Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unappreciative people question >

Unappreciative people question

Unappreciative people question

Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 AM

For me personally, I make quilts because I love the fabric, or the pattern speaks to me. I have given very few away. Mostly I just gift baby quilts. When I have made a quilt for someone, they were involved with the fabric selection, style, ect. I found that when a person is involved with the choosing, they tend to be excited about the results.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 AM

If it were me, I wouldn't bother making her a quilt. I might make him one for his birthday, though. I'd just give them a store bought Christmas present. I'd hate to think you quilt could end up at Goodwill.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM

The thing that I find that works really well is to select the fabric with the receipent and then they really look foward to it and appreciate it. I am now sending a quilt to a girl friend. we selected the pattern and the fabric together. She cannot wait to see the finished product. We made the selections two years ago ......I have several other jobs.

It is still a surprise because the finished quilt is greater than the selected fabrics. The process created a sense of ownership that leads to appreciation and folks recognized that it is especially for them...

So maybe when your sister in law comes you can select the pattern and fabric with her.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM

I agree, if they won't take care of them, make quilts for someone who will care! I love quilting and have made a lot of baby quilts for a hospital, and then changed to making quilts for one of our guild projects. Please don't let anyone have that much control over you! Make what you enjoy and give them to someone who will appreciate your hard work and the love you put into your passion for quilting.
Haven't quilted for several months and sure miss it! Finally gave in and had surgery on my right wrist yesterday. Two more weeks and I will start quilting again, just in time for Christmas for the babies!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM

PS....I also include washing and care instruction with the quilt. Most people just don't know what kind of care is required.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Being new to quilting, I have struggled with this. My husband will inquire, "Why are you making that for XYZ? They won't appreciate it." And, deep down, maybe they won't, but that's not why I made it. I made it as a gift, and after its left my house, I have to let it go. I do wonder if the quilt is wearing well, etc., but I'd hate to ask and seem like I want more accolades.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM

I made a baby quilt for my best friends step-daughter. My friend saw it t and thought it was perfect. She took it to her and later told me how much she liked it. I never heard a word but do not take it personally. Some folks are just like that. Life is too short to waste time worrying about it. Just get on with the quilting.....and the fabric is calling!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

It is much more fun to do things for and give things to appreciative people.

That said, there are people in this world who may fall in one of these other categories:

1) They appreciated/liked whatever but didn't have enough sense to acknowledge/thank the giver

2) They did not like/appreciate whatever but didn't want to hurt the giver's feelings

3) They did not like/appreciate whatever and didn't care if they hurt the giver's feelings.

To me, a true gift for me is something I want - not something someone else thinks I should want. For example, a coffeemaker, when I don't drink coffee, is not an exciting gift. Nor do I think a gift certificate to my LQS to someone that HATES all sewing and craft projects would be particularly welcomed, even though it's something I would really be happy to receive.

As others have said, think of what the RECIPIENT would want when giving a gift - and also what you are willing to give -

Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Kim,
I wouldn't waste all that time and effort into making a quilt for them if they both wouldn't treasure or appreciate it. You could make one, if your heart leads you in that direction, and then donate it for a raffle letting them know that is what you had done. Another good cause would be to make one for a church. It could be used for what I call a 'sermon quilt'. The pastor would have it put on the floor for the little ones to sit on while he is giving the children's sermon. It makes the kids stay in one place instead of swinging from the communion rail or running behind the pulpit.
Just some ideas.
Chris from AZ
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
No one in my family appreiciates quilts so I dont give them out anymore.
Only two kinda like quilts but they do not take care of them.
I made a jewel box quilt for my oldest dauther. She left it in her dauthers car and it ended up at her house permently. Since then my oldest has told me about a woman she met who is famous for art quilts and wants me to meet her. She is impressed by her work. I am not an art quilter and will never be that good. It has hurt my feelings and I havnt been interested in quilting since.
She may not have meant anything at all by saying that, just that you might enjoy meeting another quilter. To her, maybe a quilt is a quilt and not really see much difference in them.