs. Now I want to try the table runner you made and pillow cases. And I thought the idea was to get rid of projects..... :)

You're doing a great job of cleaning up your UFOs.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Burnsk – beautiful! I love the kids ABC quilt. It looks like you’ve been having a lot of fun with your UFOs. Love the red toenails!! :lol:

I finally managed to take a picture of my May UFO. I'm still working on June's. This is just a wall hanging. I have taught the 'Half Yard Challenge' class that was shown on Fons & Porters several years ago. Basically, you take 5 half yard cuts of fabric, cut certain pieces from it, and design a quilt from there. So this is my own design. :-D I want to redo it in baby fabrics, adding a flying geese border around the entire edge to make it a tad bigger and usable for a baby.

Half Yd Challenge quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86787[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86782.jpe  
Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Burnsk – beautiful! I love the kids ABC quilt. It looks like you’ve been having a lot of fun with your UFOs. Love the red toenails!! :lol:

I finally managed to take a picture of my May UFO. I'm still working on June's. This is just a wall hanging. I have taught the 'Half Yard Challenge' class that was shown on Fons & Porters several years ago. Basically, you take 5 half yard cuts of fabric, cut certain pieces from it, and design a quilt from there. So this is my own design. :-D I want to redo it in baby fabrics, adding a flying geese border around the entire edge to make it a tad bigger and usable for a baby.
OOOhhh - that sounds like the making of a tutorial. Can you share the directions and show us all how to make the cuts and put back together? I love your quilt and the way you laid out the colors. I can already see it in baby fabrics. Pretty.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM

burnsk - your quilts and table runners are great!

tiffany - I love your half yard challenge!

I and when I can ever get a new computer, this one is dying a slow death, I will post those pictures and any future ones. Maybe over the weekend I can con my DS into letting me use his computer, doubtful.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk

OOOhhh - that sounds like the making of a tutorial. Can you share the directions and show us all how to make the cuts and put back together? I love your quilt and the way you laid out the colors. I can already see it in baby fabrics. Pretty.
A tutorial....um, maybe. Let me see what I can do, though it'll be a little bit. The only requirement, other than the 5 half yard cuts of fabric, is a ruler from Fon's & Porter. It is their Half & Quarter Square ruler. They run about $12 but you can use your coupon to Joann's and get them 40-50% off. :-D I just love my coupons!!!! I also really love this ruler. It makes things super easy, and anything that reduces the math I have to mess with is a winner with me. :thumbup:

Thanks Lyn. I understand about the computer. Mine is on the way out and I think it's holding it together on a prayer and hope. :roll:
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk

A tutorial....um, maybe. Let me see what I can do, though it'll be a little bit. The only requirement, other than the 5 half yard cuts of fabric, is a ruler from Fon's & Porter. It is their Half & Quarter Square ruler. They run about $12 but you can use your coupon to Joann's and get them 40-50% off. :-D I just love my coupons!!!! I also really love this ruler. It makes things super easy, and anything that reduces the math I have to mess with is a winner with me. :thumbup: :roll:
The next time I go to JoAnn's I will look for that ruler so I'll be ready to go. Of course, I have the 5 half yard cuts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 AM

You will need one very dark half yard cut and a good light half yard cut. The other three half yard cuts should be in the medium value. This is your color palatte for the Challenge. :wink:
Old 06-17-2010, 07:03 AM

You will need one very dark half yard cut and a good light half yard cut. The other three half yard cuts should be in the medium value. This is your color palatte for the Challenge. :wink:
Are you going to give us the directions??? :D
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Stupid question from a newbie...what's a UFO? Is there a Quilting Board dictionary around here somewhere? : )

Thanks.

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Here is the official thread for the UFO Challenge of the Month 2010!

The way it works: anyone can be a member and there are no penalties if you're busy one month. Try to finish one UFO each month. Once it's finished, post a picture and description here. We'll ooh and ahh. Try to finish another one next month.

This can also work if you need ideas for how to finish yours or encouragement. I want this to be an area where we can support each other in getting through our UFOs for 2010.

And the way I differentiate a UFO with a WIP - a UFO is something that you put down awhile ago and don't feel a strong desire to pick up again since there are more exciting things to do. So pretty much any of those projects that you put into your closet and forgot about qualify.

So everyone's challenge/goal: 1 UFO completed by January 31, 2010. Good luck!

**********annoying Moderatorish note from PatriceJ**********

"finished" means all the way done and ready to use.

personally, i also count as "finished" anything i've given or traded away because i know i'll never follow through with it until it's properly done. (i prefer to give rather than trade. if i trade then all i get for my trouble is another stinkin' UFO! :lol:

SWAPPING is NOT part of this challenge. naturally, if members want to trade between themselves that's just fine. i mean only that it isn't a part of this and should be done separately between individuals.

here's wishing all of us good luck and LOTS of energy in 2010! :lol:

Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM

WannabeQuilter: UFO is UnFinished Object. This challenge is to finish all those projects sitting in boxes, waiting. I need to do this, too.

Join the fun! And if you have no unfinished objects this year, just wait until next (month/year?). Every quilter I know has at least one project that they started and did not, for whatever reason, complete! I hesitate to say how many I have. :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: