Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unappreciative people question >

Unappreciative people question

Unappreciative people question

Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM

I think you made the right decision not to make the quilt, but I think the throw is still a good idea.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Giving of the quilt is one step, but the previous steps ie: selecting, rumaging, thinking, cutting, designing, etc. is the gift you give to yourself. They may not appreciate it, but maybe their kids will. How many of you have received quilts that were handed down? That person mat not like it, but they may know someone who would appreciate it and give it to them as a gift. The warm fuzzies are there.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:31 PM

I really felt I should answer your question since I had a past experience that taught me to think about who I am giving a quilt to. I made a quilt for my grandaughter when she graduated from high school. It took months to make with family pictures and pictures of her through the years and I was so proud of it and couldn't wait to give it to her. I was visiting some months later and saw the quilt on the floor with the dog lying on it. I was heartbroken! I don't feel it was deliberate neglect, she just did'nt understand the work that had gone into it. I love her and I know she loves me......but........no more quilts. :(
finnegan's mom
Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Finnegan's mom
I really felt I should answer your question since I had a past experience that taught me to think about who I am giving a quilt to. I made a quilt for my grandaughter when she graduated from high school. It took months to make with family pictures and pictures of her through the years and I was so proud of it and couldn't wait to give it to her. I was visiting some months later and saw the quilt on the floor with the dog lying on it. I was heartbroken! I don't feel it was deliberate neglect, she just did'nt understand the work that had gone into it. I love her and I know she loves me......but........no more quilts. :(
finnegan's mom
I probably would have sat down and cried!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 PM

that makes me tear up!
:cry:
Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 PM

You can always make a quilt and donate it to a worthy cause in that person/groups name.
One of the girls at my work ask to make a quilt, she was wiling to give me $50.00 for it. I explained the cost and hours it takes...she was flabbergasted. She had no idea.
I think my one boss had it correctly, educate them and they will understand.

Take them on an outing if possible to the local quilt shop or show and let them see first hand how much effort it takes to make one.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Originally Posted by Finnegan's mom
finnegan's mom
I probably would have sat down and cried!
ok I have a confession, when I was first married we were given a quilt by my husbands's grandma and it was a regular size and we had a queen size bed so we didn't use it but when I had babies I would put in on the floor for them to lay on and we'd take it in the car in the winter for them to snuggle under. I wonder if her feelings were hurt to see it on the floor. I had no idea but I now am the very proud owner of several of her quilts and I treasure them. And I have two very old and frayed quilts on my quest room twin beds. Some things take time to appreciate and your grand daughter will too at some point and you can have a stash of very nice quilts ready for her to love.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM

I grew up knowing how to sew from a very young age. I made doll clothes, clothing for myself and then clothing and doll clothes for my children. My mother (a former home ec teacher) started quilting again in her 70's, I think. She made a quilt for each of her children and grandchildren. When she died, she had a wall of COTTON fabric. My brother promised it to a friend of hers that quilted. That was OK with me, as I was more interested in sewing clothes at the time with poly cotton that didn't need ironing. Now I wish I had her COTTON fabric as I finally got into quilting. Oh ya, there were a few older quilts in the house and my sister-in-law decided to take them for her girls. I have girls too, but at the time I thought that if I wanted to, I could make them some myself. So you see, sometimes it matters what stage in life one is in to appreciate quilts.
Go with your daughter to meet with the art quilter if you can. It would be a way to connect and then maybe she could come to appreciate your quilts as art too.
Sorry about being so long winded.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:38 AM

I'm inclined to say that if your goal for the gift is to have them appreciate your work, then don't make it for them. But is there's a project YOU want to do, and just can't keep one more quilt, then you have less emotion involved, and it is easer to let it go and not worry whether they appreciate it enough.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 AM

Gift giving is not about the person doing the giving. It’s all about the one who is on the receiving end. A gift, especially one for your DH’s sister and her husband in celebration of their wedding anniversary, should be chosen based on what you think would bring them joy, suit their taste and lifestyle, and make them think of you with love and gratitude. If that is not a quilt, then why even consider it as a gift choice? To call her unappreciative because her taste is different than yours is not really fair. If you liked dark chocolate and she liked white chocolate, which would you give her?